Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New bike saddle got wet

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding on a new Serfas dual density gel cutout saddle for the past week, and it got rained on today! Now usually I keep the bike saddle covered but last night I was deliriously ill during the ride and forgot all about it.. and when I woke up late today it was raining steadily!

Is this something I should worry about? Is there anything I can do? I went ahead and dragged the whole bike inside and even now as I'm typing this I'm very dizzy but also worried. The saddle is brand spankin new after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    Serfas dual density gel cutout saddle
    It's fine. The entire thing is plastic. If it's the lycra covered one, it may take a day to dry. Maybe squish a towel onto it a few times if you need to go ride. Vinyl cover, wipe it off and you're done.

I've been riding on a new Serfas dual density gel cutout saddle for the past week, and it got rained on today!

Is this something I should worry about?
    I'd think the saddle should be the least of your worries. Instead, worry about the entire bike. There are a lot of parts that will rust if you leave the bike out in the rain too much.
    Laura

Hope you are feeling better!

After the bike dries out be sure to lube the chain.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

If you bike has to live outside see if you can find an inexpensive tarp to keep it out of the elements
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yeah - you only need to worry if you have a genuine leather, suspended saddle (the leather is actually structural - not just a covering for a plastic or metal structure) - they can stretch/shrink/warp otherwise do bad things if allowed to be soaked. Up here in the lovely PNW, I regularly ride in everything from a thick vapor to a raging downpour... never had a problem with any of my saddles and I don't ever bother to cover them.

+1 to worrying about the other parts of the bike.... you'd be amazed at how fast a chain can rust. My bike gets a rinse off, wipe down and re-lube every time I've been riding in the wet.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Up here in the lovely PNW, I regularly ride in everything from a thick vapor to a raging downpour...
    Thick Vapor.....LOVE THAT!

Ooooh, thanks everyone! I've been keeping my bike in the shed with a seat cover as usual, but yesterday whilst riding the windy conditions turned into a bitter cold rain. I looked around for some WD40 (or something!) to grease down the chain and other metal bits with after wiping them down, and my dad handed me some unmarked bottle of something that he promised would get the job done............... Unfortunately I don't trust my da that much! So can anyone please recommend a good bike lube, and possibly something to use in the mean-time? The not-so-LBS sells only two types (and I've already forgotten the names), but I'm thinking it would be cheaper to just order something online. I just really don't know what this is my dad has handed me... it smells like motor oil or engine grease or something.

The main thing with bike lubes is you don't want stuff that's going to attract grit. As far as lubes your family might have lying around the house, gun oil or sewing machine oil are lightweight enough to serve. WD-40 is (as its name suggests) a water displacing penetrant, not so much a lubricant. It attracts tons of grit. I don't recommend it on bikes, except on a rag used (with nitrile gloves!) to take road tar off your frame before washing. It's a good thing to use on tools at the end of a season or when they'll be stored for a few months without being used...

There are as many opinions about lubricants as there are riders and riding conditions. My personal choice is Pedro's soybean-based Go! (lightweight for dry conditions) or Chainj (heavier for muddy or rainy conditions).

Whatever you use, make sure to wipe off any excess THOROUGHLY. The parts you're lubricating are between the plates and pins of the chain, inside the moving parts of the derailleurs and brakes. Any bit of oil left on the outside surfaces will just attract grit, that will work its way inside and cause wear.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh gosh, thanks. I was just about to bike to the store to get WD-40. Glad I saw this in time!

Oh gosh, thanks. I was just about to bike to the store to get WD-40. Glad I saw this in time!
    Any hardware shop should have TRI FLOW. Not the greatest durability in the rain but 100000x better than WD40. Beyond that any bike shop should have a years supply of chain lube like FINISH LINE WET for about $6