Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unhappy

To disable ads, please log-in.

My very happy tushie is getting here tomorrow, but Lava is _back_ in the shop for rear der adjustment and rear wheel truing, _and_ bar gel pads if they can _find_ any...So I won't get to try it out until next week...

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I've had mine on the road bike on the trainer and it seemed fine. Since the new tri rig went in to get herself tightened up for the race I pulled the ol roadie off the trainer and took her out today. I have to say that saddle ROCKS in the real world!! I'm DEF swapping it out to my tri bike for the race! I did a couple of hours today and it was comfy as a couch! I was amazed! And was great for being down in the aero bars! A HUGE thumbs up!! WAY UP!!

Oh goodie! Another convert!! No, really, I'm glad your tushie is a happy tushie. No soft tissue pressure is a good thing, no?

I a little suspicious that a $50 with shipping from England saddle can be as good (in terms of support, quality, style, lifespan) as a $150 saddle...But their men's saddles are all expensive. I wonder what the difference is.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I just ordered the SMP (ladies version) and a Selle SLK Lady Gelflow. I really like the Selle Italia Lady Gelflow saddles that I have on my Dolces. However, the saddles on my other two bikes aren't comfortable enough for long rides---one has a Terry Butterfly Ti and the other is the Bianchi that came w/the bike.

By the way, how long do you reckon is the average lifespan of a saddle?

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    I a little suspicious that a $50 with shipping from England saddle can be as good (in terms of support, quality, style, lifespan) as a $150 saddle...But their men's saddles are all expensive. I wonder what the difference is.

Nanci
    Well, they are $70 US. (Maybe our UK seller just got a windfall of saddles) but you're right, $70 is not $215 like the mens.

Mine says it's made it to the US and then the tracking stops. I assume mine comes this week too. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.
    Why not go out on a limb? That's where all the fruit is!
    -Mark Twain

I am struggling with my saddle as well. For the longest time Terri Butterfly was just right for me but then it sank. What I mean is it developed a dip in the middle and this is where I want it perfectly flat. Everybody's physiology is different and you have to find one that works just for you, doesn't matter whether it is men's or women's design. My recommendation, find a professional fitter who will have a variety of saddles. First, make sure that you sit on the bike correctly and your personal geometry is right. And then try a saddle after saddle. Yes, it will cost your a little bit, but it would save you some pain of purchasing wrong saddles and pain where you don't want it to have.

Mailman just left. A little longer and definitely wider than my current one. I'll let you know!
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci

Nanci
    It is!! That's the one I have and ordered it from the UK seller. The difference is that it has a vinyl-type cover rather than leather and I think the frame is made of something slightly heavier than the more expensive models. This saddle absolutely rocks! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I'm pretty certain mine's going to be up for sale. It feels good, but I'm worried it is too wide in the nose. I don't know...Really need a good ride to evaluate, which I can't do until a couple weekends from now.

Nanci

What would make a saddle too wide in the nose? Thigh rubbing?
    -Mark Twain

Yeah, thigh rubbing and just feeling like I'm sitting on an edge there, where I didn't used to. The Fizik Vitesse has a super narrow nose, which is really nice. _But_ when I switched saddles back, it was immediately apparent that now the "bits" were again resting on something, instead of not, as with the SMP...

I also had a hard time deciding how much down to tilt it. With the rails level, which makes the nose go way down, I felt like I was sliding off. With the seat level, which puts a little dip in the center, with the nose still down, that seemed ok. With slightly more tipping up, like how I ride the Vitesse, that felt ok, too.

And the rails are way longer, so I had to play around with how far forward or back to position it. I'm still not sure I had that adjusted correctly- I think it still should have gone back further. It's hard to tell exactly where you're supposed to sit on it, because the seat part is so generous.

And then I also would need to lower my seat, because I felt like my knee was too straight, but I immediately got a pain down the front of my right knee, which doesn't that indicate you need to raise the saddle? I was riding in sandals, not bike shoes, and around on the grass- so the whole thing wasn't a fair test. I need to take it out to a paved trail.

It is a lot cushier than I am used to.

Nanci

Hey Nanci-
    Maybe THAT is the source of my phantom itb pain. Because I was noticing yesterday that the pain seemed to be more on the front lower part of my kneecap, and not really the side of my knee like when my itb flares up?? hmmmm... Maybe I should just leave the saddle thats on Valentina alone. Of course right now all I have is my road rig since the tri bike is getting her final adjustments...
    Ahh man! Now I'm questioning whether or not I should even ride the road bike w/ that saddle on?! I don't want to aggrivate my knee any further!
    But yeah, I did make about a bazillion adjustments before I felt it was just right. And the shape of the saddle does make it alot harder to get the perfect feel. Of course I *think* it feels perfect, but now I'm not so sure???? Maybe I should take the whole thing down to my bike fitter and have him take a look see. Of course that's the last thing I feel like dealing with right now... sigh... UGH!

I think you should FREAK OUT and run off to the bike shop to buy a aerobar bag that you suddenly decided you need because the $35 handlebar bag isn't working out as well as you thought and it turns your lights off and on by itself.

And then go to Best Buy to buy $40 worth of lithium batteries because they are lighter and last longer especially in cold weather.

Oh wait, that's what I'm going to do today.

Nanci

I kept the saddle completely level, but that's just me. Also, I ride about as far back on the saddle as you can possibly sit. I didn't raise my seat at all. I know not all saddles work for everyone. I had to ride this one 3 or 4 times on the road before I was used to it and knew it was the right one for me. I was ready to ditch it after the first ride.