Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Full Catastrophe Living

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just started this book and audio book combination. It was recommended on TE; an update is worth doing. (And a good way to say 'thanks' for that thread).

I'd like to add that using the actual audio with the book is a great way to stay focused.

Especially if you happen to have problems in that area. (Like me).

It's--surprising--to me that I'd ever benefit by using the audio. But frankly, the last 6-7 years have been rough, and it has affected my ability to concentrate. I've read the intro and chapter one, and now I did it with the audio to guide. The audio does skip paragraphs, but they tend to be extraneous explanation. So far.

Definitely helps. Though I only took the audio through the first 3 minute 'beginner' mindfulness exercise, I can see this will be worthwhile.

I did get the meditation CD's that accompany, but only listened for a few moments. Going slow to get the benefit. It's Disc 1 and Disc 3. Looks like part 2 is included on either the first or third part, which is confusing. Amazon does list a Disc 2, for something like 166.00 dollars. No thanks. And a San Diego hospital has their own version for free download available. I DL'd them, too, but may or may not use.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Hmmm. No ideas to resolve the Disc confusion.

I did find Full Catastrophe really useful. It was ages ago--I had cassette tapes and used them and used them and used them. I think I can still conjure up his voice when I want to.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    What is Catastrophe training or whatever?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    What is Catastrophe training or whatever?
    It's an 8 week course in mindfulness training to deal with stress, pain, and illness.

Book

Audio CD of the book.

Series 1

Series 3

Series 1 and 3 go with with actual course, the course is found in both the text book and audio book. I played the audio, and followed along with the text, which I found beneficial. I'll play the accompanying series' when it's time to do that.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

This really intrigues me because I have been in a stressful situation for a while, while also dealing with injuries and illness. Where do you recommend someone start to look more into this training?
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1976 View Post
    This really intrigues me because I have been in a stressful situation for a while, while also dealing with injuries and illness. Where do you recommend someone start to look more into this training?
    I've given the above links, now, which you probably didn't see as I was editing when you posted. There are many people on this forum who know a lot more about it than I, though.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-18-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I do see them now. Thanks so much!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Check your library. My library actually has it as a download. Of course it only lasts three weeks but you can renew it if no one else is on the wait list. Then you can request it again. That gives you another 3 weeks. Some libraries might have it on CDs. You can rip them and play them on your player.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

This is more in response to some of the people in the older thread who talked about having trouble meditating. I just learned a new technique that's just PERFECT for learning how to pick up a thought, examine it and set it aside. It's called "See, Touch, Hear." All you do, just sit and take a soft Zen focus, and any time something attracts your attention, identify out loud the sense that was stimulated. So, if I see a bird fly by the window and it pulls my attention outward, I say "See;" if the wind ruffles the hair on my arm, I say "Touch," etc. It's amazing how quickly that puts me into a meditative state; and yet you're not "trying not to think of an elephant."
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Can I just share some irony here. I decided to buy the book Full Catastrophe Living. Because stress. And I ended up spending more than an hour and three phone calls to customer service trying to fix a billing information problem with my Barnes and Noble online account. The problem still is not solved and after all this I don't trust them enough to enter new credit card information.

At the end of the day I have more stress and no book on the way.

This is par for the course for me. Is it just me? Do others end up in situations like this??

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

NY, I do, and I bet others do as well. Sometimes, when I get overwhelmed I have to seek out a reset switch; for me that means just stopping the mental merry-go-round and sitting with the chaos. I meditate or pick up a book and shut out the world, a book works especially well for me since it takes me to another place far from my current situation.

Electra Townie 7D

Yep. Same here. Love to procrastinate some times.

When I've had enough of running like a chicken with no head, it's time to unwind and do nothing. Husband does not understand that at all (how I can do stop living for a day ... or 2) but I need to recharge batteries once in a while. Especially since I am insomniac. Gets to a point where my system shuts down otherwise. So time out is a good thing. You'll find the energy to move your butt when time comes and all gets done anyway.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I would like to read a book about meditating, but I am unable to purchase it.

The third person I spoke to at Barnes and Noble yesterday said there was clearly a problem with their system and they were escalating it to someone who could address it. Today I checked online and the credit card information that was supposed to be deleted was still there. I did the online chat thing with their customer service and that person saw no evidence of anything being escalated and then insisted there was no problem anyway. So I called them on the phone and that person also saw no evidence of anything being escalated. So the Barnes and Noble employee that I thought was trying to help yesterday was just lying to me. And the person who I spoke to today says I have to call back later to speak to a supervisor.

To add insult to injury, if I buy the book at an actual store I will have to pay $8 more. They discount online but not in store. But if you shop online they keep your credit card information in their database forever with no way to delete it.

And there are no other bookstores anywhere around here. So I am screwed. Now if I buy this book I will be irritated every time I look at it.

I give up. There is no solution. Stress wins, I lose.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

NY, take a deep breath. Arguing with the customer service people is really annoying, and I truly believe very few of them do their job. That said, it's just not worth raising your cortisol levels over a book.
    There are lots of free on line meditative practices. Look for short (3 minutes or less) that focus on decreasing anxiety. Even better, there are low cost apps for your phone that coach you through guided meditations, which is really what you need for a beginner. While you are looking, the simplest thing that really works and is vetted by neuroscience is "4-6" breathing. Sit quietly and inhale for the count of 4 and then exhale for a count of 6. Then, breath normally for a bit and repeat the cycle 2 more times.
    They put people in f-MRI machines to look at what happened to their cortisol levels when doing this. There was a noticeable decrease. The key is doing more exhales than inhales.
    I have people get started doing this 2-3X a day for prevention. This way, when you are in a stressful situation, you are starting out at a lower baseline. And you can always use this in the moment, as an intervention, as you can do it kind of sneakily.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura