Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wooo a bike maintenance christmas

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yay! I got a bike repair stand and every tool on the "must have" list that the LBS handed out in my bike maintenance class. I guess I will be the designator bike fixer in this household.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Sweet! Since I took a couple of classes, one basic and one on bearing systems, I am the designated fixer for my friends and family. It has been fun.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    Yay! I got a bike repair stand and every tool on the "must have" list that the LBS handed out in my bike maintenance class. I guess I will be the designator bike fixer in this household.
    This is seriously cool, congratulations!

What bike stand did you get?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    What bike stand did you get?
    Bontrager Pro Wrench -- has attachments too -- wheel truing and something else I can't remember.
    2014 Felt Z75

That is awesome!

I just signed up for a 101 class that starts in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited!

TrekDianna, would you share your list of "must have" tools? My class wasn't given a specific list, just told to purchase the park tool kit.
    Last edited by Megustalaplaya; 01-18-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megustalaplaya View Post
    TrekDianna, would you share your list of "must have" tools? My class wasn't given a specific list, just told to purchase the park tool kit.
    Which one? Park makes several.

IMO, the most important thing you can own is a good set of T-handle allen wrenches. Park and Pedros make good ones. I can pretty much disassemble and re-assemble a bike (minus the drivetrain) with just a "y-wrench" in the 4/5/6 size (another handy tool, but a duplicate of your allen wrenches). From there, it starts to depend on the bike(s) you have and the projects you want to tackle. I would also buy a #2 Phillips screwdriver (if you don't already have one), a good pedal wrench, and a chain tool. You may want a low-torque torque wrench or torque key, especially if you have a carbon frame or carbon bits on your bike. At some point, you may want to add a cassette tool, a chain whip, cable cutters, and the appropriate bottom bracket tool, if you decide that replacing drivetrain bits is something you want to do.

Have fun at class! I love working on my bikes!

What about a spoke wrench?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Very cool! I'm sure it will be on my wish list soon.

I just signed up for a 2 day bike maintenance class. I will learn about all the parts of the bike, basic maintenance, deraileur shifting and adjustments, bearing and cable systems and how to repair. This will help me feel more confident since most of my rides are solo and I've started to do some bike/camping with plans to do some multi-day touring.
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Megustalaplaya View Post
    I can't find the list, but here's a photo of some of the tools. a few of the wrenches and some others are at my other house since I needed to use them last weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	15945
    2014 Felt Z75

Oh cool, I have some of those and plus a few others that I used in my class.

Becky, I believe it was the beginner kit that was suggested. Since I already had some of the tools in that kit I just picked up what I was missing, plus a few others.

I loved my class. The instructor and another employee there were wonderful teachers! I loved it so much now I want to work there. Now I just have to convince the person who makes the hiring decisions that I am worth taking a chance on.