Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Footed tight recommendation for under a wool knit skirt

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just bought this skirt without thinking through the friction issue. I really don't want to deal with a slip but I think the skirt and matte finish tights would be a friction disaster. However, it's been a long time since I bought, or wore, tights and a skirt. Do you all have a recommendation for a footed winter tight?

And what about size recommendations? I find it absurd that Smartwool sizes tights by shoe size rather than height and weight. Has anyone worn Krimson Klover tights?

http://www.skhoop.us/merino-skirt.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

OMG. I just cruised Nordy's site. Here in Bend we are so protected from the fashion world. As yellow's husband would say, we must "fend off the raging synchilla."

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-t...origin=leftnav

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I find it absurd that Smartwool sizes tights by shoe size rather than height and weight.
    Speaking as someone whose feet are all out of proportion to the rest of me, and can't wear many footed tights for just that reason ... they need to size by all three!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ha, for me the crotch would be down around my knees.

I usually just go into Nordies at the beginning of winter and buy a whole bunch of different ones to find what I like best. I have found that sizing up reduces the crotch at the knees effect. But I have long and thickish legs. I love tights and skirts/boots in winter. It's practically all I wear for work.

I tend to go for thicker ones - some of the ones that Nordies link has seem more like nylons than tights to me. The point is warmth and durability. Some of those look like they'd be more appropriate for Vegas....
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I usually just go into Nordies at the beginning of winter and buy a whole bunch of different ones to find what I like best. I have found that sizing up reduces the crotch at the knees effect. But I have long and thickish legs. I love tights and skirts/boots in winter. It's practically all I wear for work.
    Good idea! I'll just run down to my local Nordies . . . .

You have a brand and model you'd recommend, Oh Tall One?

Might we have a shopping opportunity in a couple of weeks....?

Problem is I don't see much of the stuff I see in the store on the website link you sent. Closest one is something like this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstro...l&resultback=0

Those look really nice - and similar to ones I have which I am pretty sure were Nordies brand. They may even be the same ones - it is so hard to tell from the picture/description. There don't seem to be any labels in any of the ones I have, so I don't know what I actually have.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Might we have a shopping opportunity in a couple of weeks....?
    Ah, or you could just bring me a pair of what you have. I wear a C/D in Hanes (yup, up a size for the crotch issue). Wouldn't want to take away from your other opportunities for fun.

I may run down to our Macy's and peruse the two pairs they might have on hand. I think our Safeway has the same square footage.

Little did I know that you can wear ankle boots with short skirts . . . maybe I should get some scrunchy leg warmers too.

If you like wool tights, I had a good experience ordering from here - http://warmlegwear.com

I bought a bunch of pairs of the Merino blend tights last year for a long trip. I decided that for packing purposes and dressing (not looking too much like a tourist..) purposes it might be better to have tights and skirts rather than jeans or pants - worked beautifully. The tights and skirts were small to pack and easy to wash on the go. They were also very warm. We were in Scotland over Christmas and Japan over New Years and I think I only put on the base layer tights I took once because I thought it was too cold.

I've had the tights for about a year now - I wear them *a lot* (I'm one of those cold all the time people) and except for the toes, they are just now starting to show wear - some small holes have appeared on several pairs and some pilling has happened on the brown pair. I have had to repair the toes... if my toes nails on my big toes are at all long they do end up making a hole..., but I'm not wearing them with open toe shoes, so I haven't worried about that.

As far as sticking to skirts - There's only one or two that I seem to have that problem with and most of my skirts are unlined.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks! I assume you bought these? How was the length? I know you're on the vertically-challenged side.

I think mine are all the rib or tonal rib varieties - seems like they are always out of most colors of the smalls in the flat knit ones. The length on the smalls is fine for me. Crotch to foot is fine (I have a 29ish inseam to the floor, 28 to ankle) Crotch to waist is kind of high, but this doesn't bother me - just means that I don't have a cold spot between my skirt and my sweater In any case, they aren't any different than most pairs of panty hose/ tights I've ever had - they always fit me like that. They are only about 1/2 wool, so they do have a decent amount of stretch and they don't get baggy. They are quite warm and surprisingly wind resistant.
    Last edited by Eden; 01-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thanks for the information filled review!

Wow - great site, Eden. I could get in trouble on that....
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Sigh, I guess I am the only living woman left who still wears a slip. Actually, what I wear is what my mom used to call "petti-pants," (i.e. petite pants), a short slip like pair of shorts, over my tights. I have mostly lined skirts, but i have a few wool or plushy type dresses that I have to have a slip for. I don't have wool tights, just regular ones, though. I might look at the site, Eden.
    I am one of the few people where I work that wears skirts or dresses. I am also the oldest. I don't wear them everyday, but I have to have a difference between my work and play clothes. I find it hard to wear jeans, even to do in home therapy. Black jeans, OK, blue, not so much.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Deleting almost everything.

Yeah, I'm feeling cranky this morning. I've heard too many responses this week that begin with a negative, implied or otherwise.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 01-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.