Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Garmin Edge 810 - live tracking feature

To disable ads, please log-in.

Garmin has just introduced the Edge 810 gps/cycle computer. A review is here.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/g...st-ride-review

I haven't read the whole thing carefully -- my Edge 500 is less than a year old so I have no plans to replace it at this time. But this jumped out at me, since it looks like a useful safety feature --

"A new LiveTrack feature shares your ride progress in almost real time. Data transfers at regular intervals from the Edge unit to a connected smartphone, which then relays it to selected recipients – or to all of your Facebook friends or Twitter followers.

This should be a boon for solo riders who would like to reassure loved ones they're safe..."

If this unit had been available a year ago, that feature would have made me strongly consider spending the extra money for an 810 instead of a 500 or 510.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

iMapMy (either Android or iOS) has that feature without any additional hardware. If you can leave your phone's GPS off and still use the feature on the Garmin, that would alleviate a lot of battery life concerns, though (although my new phone has WAY better battery life than my old one used to). You'd still need to be in cell phone range, which is the #1 drawback of any of this stuff. I just can't bring myself to carry around the weight of a SPOT.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I also use Glympse for the live tracking. Didn't know MapMyRide had it as well - I'll look at that.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

The new Garmin Edge 510 also has the live tracking feature. I got my new Edge 500 from REI only 10 days ago. I would have waited had I known that Garmin was coming out with live tracking within days of my purchase. I may take REI up on their return/exchange policy. I frequently mtb alone. Live tracking would give my husband and me some peace of mind.
    Last edited by Artista; 01-09-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Here is a review of the Edge 510, for anyone who's considering buying it (or just curious).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/g...st-ride-review

Gone but not forgotten:

This guys does some of the most extensive reviews I've ever seen. Very useful, he is. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    This guys does some of the most extensive reviews I've ever seen. Very useful, he is. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
    I agree! I hadn't had a chance yet to see if he had reviewed the 810 or 510. Thanks for the link.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I agree! I hadn't had a chance yet to see if he had reviewed the 810 or 510. Thanks for the link.
    810 is here, and the 510 is here. I really enjoy his reviews, and his blog has been pretty interesting lately (he moved to Paris recently)...
    Last edited by Blueberry; 01-09-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add more info
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...