Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Running with Resolve: January Runs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Time for a new thread!

Notwithstanding some overnight snow, I ran 4.2 miles outside this morning. It was about 27 degrees. My upper body felt great, but my Sugoi tights are just not cutting it. Still, it was a very pleasant run. I got a number of runs in during the holidays, and with every run I feel more like a runner and less like somebody who just picks it up here and there. I'm loving it. I hope the trend continues.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I ran 3.9 miles outside this morning. It was 28F when I started, and had dropped to 24F by the time I got home. Everything was warm enough after I got moving, except for the toes and chin. Why my chin and not my nose, I have no idea... Did have some excitement, though: I was chased by a Great Dane that probably outweighed me. He just kinda stepped over his fence and came galloping down the sidewalk towards me. I stopped, and he just wanted to be petted. Still, that'll wake you up in the early a.m.!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    You ladies are braving that cold weather!! Nicely done!
    Yeah, a giant Dane coming at me would surely wake me up in a HURRY!!

I've been having some issues with the changing of my blood pressure meds so I'm sticking to the treadmill since I find myself becoming dizzy and needing to sit down a few times during my runs. Hoping the doc calls me back today (I put in a call early Friday) to see if we can't change meds. I can't go more than 3 miles without feeling like I'm going to die (and I just did 10 miles easily before I started this new med).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

2.5 yesterday in the upper 20's when I went. Brrrr.

I love Great Danes, but what a wake up call!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    You ladies are braving that cold weather!! Nicely done!
    Yeah, a giant Dane coming at me would surely wake me up in a HURRY!!

I've been having some issues with the changing of my blood pressure meds so I'm sticking to the treadmill since I find myself becoming dizzy and needing to sit down a few times during my runs. Hoping the doc calls me back today (I put in a call early Friday) to see if we can't change meds. I can't go more than 3 miles without feeling like I'm going to die (and I just did 10 miles easily before I started this new med).
    That sounds scary, Tri Girl. I hope you get it straightened out soon. Keep us posted.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yesterday I did hill running and today I'm sore in the glutes and calves. My workout on Sportstracker, as well as two pictures and my heart rate on Garmin (I forgot the pace gadget at home).
    Tri girl, I hope your doc already handled the situation. Any news?

Looking at the weather forecast, I thought I'd be back to the treadmill this morning, but it turned out to be a beautiful not-too-cold morning. So I took my new pair of VFFs outside for their maiden run. 5.5 miles, with a detour to avoid the great dane's house.

TriGirl, hope the meds get straightened out quickly. That's got to be frustrating (and alarming).

5 days into 2013 and I finally went for a run. Easy 3 miler, but it's a start. I have a string of days off that will allow me to get back in a running routine (hopefully)
    I'm 2 weeks away from a 5K (that is usually my goal PR to get under 30 minutes) followed by a 10K. It's at the beach and normally a VERY cold weekend (no matter what the weather is before). Not sure I can sub 30 minute a 5K in my current shape (slow, minimal mileage, extra pounds)--but I'll give it a go!
    Expect a run report tomorrow too....maybe this forum can help hold me accountable!

K
    katluvr

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Thanks for the thoughts, ladies. My doc finally called me back (after 6 days) and changed the meds, but like a bad girl, I haven't been taking them. I was only borderline high with the BP anyway, so I stopped taking it while waiting for her to return my call and change the meds. For 3 days I've been off the meds and my numbers are in the normal or low prehypertension range. The reason she initially put me on it was because my readings are always in the 160/100 range when I go into her office. Of course they are, because I'm terrified of the doctor's office. Anyway- I'm going to monitor it for a week without the meds and then call her if the numbers are low enough that maybe I can get away with not taking it anymore. I hate medication and avoid them at all costs unless it's absolutely a necessity. I'm not going to mess around with BP, tho. I know it's the silent killer and will monitor it and take the meds if I absolutely have to.

I went for an 8 mile run yesterday, and wound up power-walking it more than running. It was so cold out there, my asthma was acting up and I couldn't get a good breathing rhythm down. It still felt good to be out there for 8 miles.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 01-06-2013 at 06:53 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Did 4.5 miles outside yesterday. By the time I got out, the clouds had already rolled in and the wind had picked up. It wasn't horrible, but as I mentioned earlier, my Sugoi tights aren't cutting it, even in temps where they should suffice. I ordered some Sporthill Saga tights from TE on Friday. I hope they're an improvement. My warmest top by far is a Sporthill, so I'm hopeful.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the incipient plantar fasciitis and all the other stuff I'm still healing from, my DOM advised me to take another easy week. I'm still hoping to be able to build mileage before April. Fingers crossed, wishing on stars, and honestly if it weren't for the stupid heel I'd be feeling super optimistic right now. Things are definitely looking up with the shoulder girdle - can the low back be far behind? I did a pretty strenuous yoga class yesterday and of course I'm sore all over, but it is really feeling like that's the missing piece to get everything back in alignment along with the OMM and acupuncture. I just didn't trust the yoga studios within driving distance "up north" to give the attention to alignment and the super detailed cues that my teacher here does. So a guarded yay. More than guarded, actually, when I did my first handstand in almost 8 months today (at the wall, but that's all I could do 8 months ago too) it literally made me cry for gratitude and joy. But as far as running miles, not much in the past week.

TriGirl, hope you get your meds sorted soon. Personally I think it's deceptive to call HTN a "silent killer," because honestly if it killed me it would be one of the most pleasant possible ways to go. I'm way more afraid of a NON-lethal stroke. And I'm also so white-coat-syndromey that I even started to get anxious about taking my BP at home. When I started seeing the DO this fall I was just stunned that except for the first visit, every time I went there my BP was like 110/70, numbers I don't think I'd ever seen before in my life. Non-threatening, non-invasive, clothes-on, effective treatment and a great deal of trust - was what it took for me to find out what my blood pressure REALLY is! I have heard and read a lot of people say that athletes shouldn't take beta blockers though, is it an ACE inhibitor that you're on?

Good running all - good job getting out there in that snow - or worse, the dreadmill!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It was forecast to be about 20F and breezy this morning, so I was foresightful and packed my gym bag last night. Woke up to find they'd gotten it wrong, and it was in the upper 20s with no wind at all. But I was already in treadmill mode mentally so it was off to the gym. Did my 4 miles in under 32:50, and had a stitch that only appeared when I was keeping an 8:15 pace. Slower, it went away. Faster, it went away. Weird.

The qym was a lot busier than usual this morning-- there were only 2 treadmills left when I got there. But it's the first Monday of the year, of course, and I'm sure things will return to normal soon!

Oak, I hope the PF resolves itself soon. But yay with respect to your shoulder! I don't do handstand at all (I baby my hands and wrists where I can when it comes to yoga because they get easily irritated), so I think any handstand practice--at the wall or otherwise--is pretty cool.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy. It's just that kind of thing that my yoga teacher is so wonderful with ... little cues like making sure we get all five metacarpal heads on the floor, weight them equally, then add all five finger pads, and never weight the wrists. How all the fascia is connected ... isometrically spreading the outer wrists spreads the collarbones and pushing the back of the wrist lifts the sternum ... things like that. I KNOW no one near me in Ohio knows how to cue hands and wrists to protect the shoulders.

In other news ... something that has NEVER happened to me before: I tried on a pair of shoes that were too big. Like, too big EVERYWHERE. I broke down and ordered three different pairs from RoadRunner just because LRSs rarely stock anything close to my size, and it's such a long drive anyway that they're hardly even local. Well, New Balance 1540 comes in women's EEEE, and not even RoadRunner stocks them, they had to ship directly from NB. I ordered my usual length (11) which is typically too long in the middle of my toebox where no one has feet anyway, but is usually the smallest that will begin to fit my outer toes and forefeet. Well, these shoes are too long in the toebox (expected), PLENTY roomy in the forefoot, roomy enough for my big toes, NOT overly wide in the heel (unlike the Clark's dress shoes I tried on one time, which all I could figure out was they must have been made for dowdy drag queens because they were totally the shape of the box they came in ). So they're going back ... being exchanged for a smaller size - actually one of the other pairs I ordered doesn't fit me at all, so I think I'm going to try the NB's in both 10 and 9.5. Which is totally astounding, since it's not unusual for me to wind up in a MEN's 9.5.

Another easy 5.5 for me today, nice day for running, heel doesn't feel too bad, going back to the DOM tomorrow (really he's got several qualifications in the sports medicine arena, not just Chinese medicine) and hopefully he'll clear me to start building miles again. I'm not planning to run the Daytona 5K this year since I haven't been training for speed at all ... but they run a half marathon that finishes on the track the weekend of Daytona 500 qualifying, and that is tempting.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Making carpooling plans for my first snowshoe race. OMG.

And totally missed out on funding my retirement when I gave away, instead of selling, all the chemical warmers I had in my gear bag when it was 12F at our annual BadA$$ run.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.