Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to buy a bicycle rack and looking for input

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone:

So I just bought my first road bike, and I'm looking forward to taking it out in the spring to lovely countryside rides (it's a little too cold to ride it outside just now, in Toronto). I am having a hitch installed on my Toyota Corolla and wondered if any of you have had experiences with hitch-mounted bicycle racks that you would like to share?

I am looking at a Saris Freedom model. It has wheel trays, so you rest the wheels on them rather than hang the bike from loops. I am totally not coordinated or handy about these things - simple is better, for me!

Anyways, it's a whole new (scary) world and I'd love input! Thanks.

I had a Saris Thelma, which works on a similar principle. It was really easy. That is, until I broke the car wash when I went through with it on and they banned me!
    I bought a station wagon and now just put the bike in the car.

I've a hitch-mount Thule rack - the kind that folds out and you set the wheels of the bike in trays like your Freedom. Just resign yourself to washing the car by hand I do not regret getting this style of rack though it is more expensive than some others. The wheel trays are great and easy to use!

I just bought a Saris Freedom rack with my XMas bonus. I got it mainly because it got good reviews and the price was right. Also, I bought it at REI and get 10% rewards cash back on it and they have a GREAT return policy.

I plan to use it this Sat as we are supposed to have temps in the mid 50's

Almost forgot, this rack is very light...my ship weight was 23lbs. I loved that is is light and I can hook it up myself rather than always need DH to help me.

I'll post a review here after then...
    Last edited by Trek-chick; 01-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

A co-worker has this one, loves it, and I'm thinking of getting it as well, though am still in research mode.

http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A309.../dp/B000UUK276

I really want one of these, but I need for two bikes, and just can't quite justify the price.

http://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Well after a morning of research, I think I'm going to go with the Saris Freedom because the wheel trays look like something me and my Corolla can handle. Also, its what my LBS sells. I would prefer to buy it from them than a Thule or Yakima from Rack Attack, where I'm getting my hitch installed. This is because I need hand-holding. I admit it. I'm ashamed of it, but I admit it. There's no DH or significant other, so I rely on helpful salespeople to show me what to do, like when I bought my bike at the LBS, I needed a lot of hand-holding and I got it.

The thing is, I'll tell you this: I NEVER expected to pay so much for a bike rack. Well, the rack is the affordable part - about $250 - but the cost of the hitch is incredible - about $350 - maybe because they have to be shipped in from the States to Canada. I also pay for installation. I admire you ladies who are handy with tools and mechanical things! Still, I nearly fainted when I found out how much it was going to cost to drive my bike around!

One further question: Do you keep your bike rack on the car or do you take it on/take it off as need be? I get the part about never going through the carwash, thanks for that!

Note to murielalex: that 1Up rack looks fantastic, I'd get it in a second if it were available anywhere in Toronto!

For a hitch rack I leave it on, indeed it is still on in the winter because I do drive my bike to ride when the weather is nice enough. Besides, I don't have the strength to get it on/off easily, so I just keep it well lubed to keep things from rusting/getting stiff.

Like Catrin, my husband and I have the Thule rack. He only puts it on the car when we plan to use it which is generally about every other weekend. We mostly use it for long trips and for mountain biking. Most of our road biking rides are done straight from home. If it were just me, I'd leave it on like Catrin does because it's king of heavy. It sounds like the Saris Freedom rack is lighter, so in that case, it might depend on how often I planned to use it. I suppose there's some chance of theft (or does it have a locking mechanism?), so that would be a consideration, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Catrin, do you use something like WD40? Just spray it on?

I have a Yakima heavy duty rack that I like a lot. However, it is hard to get on and off because of the weight. It folds up nicely and stays on my car all summer. My spouse doesn't like it because it is so heavy.

Muriel, we also have a rack that looks like the rack in your first link. It is much lighter than the Yakima and I can easily use it myself. However, those center thingies that hook over the top tube of the bike are fussy. They sometimes are difficult to get up and down. The foam covering on our's moved and the metal ended up scratching my bike. At least it was my ratty hybrid. But the scratch is big and ugly. I do not like the rack other than the fact that it is light and easy to store. But my review is colored because of the scratch.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I'm really torn. I'm very tempted to get the single 1UP for the exact reason you listed and buy a second section when I have more free funds, but I plan on putting fenders on my Gunnar, and from what I can tell, that would probably be a no go. Yet, I have a Kirk coming in late Spring, and the last thing I want to do is worry about the paint, and I would. Right now I have a Saris Bones, and on the very first time I put my Gunnar on, it damaged the decals on the seat tube.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieS View Post
    Catrin, do you use something like WD40? Just spray it on?
    Yes, every place where there is a joint or screw. Which reminds me, it is about time to do that... It also keeps the arm moving nicely that comes up and over the bike tire. I've also noted that the bolt on the hitch needs retightening every great once in a while.

I bought the 1-UP this summer and have absolutely no regrets. Easy to install. I first took short trips first with the roadie- had great fears that my bike would fall off because it was so easy to put on. Spent a lot of time checking the rearview mirror Travelled to Tremblant from Toronto. Bike made it unscathed. Then another long 8 hour road trip back to Ontario. Windy weather. Bike is still intact. Took rack off for the winter- again - pretty easy. I will buy the add on for travelling with 2 bikes. Love this rack!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Oh, I'm so glad you posted! Are fenders out, as I suspect?