Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for a book

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can someone recommend a good book for basic bicycle maintenance and repair? Maintenance would be more important because I don't mind taking the bike to the LBS for the bigger stuff. Components have changed a lot over the years and I'd like to know I'm doing the right thing, and using the right products. How to clean, how to lube, how to seal. I need to spend a few more dollars for free Amazon shipping

I have Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

But I'll be honest that I often find watching a video much more helpful. My husband does most of our maintenance, but before we were married, if I needed to fix something on my bike, I simply googled it and perused what came up. Park Tool's website has a lot of helpful information, in both written and video format.
    Last edited by indysteel; 12-18-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have to second Indy on this. It is useful to have books, but in the end, I turn to internet videos when it is time for me to try something mechanical on the bike. I have THIS book but I find I only turn to it when I can't seem to find a video.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I have Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

But I'll be honest that I often find watching a video much more helpful. My husband does most of our maintenance, but before we were married, if I needed to fix something on my bike, I simply googled it and perused what came up. Park Tool's website has a lot of helpful information, in both written and video format.
    I like the Park Tool site and videos. I have the Park Tool book which adds some to what is online and has the advantage of being in the garage, by the bikes, when I want to work on something, as an easy reference.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Have you tried looking on you tube? Usually someone has posted a video, regardless of topic/subject.

I guess the internet is the way to go, but as goldfinch said, it would be handy to have a book with me in the garage. Or take it to work to read on my breaks. Maybe learn something and gain some general information. The other day I put my new bike on a trainer. I couldn't find the quick release for the back brake, so I Googled the make and model, and sure enough, there was the diagram. I ran back downstairs and finished the job. That was fine for a quick fix, but won't be too practical if it's a big, greasy job.

I mentioned the park tool manual. I like it for modern bikes. When I worked on rehabbing my old Schwinn I ended up buying a used older manual that was good for a person with no experience working on older systems. http://www.amazon.com/Glenns-Complet.../dp/0517500930 Plus, I have learned from being a birder that it is nice to have more than one resource.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 12-19-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I like the Park Tool site too. If you have Shimano components, they have all their factory service documents on their website - don't know if the other component manufacturers do the same thing.

For an older manual ... my first ten-speed I took apart and reassembled nearly everything on it - including the freewheel, after I found the pawls and springs when they went everywhere - with the Clear Creek Bike Book. Who else remembers that?!

But, I don't do seals. I let the LBS take care of sealed bearings.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

PM Press is releasing an updated edition of their bicycle repair manual. Don't know anything about it. Anyone have comments on the first edition? https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php...t_detail&p=500
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sheldon Brown is a wealth of information. However, since he died, I do not know if it's being kept up to date, so there might be issues with newer bikes. I tried to talk him into publishing his site as a book while he was alive, and he was interested, but not interested enough to get around to it.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike