Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Bras!

Sports Bras!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have to start off by saying I hate buying sports bras...but they are necessary. I've been putting it off for about a year now, but I've lost so much weight that I now have no choice. I just noticed that TE has a nice sale right now on some of their sports bras. I settled on this one, while I would have preferred black the purple version had ONE left in my size...

I wanted to mention they have other sports bras on sale as well, just in case others are in need of the same thing What is nice about the Juno is it comes in actual sizes, not just S,M,L - that always makes it more difficult to figure out what you need.

I have the Juno but I find it is too much of the uniboob look for a large chested person. However, it is comfortable. I like the Maia, which have a lot of support but still separation: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodMC_350011.html
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I have the Juno but I find it is too much of the uniboob look for a large chested person. However, it is comfortable. I like the Maia, which have a lot of support but still separation: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodMC_350011.html
    I've already pulled the trigger...I looked at this one but I went for the racer straps on the Juno. My current Moving Comfort does have a bit of the uniboob look, but it IS comfortable. I will keep this one in mind for the future, thanks!

It arrived today from TE! I was quite surprised that it was delivered in two days on this week of all weeks. I will take it though. It is very close to being too small...I am actually between a C and D cup still, but I think a larger one would have been too large and I am still slowly loosing weight - so I will keep it. It does have a little of the uniboob look but no where near as much as my older Moving Comfort bra - and that one is a larger size. The Juno is quite comfortable...once I adjusted the straps to their loosest setting,

This might be a good thread to discuss what we like, and don't like, about different sports bras. There are so many different types out there. For me purchasing a sports bra is somewhat intimidating - regular bras aren't however. Am I the only one? I will need to get another one in the next month or two - loosing all of this weight eventually forces the issue...
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Because I need a 28-30 band and a large cup, good sports bras are few and far between. The Panache sports bra (model 5021) has been my favorite. Adjustable straps, supportive enough for running, and it's even attractive, unlike some larger sports bras. It's quite expensive (the again, aren't all my bras? ), but Panache isn't usually excluded from sales (I'm looking at you, Freya!). I save my money during the year and stock up during the good holiday sales. Ebay is another way to save money, once you know the style and size you need. I've bought brand new bras there for half off before.

Sports bras used to be intimidating....until a thread here made me realize that I'd been wearing the wrong size (too large of a band and too small of a cup). Once I hashed out my correct size, bras have been far less stressful and far more comfortable.

I am never good at measuring myself - whenever I do that I wind up with some VERY small size - and I am chesty lady. So I finally went to a good department store last year and got measured - but I suspect that still differs between different styles.

I know what you mean. Ultimately, I ended up at Nordstrom's, and even that wasn't perfect, because they still want to add 2 or 3 to the underbust measurement and put me in too loose of a band. When I stopped adding anything, I finally found the right band size. Which presents its own challenges...

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I know what you mean. Ultimately, I ended up at Nordstrom's, and even that wasn't perfect, because they still want to add 2 or 3 to the underbust measurement and put me in too loose of a band. When I stopped adding anything, I finally found the right band size. Which presents its own challenges...
    So you just keep your underbust measurement with no adjustment and use that for the your size, and use the measurement across the fullest part of your bust for the cup portion of the measurement? I hope I described that correctly, am working from memory here but probably shouldn't go looking up the formula at work. The Juno is VERY comfortable - but I've the straps adjusted as long as possible, and there is a bit too much "spillover" underneath my arms and back... Unsure if that is a band or cup size problem, but I should figure this out before my next purchase. It doesn't FEEL too small at all, even in high intensity activities. With my slow-but-consistent weight loss this might (hopefully) take care of itself.

Yes, that's exactly what I do. For me, this calculator was the most accurate: http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm. With an underbust measurement of 29", I usually end up in 30 bands. However, I can think of at least one brand where a 28 fits better and lasts longer because their bands are often stretchier than others.

It's possible that your issue is with both the cup and band sizing. You can isolate one from the other by putting the bra on backwards, with the cups in the back, and fastened on the last/loosest hooks. If you can pull the band more than 1/2" - 1" away from your body, the band size is probably too big. I say probably because some of this is personal preference. Yes, it looks a bit silly, but it rules out the possibility that any snugness you're feeling is from cups that are too small, rather than from a supportive, properly-sized band.

Thanks Becky, I will check this out tonight. The Juno doesn't FEEL too snug when wearing it and it isn't difficult to get on, though getting it off is quite a challenge. Then again, it IS a substantial sports bra! The look on the sides tells me it isn't the perfect fit though, and I would like to address that the next time. My others are just too large now, apparently my 38D days are over and I am quite pleased with that! It makes sense that if the cups are too small that it would still make things feel comfortable even if the band isn't supporting properly.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-20-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I do. For me, this calculator was the most accurate: http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm. With an underbust measurement of 29", I usually end up in 30 bands. However, I can think of at least one brand where a 28 fits better and lasts longer because their bands are often stretchier than others....
    According to your calculator, I need a 30DDD/F which I've never heard of... So I plugged my numbers (31 ribcage, 36 cup) and got the same thing in other online calculators. So apparently I've an odd size as well....but using the usual calculation where you add to the band number, I would be a 36A which is just plain wrong.

To go further down this rabbit hole, I found THIS link that provides a chart of bra "sister sizes". According to this chart, 30F also = 36D (and a bunch of other sizes). So next time I go looking I've a few other options to check out. I've never heard of most of the bra sizes on this chart, interesting!
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    According to your calculator, I need a 30DDD/F which I've never heard of... So I plugged my numbers (31 ribcage, 36 cup) and got the same thing in other online calculators. So apparently I've an odd size as well....but using the usual calculation where you add to the band number, I would be a 36A which is just plain wrong.

To go further down this rabbit hole, I found THIS link that provides a chart of bra "sister sizes". According to this chart, 30F also = 36D (and a bunch of other sizes). So next time I go looking I've a few other options to check out. I've never heard of most of the bra sizes on this chart, interesting!
    You are close to my size, as I am 30 on the rib cage and 35 around the bust. I find a 30 band works best in most bras. www.herroom.com has a lot of these smaller sizes with large cups. I bought a very large pile of bras from them, tried them out and sent back what I didn't favor.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Very nice site, thank you! They have more sports bras there that I've ever seen, and the survey to help determine the type/shape of bra that might be needed is very interesting.

You might want to google Shock Absorber bras. They come in band/cup sizes, including smaller band/larger cups. They have different levels of support, so you can find ones for biking, running, etc. They tend to run a bit tight in the band. I normally wear a 30 band, but need a 32 in these bras. Cup sizes run pretty true. They aren't pretty, but if you are looking for support, they are awesome bras.

SR

Anyone have a recommendation for an encapsulation bra for a small bust? I've been wearing compression all these years, but now with my ribcage/shoulder injury it isn't the best, plus Champion changed the weave of my favorite bra anyway so it's much less supportive and my b00bs sneak down under the band. I need longer straps - Moving Comfort seems to wind up with the band halfway up my b00bs - but really would prefer NON adjustable straps since the adjusters always chafe.

A lot to ask ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler