Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Why is my Cat Sneezing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Over the weekend Tortilla started sneezing and not just a little. She has been sneezing about 3 little clusters of sneezing an hour. The dogs tend to sneeze once in a while but Tortilla never has. Should I be worried she is falling ill? She has been eating, drinking and pottying normal. I don't see any eye or nose drainage like the kitties I see at shelters that have little cold. She is behaving normal just sneezing quite a bit.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

As long as there's no drainage or goobers, it could be any number of harmless things. Animals are much lower to the ground than we are -- and cats moreso than dogs. It could be that there's a bit of dander, dust or pollen around that your kitty is picking up and sneezing out. A good vacuum/sweep/air purifier should help with that.

Another possibility is hair in the sinus. Perhaps while cleaning herself she sniffed up a hair that just won't come out. Or maybe she's got a tiny little hairball that causes her enough discomfort to want to sneeze. And sometimes kitties just have a sneezy day! Just watch for any signs of drainage or goop. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

Is there any reason to believe that she was exposed to a cat with a cold? You're right that it doesn't sound like a cold, but assuming she's been vaccinated (the vaccination doesn't give them complete immunity against the various upper respiratory infections they can get), it could just be mild in severity. If it is a cold, you can generally let it just run its course unless her symptoms become problematic.

Short of a cold, she may have something stuck in her nose or a dental problem. How old is she and when was the last time she had her teeth checked/cleaned? If her sneezing continues, it couldn't hurt to take her to the vet for a checkup.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

She is a strictly indoor cat (except for her great adeventure in May where she ran outside for 9 days). I will admit she is behind on her shots and check ups, she is 4 years old. As of last night she was not sneezing, I couldn't find her this morning since Jens decided to terrorize her and she ran into one of her hiding spots until he went to his kennel.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan