Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2012 Challenge complete-300 days on the bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

On the 24th I completed the 2012 challenge that I set for myself, 300 days on the bike which came out to be 4829 miles. The most miles I have done in the past for a year was 3000. I did set minimums for myself, trainer could be no less than 30 minutes; out door rides if could not be less than 50 minutes on my fitness bike. My road bike rides are usually no less than 1.5 hrs so I just had to make sure I had minimuns for the other 2 to make it count as a day.

The last 6 weeks I felt like I do during the last 25 miles of a century, I just wanted it to be over.

All said, I have no challenge for 2013 except to give a another attempt at jogging/running to incorporate with my cycling.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Congratulations, JoAnn! That is a huge accomplishment, and I simply can't imagine riding that much (except down here on beach bikes, which is a very different thing). I know how bad the weather can be there, so the fact that you were able to ride so many days of the year is even more impressive.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm impressed, not just with your milage, but you stick-to-it-ness throughout a whole year. I find I'm great with challenges and goals in short periods (a few weeks, a couple months), but setting a year-long challenge and following through to the end is really admirable. Congrats!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

That is really quite remarkable, my hat is off to you. What a great accomplishment, to be proud of for sure!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Wow, this is great! Congratulations on your accomplishment! 300 days in a year, you must have really nice weather out there

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Congratulations, JoAnn! That is a huge accomplishment, and I simply can't imagine riding that much (except down here on beach bikes, which is a very different thing). I know how bad the weather can be there, so the fact that you were able to ride so many days of the year is even more impressive.
    What part of Belize are you in? I know there is some road riding going on, or at least there was. When we first visited in 2006 we were told about a weekend stage race called the Tour of Belize, and I think there was a single event near Easter called the Holy Saturday road race. I believe there used to be a cross-country mountain bike race down there at one time as well. I suppose the economic downturn killed these events off.
    (My better half is a cycling official, so on our first trip he convinced our guide, a former national soccer director, to take us to the big sports office in Belize city.)
    E.T.A.:
    Looks like the Holy Saturday race is still being held - 2013 will be it's 85th year!
    http://www.wealthships.com/2012/04/0...-classic-4712/
    Last edited by nuliajuk; 12-27-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    What part of Belize are you in? I know there is some road riding going on, or at least there was. When we first visited in 2006 we were told about a weekend stage race called the Tour of Belize, and I think there was a single event near Easter called the Holy Saturday road race. I believe there used to be a cross-country mountain bike race down there at one time as well. I suppose the economic downturn killed these events off.
    (My better half is a cycling official, so on our first trip he convinced our guide, a former national soccer director, to take us to the big sports office in Belize city.)
    E.T.A.:
    Looks like the Holy Saturday race is still being held - 2013 will be it's 85th year!
    http://www.wealthships.com/2012/04/0...-classic-4712/
    I'm sure these events are still going on...but we live on Ambergris Caye, a sandy island in the Caribbean Sea. To get to the mainland, where these events are held, is a 1.5 hour ferry ride or a flight on a puddle jumper (with a bike, not easy). And even once on the mainland, the roads are not great. There are very few paved roads in Belize. Most of the paved roads are the three national highways and frequented by fast-moving buses. Lots of speed bumps ("sleeping policemen") too. I've seen locals riding road bikes on them, but I just wouldn't take the risk. The folks who ride here don't know anything else, so they feel more comfortable riding in situations that I would not. And I don't race.

Sorry for the thread hijack, JoAnn...back to your regularly scheduled thread!
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 12-27-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks all, and no problem bringing the conversation in another direction.

I purposely posted the challenge here, on FB and told others to keep my from quitting. People would ask me during the year if was still going at it and I didn't want to tell anyone I quit. If I didn't let the cat out of the bag I just might have not stuck with it.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Wow....such tenacity! Congratulations on reaching your goal. I wish you continued success in 2013.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Congrats., Jo-n NY! That takes real tenacity. I think I might have been on my bike for approx. 280 days in 1 year....when I was unemployed and had to keep my personal motivation going. Cycling was used to kickstart my motivation every day.

You must be also pleased for keeping healthy with the other overriding gola.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Great accomplishment! Good for you for sticking to it!
    K
    katluvr