Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

We got the Kuat NV. We decided as much as we spent on our bikes it was worth spending a little more. It's nice, has an integrated bike lock and bike repair stand http://kuatracks.com/en/products/bike/the-nv/

It was a toss up between that one and the 1Up. The Kuat we could get local and a discount through our bike club so we went that direction.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Hmmm. I like. Does the cable have any kind of covering on it so it wouldn't damage paint?
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

It's not coated. Haven't had a problem with the paint so far. I suppose if I were worried I could wrap it with a towel or something....I'll be honest, that thought never crossed my mind.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I have the Saris T-bones rack which is very light and easy to take on and off the hitch.
    Weighs about 10-15 lbs so I can easily remove it. Also comes with a stand so you can use it to store bikes inside as well.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you posted! Are fenders out, as I suspect?
    I am not so sure. Our Yakima rack has a similar bar that goes over the wheel. My spouse puts his bike with fenders on that rack, he just doesn't force the bar down as hard as when it is directly on the wheel. Nevertheless, it seems stable. But maybe he is taking a risk, I just don't know.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Here is a photo of the Saris Freedom Rack in action. I LOVE this rack!!!! Easy set-up and getting the bike on/off is a breeze.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randomshotsXMAS2012020_zps8d451c95.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	15915
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Another vote for the Kuat. I have one on my Mini Cooper, and I *always* get comments about it. It's spiffy-easy to use, love the integrated lock for those emergency grocery stops, and feels good and sturdy.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I am not so sure. Our Yakima rack has a similar bar that goes over the wheel. My spouse puts his bike with fenders on that rack, he just doesn't force the bar down as hard as when it is directly on the wheel. Nevertheless, it seems stable. But maybe he is taking a risk, I just don't know.
    We do the same thing with our Thule rack and our fendered touring bikes--but only for short trips. When we drove out to Maine this past fall (21 hours), we just removed the fenders and then put them back on when we got there. Same thing with a 5-hour drive to Saint Louis two years ago. It's not that hard to install them and it gave us a bit more peace of mind.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you posted! Are fenders out, as I suspect?
    I think they would be. I am thinking of where that bar sits on my wheel and where fenders usually are.

I like that integrated lock on the Saris Freedom Rack! that would be the downside of the 1UP. I usually will make a stop or 2 on the way home from wherever I cycled that day. Threading a cable lock is a pain. Minor, but still a pain.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

My Thule has a lock on the arm that goes down over the wheel - to my mind that is better than a cable lock. There is an additional cable lock installed on the rack but it is optional - you have to purchase a lock core for it. To me the placement of it is awkward, I prefer the clock on the arm much better - much more difficult to cut.

Trek-Chick, What a great picture of your Saris Freedom! I am getting that exact rack this week. Plus a pin to keep it locked on the car. So excited. And it's several months away from outside cycling yet!
    2012 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Giant Cyclotron Mag II Trainer

OP have you already bought your hitch? Is there a reason you wouldn't want to get a rear mount bike rack? I, too, was determined to get a hitch until I realized 1) how much extra it would cost, and 2) possible damage to the hitch when going over bumps in the road since my car is pretty low. My initial concern with a rear mount rack was that it would scratch the paint on my car, so I was primarily only looking at hitch racks.

I ended up getting a rear mount Thule (I think it's the Raceway series) and I have no regrets. It takes me literally 30 seconds to put it on my trunk, and it folds up easily. I can shove it in my trunk during rides if I'm concerned someone is going to attempt to steal it (even though it has a lock). My only regret is that I didn't get the model that holds 3 bikes. Mine only carries 2. There have been a number of occasions when carrying an extra bike would've come in handy. I've used it for about 2 years and there isn't a single scratch on my car.

Well thank you for all the good advice! This thread discussion lead me to choose and purchase my first bike rack, the saris freedom. Here it is on my Corolla. Haven't put a bike on it yet, but this makes me very eager to get going - as soon as the snow clears, of course! Just FYI this costs about $100 more in Canada than in the US!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saris.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	16071
    2012 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Giant Cyclotron Mag II Trainer

I just wanted to follow up with this thread and say that I ended up getting the 1UP. I had to wait two weeks for UHaul to order my hitch, but it only took five minutes to set it up. I'm getting a hitch on my other car next week, and like how I'll be able to switch it out easy peasy. I'm quite happy with it.

Last edited by murielalex; 04-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66