Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A Very Happy Tushie

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, to everyone who has followed my saddle saga, I think I have found saddle heaven. I got the Selle SMP for Christmas and have done a few rides on it. Yesterday I did 30 miles with some moderate hills and it was great! I'm a little sore in the sit-bones region, but I haven't been riding much, so I'm not at all surprised. My soft tissues don't even feel as if I've been on a ride. I'm incredibly happy with this saddle, wacky-looking though it is.

So Ann, if you're reading this, I'll be happy to let you take a spin on it the next time we ride together. I will have to say that it took me a couple of rides to get used to it.

I just had an idea! I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to be able to rent any saddle you wanted to try, say for a week? Someone should gather up everyone's hated saddles and do that for a business!

That's an interesting saddle. I'd like to try it. I wonder if it works well for men, since that is who it's made for. BF has _never_ found one he likes, and he's on about the fourth one.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Guess I better get that check ready. You need to remind me how much.

Are you coming up to Benicia for the Feb 25th Cinderella training ride? Marty and I are planning on coming. Perhaps a hand-off then?

They do make one women's-specific model, which is the one I have. It's the cheapest model, too. I think we got it for $65 or so. There is a men's model in the same style.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Guess I better get that check ready. You need to remind me how much.

Are you coming up to Benicia for the Feb 25th Cinderella training ride? Marty and I are planning on coming. Perhaps a hand-off then?
    I'm going to try to make it to that one, so let's plan on the hand off there. I have no idea how much to ask for the Avocet. What do you think is fair? I probably put 150 - 200 miles on it at the very most.

For those of you within shoutin' distance of an REI store--they will let you buy a saddle, ride it for days/significant miles, and return it if it doesn't work for you. I expect as long as there's no damage, the return is absolutely no problem. I did this once and would do it again. They are very good about this.

Uh, I've had a right of first refusal purchase on slinke's Avocet since the day she bought it. No way is it going back!

That REI deal is great, but their saddle selection is a little restricted...

Shannon - I'd love to take your saddle for a very short spin - I'm planning on being at that Benecia ride also. I'm still using my Selle San Marco Atola, which is fine for 30 mile rides, but I start really feeling it after that... The San Marcos are the best because they have such a nice cutout, but I think they are a little narrow for me at the back.

Nanci - that's an excellent idea - a saddle rental/saddle swap system - the problem is really distribution, isn't it?

I have a nice collection going of barely used saddles:
    - Terry Butterfly
    - Koobi Classic Gel
    - Selle San Marco Atola
    - Selle San Marco Aero
    - Selle Italia Lady something-or-other
    - Specialized body geometry (?? came with my bike)

I know there are people out there (and on this forum even!) who love each and every one of these saddles - it would be nice for them all to make someone's tushie happy!

Hey BikerZ... I sold a Terry saddle on Craigslist. If you're looking to get rid of any of those and don't want to deal with shipping them, post 'em and sell 'em!!

Also, you might like this saddle because it does have a wider back. I hope you find saddle-heaven soon!!
    Last edited by slinkedog; 01-30-2006 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz

I know there are people out there (and on this forum even!) who love each and every one of these saddles - it would be nice for them all to make someone's tushie happy!
    is it one of the Specialized flat saddles?? or one of the comfy ones?? I would be interested in that one depending on what it is! PM me if you really want to get rid of it!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz
    That REI deal is great, but their saddle selection is a little restricted...

Shannon - I'd love to take your saddle for a very short spin - I'm planning on being at that Benecia ride also. I'm still using my Selle San Marco Atola, which is fine for 30 mile rides, but I start really feeling it after that... The San Marcos are the best because they have such a nice cutout, but I think they are a little narrow for me at the back.

Nanci - that's an excellent idea - a saddle rental/saddle swap system - the problem is really distribution, isn't it?

I have a nice collection going of barely used saddles:
    - Terry Butterfly
    - Koobi Classic Gel
    - Selle San Marco Atola
    - Selle San Marco Aero
    - Selle Italia Lady something-or-other

Ebay baby... It is great!! My hubby and I love ebay! Just make sure you post a link so we can see them. I might be interested on buying one.
    Last edited by Hell-uv-a-job; 01-30-2006 at 06:50 PM.

You are giving me hope.

I joined this forum for the sole reason of finding a saddle. I have also been thinking that the chamoiss in my shorts are just too much extra fabric that gets wrinkled up in the wrong places. I am looking for the short that has a minimal chamois, that just covers the seams.

OK, so I'm going to try the Selle SMP next.

Thank you

Slinkedog

So, how wide exactly is the gap in the middle of the saddle? On the website is says almost as wide as a hand. Do your sit bones stay where they are supposed to, or do you ever feel like you're going to "fall into" the center section? When you climb, do you have contact with the nose? And, my last question for now :-) how would you describe the firmness of the saddle?

Thanks!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I'm not totally sure how wide the gap is, but it is true that you can almost get your hand through it. I've never had the sensation that I might fall in, but I have a pretty big hiney, so I can't imagine that would ever be a problem!! But to answer your question, yes, my sit bones stay where they're supposed to. I don't usually engage the nose too much when I climb... I sit way back on the saddle and spin up any hill that's spinnable. I mash when necessary, but never really notice the nose in this saddle, or any of the others I've had, for that matter, so I don't know if I can help there.

The saddle has a pretty padded back, but it doesn't feel squishy. My sit bones were sore after I rode on Sunday, but not until later in the evening. But I also don't feel like I need a ton of chamois to be comfortable. I rode 30 miles on Sunday with my most minimal chamois and was comfortable the entire ride.

I saw that bikemania.biz has the saddle (Selle SMP TRK) for $75.00 online if anyone wants to bite the bullet and give it a try. That model does come in both men and women's specific styles.

OK - I'm inspired! I'll take photos of all these saddles this week and post them in the "for sale" section on TE - maybe they can all find happy homes!

(I'm moving soon, and it will be nice to to cart all of these saddles along with me..)