Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter 2013 stationary cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Let's share our indoor training for this winter here. I'll be the first with 2 trainings this year. Our icy streets and strong wind blowing keep me from going out

This is my workout on the 2nd. I did 3 times 8 minutes intervals with 2 minutes easy between.
    Today I did 5 times 3-minite intervals + one 5-minute interval. Rest between: 1 minute.

I know that the easy spinning between the intervals must be longer but my HR drops easily and it's difficult to raise it again.
    Usually I listen to Ministry of sound or some other dance music. Watching a movie distracs me and if I watch a movie, my spinning becomes easy to moderate which is a waste of time on the trainer.

I did an hour on the trainer on 1/1. I got a boxed set of Italy Rides from Global Rides for my birthday and we did Speed & Power in Italy. Obviously, very gorgeous scenery to distract you while you ride. Thom was on his rollers and learned that you can not lean with the riders.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I've been on my trainer for about a month now. I found a few free podcasts on iTunes, Get Cyc'd, that I have started doing.

I'm looking forward to what workouts others do....I need productive ideas!
    2011 Giant TCR Composite

Quote Originally Posted by molliewog View Post
    I'm looking forward to what workouts others do....I need productive ideas!
    You can have a look here: http://www.training4cyclists.com/how...ax-in-14-days/ I should say the program is quite demanding and you should be prepared to suffer. The good thing is that the workouts are short but rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    You can have a look here: http://www.training4cyclists.com/how...ax-in-14-days/ I should say the program is quite demanding and you should be prepared to suffer. The good thing is that the workouts are short but rewarding.
    Thank you! I will certainly give this a try.
    2011 Giant TCR Composite

Gym yesterday and Today but here is the past few rides in reverse. I have been riding the trainer during the week for the past month due to it being to cold and dark before and after work...

Wed- 10 min warmup then 90 mins at 160hr cadence 90-100rpm
    Tues- I ran 5 miles
    Mon-Off
    Sun- 2.15 hours.. I started with a 30 mins at 130 power then got bored and did 3 x 20 min on 10 off with the on being cadence over 120, hr around 160, then cool down(was supposed to have ridden on the road for 3.5 hours with hr avg 150 but it was way to cold and icy out).
    Sat- warm up then 6x6 on 3 off for the on, cadence around 65-70 hr 168-173 power tried to be around 200.

I vary between 4 different work outs on the trainer. The last one I did was warm up 6 minutes, 2 sets of one minute very high cadence spinning in an easy gear, with one minute recovery spin in-between, followed by 5X 2 minute high intensity (big ring for me) with 2 minute recovery interval in between each set. Then another 6 minutes of recovery spinning, followed by another set of the 5X2 minute drills, and 8 minutes cool down.
    I don't have 2 of the other work outs memorized, but one is 40 minutes, as opposed to an hour.They both have some one leg drills in there. The final one is part of the Cyclo-core training program and involves yoga and some high intensity drills for about 30 minutes.
    In the past, I did the entire Cyclo Core training program over the winter, but I generally use nordic skiing and time at the gym, spin class also during the winter, so I am not going to be a slave to that this year.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My lovely Gunnar is on the trainer....but...I...just...don't...want...to ride on the trainer. I am pretty much a gym rat right now, but I am afraid of loosing too much bike endurance. Part of me wants to ride on the trainer, part of me wants to do anything but... but I will try a spinning class Tuesday morning if my neck isn't bothering me too much (spin bikes gets its attention more than anything else).

So I need to get creative and spend SOME time on the trainer...let's see, what kind of reward can I give myself for getting on the trainer?

Today I wanted to go snow riding but after the long slow walk I was freezing, so I got on the trainer and did these intervals and after that some BW and free weights training.

Last night, a few of my teammates and I did The Sufferfest's "Angels" workout. Grueling! I thought I was going to die. I hate the trainer, but suffering with friends makes it easier to bear somehow. The Sufferfest workouts are quite good, with good music and no goofy clipboard-carrying coach. We'll be buying more.

Today's trainer workout is the shortest, but definitely the hardest for me.
    5 minutes warm up.
    5 minutes one legged drills, 30 sec. each leg, at level 1-2
    5 minutes fast spin (90+ rpm) in easy gear
    3 minute climbs, starting with it all seated and ascending by 30 seconds until it is all standing, with one minute easy spin intervals in between at level 4-5 difficulty (I think there are 7 of these)
    5 minute cool down

I never stand on the bike when I climb outside. Although I can actually stand on the trainer now, because I have it in the highest gear, my cadence is between 40 and 50. I am trying to concentrate on good form, rather than speed at this point. I sweat bullets despite the slow cadence.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Today's trainer workout is the shortest, but definitely the hardest for me.
    5 minutes warm up.
    5 minutes one legged drills, 30 sec. each leg, at level 1-2
    5 minutes fast spin (90+ rpm) in easy gear
    3 minute climbs, starting with it all seated and ascending by 30 seconds until it is all standing, with one minute easy spin intervals in between at level 4-5 difficulty (I think there are 7 of these)
    5 minute cool down

I never stand on the bike when I climb outside. Although I can actually stand on the trainer now, because I have it in the highest gear, my cadence is between 40 and 50. I am trying to concentrate on good form, rather than speed at this point. I sweat bullets despite the slow cadence.
    This looks very interesting, Crankin, and I will have to try it. I actually felt like getting on the trainer last night after work...but my knee continually complained even at a low resistance so I just called it good. Sometimes it does that and then relents, other times not. This looks like a nice short intense work session and that is what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    let's see, what kind of reward can I give myself for getting on the trainer?
    France has the right of it, if this video is anything to go by! I wonder how I can get a set-up like that at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    France has the right of it, if this video is anything to go by! I wonder how I can get a set-up like that at home...
    I saw this video about a year ago - pretty amazing! I bet I wouldn't be thinking about that twinging knee

The last few days I was riding outside and I noticed that if I had to push a little harder on the large gears, my legs got fatigued pretty fast. SO I remembered that I haven't done power in more than 2 or 3 months. I do speed intervals with figh HR but I do them in an easy gear. So yesterday I put the big ring in front
    Here's the HR on Garmin but the workout was:
    20 min warm up with 2 fast minutes thrown inbetween
    7 min power @50-60 cadence
    3 minutes >100 cadence
    3 minutes >100 cadence
    3 minutes >100 cadence
    8 minutes easy