Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Amazon Quality Going Down...?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anybody else noticed this? The last few things I've received have been defective/opened or obviously "seconds" from the sellers. I ordered some dog toys that have a horrible chemical smell. I ordered a travel mug that was very cheaply made but not cheap in price ($15). I have had two of the same kinds of coffeemaker (Bunn - $100) and both have broken in a short period of time. Amazon is great with returns but it's a giant PIA to box it up, mail it and then track the credit.

I'm looking at a suspension trainer system for $99 and am almost ready to order from Sears (at the same price) but I'll have to wait longer to receive it. I don't want anything that is a second from China - or whatever - to suddenly give out & land me on my nose.

Wondering if others have had that experience & if there is something going on with Amazon. It's interesting to read the reviews - some people have radically different experiences with the same product. It appears that different vendors fill orders for products so I'm wondering if some of them deal with cheap aftermarket knock offs. I wanted to order a Chi hair dryer but saw that the Chi company will not honor anything purchased through the Internet because China is making Chi knockoffs that don't last.

Internet ordering used to be so convenient but constantly returning things mitigates any convenience. IMO. TE excepted of course!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Is Amazon the seller, or are they just doing the transaction for another seller? I'm always extra cautious to investigate a seller when it isn't Amazon. When it is, I haven't had any trouble on a couple of recent orders.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

There have been quite a few third party sellers that are having their orders fulfilled by Amazon, allowing buyers to get the Prime shipping rates. I've had some issues with products that were sold by third party sellers, but I don't think I've had any issues with products sold by Amazon.

So if it says "sold by [third party seller] and fulfilled by Amazon", then I might be a little more hesitant.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    I've had some issues with products that were sold by third party sellers, but I don't think I've had any issues with products sold by Amazon.

So if it says "sold by [third party seller] and fulfilled by Amazon", then I might be a little more hesitant.
    This has been my experience as well- I'll often pay a couple bucks extra if I can buy it direct from Amazon rather than a third party (unless the third party is a known quantity).

I have had terrible experiences ordering from Amazon.com. The items were NOT as described on the website; I think this is because the sellers screw up, I don't think it's Amazon's fault specifically. It certainly is a PIA to return, and with the cost of shipping from Canada etc I've lost money. Now the only things I order from Amazon are Kindle books, no problems there.
    2012 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Giant Cyclotron Mag II Trainer

I have a bad amazon habit, and regularly shop there as opposed to going out. Maybe I should consider myself lucky, but I've never had a problem.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    I have a bad amazon habit, and regularly shop there as opposed to going out. Maybe I should consider myself lucky, but I've never had a problem.
    Same here. I even buy some food over Amazon. I can have it delivered to wherever my RV is parked.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Some might say I have an "Amazon problem". Between prime shipping & having a debit card on file, I can order with one click on my iPhone. I just looked up my account - I ordered about $1,100 of stuff in '12. We had to exchange a leather ottoman that had a small tear but other than that all items were just as described and in perfect condition. Prime shipping paid for initial shipping, return shipping & replacement shipping of that very heavy ottoman! I think the bulk of what I order is direct from Amazon so maybe that's why. I just love that they have everything you can imagine and 9x out of 10, it's cheaper too. With prime shipping, I get it in 2 days. Yeah Amazon!!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD