Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Making carpooling plans for my first snowshoe race. OMG.

And totally missed out on funding my retirement when I gave away, instead of selling, all the chemical warmers I had in my gear bag when it was 12F at our annual BadA$$ run.
    Ha! Next time you know.
    Tell me more about this snowshoeing race. I want to hear more about it!!!

Oakleaf- the ACE inhibitor was what was causing me so much trouble (no beta blockers for sure). I asked to change back to a calcium-channel blocker which is what I was on before (granted, it wasn't working, but there are other meds and other doses we can try to find one that works).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The US running snowshoe championships are here in Bend this year so a bunch of races have cropped up. The first one I'm doing is up on Mt Hood on 1/20. We even have a Facebook group that runs together every Saturday.

It's been a load of fun but I have no idea what to expect at a snowshoe race.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

That does sound like fun! I'm picturing my dad's snowshoes from 40 years ago. I hope technology has changed some.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Teeny, tiny . . . . thank goodness.

http://www.dionsnowshoes.com/mo121srafr.html

3 runs complete thus far this month! I did run on Sunday...short and slow but I got out there. I did 5 today. Whew...amazing how quickly you can lose endurance and fitness! It is very, very spring like here. Low barely into the 60's and it hit 82 today. I must admit I am loving the mild Florida January. But definitely have to get out to run early since it is so much warmer!

K
    katluvr

Look, Veronica, you can barely see the shoes under my delicate tootsies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SwampySnowshoe.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	15889

Wow! How cool! It looks so pretty. Do you always have a trail?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

That does look fun. I sometimes run downhill in my snowshoes, but I think I'd need shorter ones to run on a flat. Mine are small, woman specific, but seem kind of big to really run in.
    I went for a short run-walk yesterday (2.4 miles). We are having a January thaw, and I had to get outside. It's plenty warm enough to ride, (40s), but there's sand, salt, and melting snow/ice that i don't want to deal with. It's supposed to be 60 on Sunday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We don't always have a trail but you need a balance between snow depth and flotation from your s-shoes. I'm not going to scale a mountain in deep snow in these things. At some point, the conditions require hiking when you'd do best with traditional larger shoes and boots. Additionally, you wear your running shoes which means you have no added support or stability from your equipment, or a huge amount of protection for wet feet. Think of how you choose a bike, the gnarlier the trail the bigger the tire, more suspension, more stability with agility, etc., but a skinny tire TT bike works well on a straight, flat road.

If you have nice groomed SS trails, you want speedster shoes - small and lightweight. If you have groomed, twisty singletrack, you REALLY want small and lightweight for the agility to get around tight corners. S-shoes designed for running are pretty minimal and very lightweight, even compared to standard S-shoes designed for just a walk in the woods. Just a note, the US Snowshoes Assoc does have minimum size requirement for racing.

Here's a couple links. Now you'll know more than you ever wanted.

Crankin, S-shoe racing is a much bigger deal out east. You could easily find some events!

http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-wea...-run-snowshoes

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/01/snows...y-and-how.html

PS - I guess all the above gives away that I'm building a stable of snowshoes also.

Another run! Trying hard to be consistent! Not a very exciting run but did the 3.4 mile loop. I was very slow. Tired from yesterday? Or was it the heat? 75 degrees this AM, maybe warmer and sunny! I can't complain it is beautiful, but no cool winter miles this year it seems! I know this won't last and, again, I am not complaining. Makes it easier to get my butt out of bed and out to run if it is not cold (wimp!).
    katluvr

You run in wet, snowy shoes? Nah, I think I'll stay with the hiking aspect.
    And, I wouldn't do well with DFL. You guys are way more competitve than me, but I can live vicariously through you!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

No, I don't run in wet, snowy shoes as long as I match the snowshoes to the conditions, as in I don't go hiking off trail in running snowshoes. Re-read my discussion of picking the right shoes for the purpose.

It was 55F when I woke up this morning! but with rain and wind. So it was back to the treadmill for me. 4 miles in 32:36; can't seem to do my treadmill 4 faster than that. But I will!! I'd really like to break 32 minutes by spring.

Rather slow run but this was a safe run through the snow and ice. Also my longest one so I did not want to bonk. Also on Sportstracker, 2200 feet ascent

No snowshoeing around here-- it was 60F at 6 am today! So I put on my favorite shorts and instantly felt fast and strong while walking around the house (love those magic shorts). It was weird to head out the door with bare head and hands in January. And by the end of the first mile I was wishing I had worn short sleeves, it was so warm and humid. There were lots of other runners out this pre-dawn morning-- how often is there a weekend morning this warm in January? (Maybe once a century or so). It ended up being a bit of a slog due to the wind, but I got in 7 miles, and saw the start of a lovely sunrise, thanks to the lengthening days.

Hope everyone else has a good weekend!