Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage legs!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I've been wearing cycling shorts so long that the look doesn't even bother me, but there are skorts (which I tend not to like just because the inner shorts are very short), and light overskirts, too.
    Funny you mention the short under shorts...I'm actually fine with the shorts being short. I just hate the squeezing that goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaG View Post
    Thanks for all the info!!! I'll be looking up all of these brands asap as I'm getting my new bike in a couple weeks!!!!! Also, one other question.....which shorts do you recommend using for a century?
    That's very individual, but generally the more expensive shorts will keep you comfortable for more miles.

I still haven't found quite the right ones, but my Pearl Izumi Elite shorts are probably at the top of the list right now. The longer cut ones should minimize the sausage leg. I'd like to try the LG Neo Power shorts, but they're a little spendy for me right now.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    That's very individual, but generally the more expensive shorts will keep you comfortable for more miles.

I still haven't found quite the right ones, but my Pearl Izumi Elite shorts are probably at the top of the list right now. The longer cut ones should minimize the sausage leg. I'd like to try the LG Neo Power shorts, but they're a little spendy for me right now.
    I also want to try the LG Neo Power shorts, but too much money for me too I did just look up the Gore shorts and they have a pretty wide price range and are looking the least hideous to me at the moment...I'm riding the STP this summer so I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point on price, and I'm guessing after 200 miles and seeing the beer garden at the end, I'm not really going to care a whole lot about the short stocky sausages I'm walking around on. There are other ones from LG though as well that don't have the leg grippers...how important are the grippers really?

I have a pair of the LG Neo Power shorts and love them. They are great for longer rides. They also fit a little longer than some other w's shorts, but also they run smaller, so keep that in mind.

I also have some of the PI Pro Series shorts. They are also comfortable, but the LG's win out over them in the end. However they are shorter and the fit is more true to size.

I find that spending the money on a good pair of shorts is well worth the money if you can swing it. They last longer and will keep you riding in comfort longer.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

I have a Scott shorts that squeeze my thighs and they are shorter than my other ones. Also as somebody already mentioned: Craft have nice comfortable models with wide line at the end.
    I envy men, they look so cut and shredded in their shorts. We have to have totally fat-free legs not to have the sausage effect.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaG View Post
    Funny you mention the short under shorts...I'm actually fine with the shorts being short. I just hate the squeezing that goes on.
    That's why I don't like them though, when they're that short, the grippers have to be super tight, so my legs/the shorts grippers rub against the saddle nose, and often the shorts liner rides up in spite of that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I find the Terry liner is OK for rides < 20 miles. I also bought a Sugoi liner about 6 years ago (on TE, of course) that fits me really well and I tend to wear that under any skorts or baggies, which I wear when doing errands, casual stuff. I did ride 50 miles on the Cape Cod Rail Trail in a skort, a couple of years ago. Not fast, but still, it was 50 miles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    I have a Scott shorts that squeeze my thighs and they are shorter than my other ones. Also as somebody already mentioned: Craft have nice comfortable models with wide line at the end.
    I envy men, they look so cut and shredded in their shorts. We have to have totally fat-free legs not to have the sausage effect.
    My thoughts exactly! Again, men are getting off easy. "Nice thighs bro...what'd you have for lunch??? Fried chicken??" Not fair. hahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I find the Terry liner is OK for rides < 20 miles. I also bought a Sugoi liner about 6 years ago (on TE, of course) that fits me really well and I tend to wear that under any skorts or baggies, which I wear when doing errands, casual stuff. I did ride 50 miles on the Cape Cod Rail Trail in a skort, a couple of years ago. Not fast, but still, it was 50 miles.
    I'm looking for 100+ miles shorts. I think I'm just going to have to try and try and try again.

I highly recommend the Terry Bellas. I have done 60-70 miles in them, no sausage effect. I also love Sugoi RS shorts. They are a little shorter and not quite as compressive, though.
    My previous response was in regard to the post about skirts, over skirts, etc.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

+1 on the Terry Bellas. Comfy for long rides, wider legs, and grippers to keep the legs down.

Crankin, you and I seem to like similar bike clothing. I'm glad to know that you love the Sugoi RS shorts. I've been gun-shy about trying them because I have disliked all of the other super popular shorts endorsed on TE. I think that I''m going to pull the trigger on a pair of Sugois when the weather warms up.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    +1 on the Terry Bellas. Comfy for long rides, wider legs, and grippers to keep the legs down.

Crankin, you and I seem to like similar bike clothing. I'm glad to know that you love the Sugoi RS shorts. I've been gun-shy about trying them because I have disliked all of the other super popular shorts endorsed on TE. I think that I''m going to pull the trigger on a pair of Sugois when the weather warms up.
    I used to love the RS short circa 2006-2008, but later model years weren't as comfortable, and the fit changed a bit. Admittedly, I haven't tried the most recent model (they changed the waist band). I switched to their Evolution short last year. The price point was better and I find them to be about as comfortable as the older RS.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

DH bought me 2 pair of the RS shorts when TE had that sale a few months ago. Although they look exactly the same as the 2 pair I bought last winter, as well as some older ones I have, I found that the chamois seems a little wider, right where it meets the crease of my legs, and was annoying. Washing them has softened them out a little, but since I haven't ridden that much since I got them, they haven't been used a lot. It's not as bad as the Gore chamois in pair of tights I bought from someone on TE. Those were so wide, they were definitely an instrument of torture for me. I think I mentioned this on another thread and someone said Sugoi had quality control issues. The waistband and length were still the same, though and I am hoping they will soften up.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Indy, I had forgotten that you switched to the Evolution after Sugoi changed the RS. Is the Evolution fabric much lighter than the RS? I noticed that Sugoi calls the Evolution chamois by a different name than the RS chamois. Is the chamois in the Evolution mostly the same as the RS? Maybe Sugoi will fix some of their quality control issues in 2013.

Crakin, your input on chamois width is helpful. I like the Terry Bellas in part because their chamois is narrower than other popular brands like the LG Neo Power and Gore Oxygen. I want sleek black shorts, slightly heavier fabric, and a narrow chamois that doesn't feel like a board right out of the package. The Terry Bellas meets all of those criteria except for their gosh darn contrasting thread. I don't want my rear-end framed with gray or pink stitching.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

If you're just going by photos of the LG Neo Power and haven't tried them on, the "wings" of the chamois are extremely thin, and the "business" part of it is plenty narrow for me. Chamois that are too wide and/or too thick are a big issue for me too (the Sugoi shorts I've tried on fall into this category), but I get along really well with my LG's except for the forward length, oddly, which probably has to do with my very low rise ... the chamois kind of sticks out over my mons when I'm in riding position (NOT standing, it's plenty flexible), and the pedaling motion wears out the lycra in that area sooner than it ought.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler