Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lighting a fire, top-down

To disable ads, please log-in.

We moved in November, and are now the happy owners of a modern "clean-burning" woodstove. (We're also the proud owners of an enormous splitting axe, a temporarily non-functioning circular saw and our very own woodpile, the size of which gives me immense satisfaction )

We've also been introduced to a new method of starting a fire, from the top down. Now I grew up with The Way of lighting a fire being kindling and paper at the bottom, then small pieces, then larger pieces of wood. Top-down is exactly the opposite - large pieces at the bottom, then smaller, finally kindling on top, and light it. The idea is that the heat helps start a good draft, wood doesn't need direct contact with the flames to ignite, and gases issuing from the bottom ignite before leaving the stove, plus the pile is very stable and doesn't collapse.

I can see that the top-down works, but I still find it very counter-intuitive, and still find myself sticking a large piece on top "not to waste" all those flames...

Those of you with woodstoves, how do you light a fire?

PS. We have this stove:
    http://www.jotul.com/en/wwwjotulus/M...s/Jotul-F-373/
    except it's a more basic model without the side panes of glass. We have it mounted on a rotating plinth instead so that we can turn the glass door to see the flames from wherever we're sitting. Or turn it just to get away from the heat, it gives off huge amounts of heat in full blast.
    Last edited by lph; 01-10-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: added link
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I have a Petit Godin. Sadly, I have not used it since the winter of 2010-11 because it has not been cold enough. It is designed to be lit from the bottom, and that's what I used to do back when we actually had winters. Looking at 70F this weekend, though.

Jotuls are excellent stoves; enjoy!

Bottom up! I have a small stove model. I don't think the top down thing would work, but who knows. My fires start really easy and draft just fine so I don't think I'll be switching soon.

It's been probably 15 years since we used our woodstove (since it has no emissions controls), but it wouldn't light unless we built the fire the traditional way, bottom up. No amount of holding a burning newspaper by the flue was enough to create a draft.

It wasn't that the bigger logs wouldn't light unless they were in contact with the flame, it was that the pyramid of the bigger logs created a venturi that allowed the draft.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-10-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have lit top down. There are decent videos online to show you how. It works just fine! We have a nice low emmision soap stone stove and have not turned the furnace on once this winter (pretty nice for Michigan)!
    Touring this great country, one State at a time! Michigan Summer 2013.

I'm so happy with having a woodstove I'll be sad to see warmer weather come in.

While our cat of course thinks it's the greatest thing since cat food...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyrapeis.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	15893
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

That's a lovely stove - and cat!

I really need to learn how to do a fire right in the wood stove we have. My husband is such a pyromaniac that he just does it, then when I am by myself in the house that has the wood stove (which isn't often, granted), I never know what to do. I'm going to have to look up one of those videos Slowspoke mentioned!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I love the top-down method, though it requires me to split more wood down for our small woodburning insert than a bottom-up fire does.

We have a lot of burn bans here because of inversion layer no matter how efficient they are. We finally pulled ours out and put in a gas stove.

edit - We have a lot of burn bans here due to inversion layers. All wood stoves are banned at certain times, no matter how efficient. We pulled ours and put in a gas stove.
    Last edited by Irulan; 01-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    We have a lot of burn bans here because of inversion layer no matter how efficient they are. We finally pulled ours out and put in a gas stove.
    I wish they'd do that here. The outdoor wood stoves have gotten really popular in the last three or four years, and people just don't even care what kind of wood they burn in those. Big clouds of smoke from wet moldy uncured softwoods just everywhere. Especially with all the storm damage, people have a lot of green wood this year.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    We have a Jotul insert.
    The thing gives out tremendous amounts of heat.
    We also have a stock o' wood out in the back yard and my DH was just lumberjacking yesterday, bringing up logs that had been cut and drying in the hollow in our back yard and splitting them to add to the rack.
    We do a bottom up light. DH is a believer in having a nice bed of hot coals to get things roaring.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle