Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never had a problem with my feet/ankles while riding so I guess I just never thought of it as that much of a hazard issue. It always seemed to me that it was a hazard prevention tactic. The more you know!

I feel better knowing that I don't "need" clipless... I ran into a group of sharp looking cyclists near the apothecary when I left the hospital and they were very disappointed that I didn't use clipless; apparently I couldn't be considered a cyclist unless I did!

Melalvai, I read your article and laughed a little. I just learned a week or so ago that bikes don't belong on sidewalks and are in fact allowed to use the actual road lanes, and your route sounds a little like the one I am faced with (narrow, steep drop offs...). It feels good to know others before me had to learn and adapt with the same learning experience.

One option if you're nervous about clipless is the bmx style pin platform pedal. The little pins dig into any soft shoe sole that's at least 1/4" thick, so they'll work with hiking boots, running shoes, even some dress shoes. Not quite as much grip as clipless, but not bad.
    Queen of the sea beasts

When I first brought home my Avail Inspire, all fitted at my LBS, I had such issues with falling and feeling insecure with stopping with the clipless pedal. Part of the problem was the first few times in trying to get on my bike the "right way" I snagged the chamois of my shorts on the seat and quickly became off balance. I did get to a point where once I was going I was fine, but i truly feared stopping, because that meant starting again. Finally, I lowered my seat barely 1/4 of an inch, maybe even closer to 1/8. Small change, big difference. From there I could start with one foot locked in and my butt on my seat. I do not use my feet to stop, but I do unclip, slow to almost a stop with my unclipped leg out and let it catch the ground when the bike has almost stopped with the front wheel turned slightly the opposite direction. Then I unclip the other foot, get it to the ground and come off the seat with both feet firmly on the ground. Not exactly proper, but it works for me and it sounds a bit higher than where you are at.
    L

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire