Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TRX Suspension Training

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anybody done this? I'm looking at a suspension system called a Jungle Gym that is similar to TRX but doesn't join in the middle so you can move each handle out. I'm trying to find something different that uses more muscle groups & falls into "functional" training - rather than bicep curls with dumbbells. Also, it is very portable, can be used at home or on the road, or in a park when the weather is nice.

I thought we had talked about this but did a search & found nothing - so apologies if I'm repeating a thread.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I remember a thread on this, perhaps in Other Sports? I seem to remember some discussion on how to build your own, but I might be confusing this forum with the one at Mark's Daily Apple. I've considered either a TRX or a Bosu for home, I really don't have room for either so I've not pulled the trigger either way.

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

OakLeaf - thanks!! I think I'm going to order the jungle gym. I'm a gym rat at heart but this is a hard time of year to go to the gym. So many new people coupled with colds & flu going around. I was in the locker room with a lady who was seriously sick but determined to keep that new year's resolution.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I own a Jungle Gym, and although the customer service is absolutely the worse of all of the big comapnies; they are the best quality straps. I bought a set for myself last July and can attest that suspension training is quick and can be very beneficial. I actually teach a couple of different suspension straps classes throughout the week and have seen a big difference with clients.

Good luck in your training!!

My trainer has some straps set up that we use some time for suspension training. Some of it is really hard. I like it just as another way to mix it up and keep workouts from getting too repetitive. I'd get bored if we did the same thing every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernyl View Post
    My trainer has some straps set up that we use some time for suspension training. Some of it is really hard. I like it just as another way to mix it up and keep workouts from getting too repetitive. I'd get bored if we did the same thing every week.
    Just did this this morning. I was embarrassed on how hard some really simple core exercises were for me. I guess that's why I need them, but still......
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

We did two TRX things today. The first had me also wearing a 20 pound weight vest. Holding the straps do a deep squat and when you come up, jump. Do in rapid succession.

The second was one legged burpees with one foot in the strap.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    We did two TRX things today. The first had me also wearing a 20 pound weight vest. Holding the straps do a deep squat and when you come up, jump. Do in rapid succession.

The second was one legged burpees with one foot in the strap.

Veronica
    Veronica, are you comfortable with that second one? My body just rebels when I try that and I think it is because I am a bit nervous to really commit myself to the movement.

Yes, I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I think I have really good balance.

Shawna has been incorporating balance stuff since day 1 and it just gets more interesting.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I think I have really good balance.

Shawna has been incorporating balance stuff since day 1 and it just gets more interesting.

Veronica
    It depends on what it is where balance is concerned for me. Pistol squats are a problem for me, but I can easily do single-leg RDLS or rows - but of course those are quite different movements.

Bought the Jungle Gym

I bought the Jungle Gym - basically a TRX that isn't joined in the middle. It's awesome & kicking my butt. I consider myself pretty strong - I've been lifting weights seriously for 15 years. Body weight training that makes you use all of the muscles is really hard. You can easily set up metabolic training on this. Add in a jump rope & you never have to go to a gym again!

I've been using it attached to a door and it doesn't make ANY marks at all. The straps adjust easily. They are plenty long enough. The handle/foot cradles are soft plastic. The foot cradles are super easy to get in & out of. I bought it through Amazon because I wanted it quickly, as I'm going to San Fran for a dog obedience conference. Also, there is a lot of flu going around and I've witnessed a ton of people hacking, coughing and still working out.

I can't wait to get it outside - it was 18 degrees this morning (seriously? In AZ??) so it may be a few days. But so far, I love it. There a lots of u-tube videos demonstrating different exercises. The set comes with a DVD and instructions as well. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Dogmama; 01-15-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama - are you still liking your Jungle Gym? I am moving this fall and am strongly considering this as I will have an actual "fitness room" in my new apartment

I do still like it. It's a lot less expensive than the TRX and I think it has better features. You can separate the ropes whereas the TRX is attached in the middle. The foot cradles are easy to get it & out of & they easily double as hand holds. I've had it in my patio in the desert heat & it is still as good as new!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I do still like it. It's a lot less expensive than the TRX and I think it has better features. You can separate the ropes whereas the TRX is attached in the middle. The foot cradles are easy to get it & out of & they easily double as hand holds. I've had it in my patio in the desert heat & it is still as good as new!
    This is good to know, thanks! I don't have enough room in my current apartment, but my new one WILL have enough room.