Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Work lunch hr.: getting married

To disable ads, please log-in.

which is what happened to an employee in our dept. He told no one until the day it happened ...yesterday and casually. So he went off on his lunch break and got married to his GF. No special clothing, etc. They had been together for last 2 yrs. I first learned of it via another employee as I was running around trying to find a better meeting rm. with workable technology. She had rustled up money to buy a collective wedding card for all us to hurriedly sign our good wishes.

Then he decided to take the afternoon off as a vacation day.

It such a surprise to all of us.

But I understand yesterday, being 12-12-12, was a popular day for some folks to get married.

I realize it is no one's business when or where you get married. That love, respect and fidelity is all that counts but still the act of marriage at least deserves a special whole day. Doesn't have to have the wedding dress, etc. but the couple can celebrate it privately with lots of time by setting aside a whole day.

I guess I'm old fashioned...even though I'm not married but with dearie for last 21 years.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I wish I had eloped to save the hassle and expense, but it does seem like the type of thing that requires more than a lunch break. There should be a little effort and time more put into it than a trip to the post office.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

I don't know. It's kinda romantic, actually. Just think, what if he proposed over coffee break, via text?

My M&D met at a dance, then he gave her a ride down to NYC and in the 4 hours in the car they fell in love. Eloped 2 weeks later (she had to break up with her then-boyfriend - who, incidentally, never married and stayed best friends with her til he died a few years ago - she broke his heart!). My folks have been together 53 years.
    I can do five more miles.

It does seem like you might want to take off a whole day, but I am all for these kinds of weddings. DH and I got married 6 months after we met, had the ceremony and small (20 people) party on a Sat. night and we both went to work on Monday. Two weeks later we took a short trip to Sedona from Phoenix. We didn't have the time or money for anything else.
    My older son got married on X Mas day 2 years ago. It was just us, her parents, and the JP. Then we went out for Korean food. They had been together for 4 years and life went on as normal the next week. They took a week long trip in February.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I love it! My sister and her longtime BF just were married in Vegas last night. I was able to watch online. It was NOT the wedding my mom wanted for her, but my mom didn't pay for it.

In hindsight my DH and I wish we'd eloped. What a lot of money and stress for one day. That day that had no real bearing on the nearly 16 years that have followed.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

My husband and I more or less eloped (it was just us and the friend of mine who married us, but everyone knew we were getting married), and although we didn't do it over our lunch hour, I can at least appreciate why someone might do that. We were more intent on starting our married life together; the how, where and when we legally formalized that were sort of incidental. So, while I understand couples wanting to make a big(ger) deal of their wedding day and the romantic and emotional significance it typically holds for a couple and their families and friends, our own wedding day just wasn't a very big deal for us. What came before that day and what has come after, however, is important to us.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by happyscientist View Post
    There should be a little effort and time more put into it than a trip to the post office.
    But who says there wasn't? My husband and I talked at length about our feelings for one another, what we wanted out of our life together, our respective values and expectations, and the issues, like money, that often trip up couples. We worked (and continue to work) on those issues that had come up in our relationship. In my opinion, that's the effort that matters. The fact that we didn't make a big to-do over the wedding or spend a lot of time planning it doesn't doesn't diminish that. Conversely, spending a lot of time and money planning a wedding wouldn't have necessarily added to it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Work lunch hr.: getting married

My thoughts are if you want to make a big deal about it you should, but if you don't there's nothing wrong with that. You are proof that ceremonies have nothing to do with commitment.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I've never been big on ceremony myself. I lived with my husband for about 5 years before we married - essentially we were married in every way but legally, so when we did it was not exactly a big step..... We decided we did not want to make it a big deal. We came to the conclusion that the big wedding was for everyone else.... For us we simply wanted to make what we already had official. (Call me unromantic, but I'd have been *fine* with just signing and mailing in the right documents.... I don't think repeating someone's ceremonial words has real meaning) In the end we decided to do for ourselves rather than the family.

My parents were cool with it (they themselves had eloped) My mother in law on the other hand.... I think she still resents me a bit ( as if it were my decision alone.....)

I don't think it's made my marriage any less strong- we'll be having our 17th anniversary in a few weeks.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

My feeling is that big weddings are more for family and friends' entertainment than anything. Given how many couples we know who had lavish weddings and were divorced within 10 years makes me think that some couples lose the true intent of marriage in all the fluff of the "event."
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I had a big huge lavish wedding and it was a fricken blast. Friends and family are still talking about what a great time it was and we are coming up on our 10 year anniversary. But, I love to throw a good party, so it was fun for me. We spent money where it mattered and made the day memorable both for us and for our guests. And I was very relaxed about it all because I was of the mindset that all that really mattered was that it was the day I was committing the rest of my life to my best friend. Everything else was gravy.

My brother met his wife at the courthouse one day after she got off work and they got married, just like that. No special party, no special dress....he called me 30 minutes later and told me and I was happy for him. Big parties would not have suited her at all, so it worked for them.

To each their own.

Nothing pisses me off more than when people assume that I was more concerned with my wedding day than with my new marriage just because I had a big wedding, unless it's when people assume that no wedding means, no planning or thought went into it. It's as bad as thinking that a guy wearing lycra bike shorts is gay.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Nothing pisses me off more than when people assume that I was more concerned with my wedding day than with my new marriage just because I had a big wedding, unless it's when people assume that no wedding means, no planning or thought went into it. It's as bad as thinking that a guy wearing lycra bike shorts is gay.
    ^ I concur! Except I'm the opposite. I had a lot of criticism for deciding to get married (a decision we made together--not a traditional proposal) then getting married 4 days later (why wait???). I think people become critical when they are trying to process someone else's behavior/decisions that they don't understand (I've never been guilty of that myself). People are just different. To each their own.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Interesting, often couples of other cultures get married first at a registary office before having their traditional ceremony- I have know both Chinese and Indian couples doing this. I suspect they want to make sure their marriage is legit. There is absolutely no fuss involved, more like a business transaction. Maybe your collegue has something else in mind in the near future?

Just to be clear GLC--I, too, believe in "to each their own" when it comes to weddings. I have nothing against those people who choose to have a big(ger) wedding--which is why I said in my first post that I understand why people have them and attach the significance to them that they do. I hope my comments did not offend and, if they did, I apologize. To be honest, I would have liked a small ceremony and reception, but the state of my family has skewed my feelings about celebrating things with them. My parents have a way of taking the joy out of things, so not having them there was more important than a communal ceremony.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My mom really wanted a much bigger wedding for me, but she was ok with my decision to have a small ceremony with only the immediate family. She organized a picnic 3 weeks later and invited all the aunts & uncles, so she sort of got her way.

I'm ok with any type of ceremony and if a couple doesn't have a lot of money for a big wedding and doesn't want to rack up debt for a big wedding, they are being fiscally responsible and that's a good sign for their future (not a guarantee of course). I liked our little ceremony and it was pretty much no fuss, and we have this nice little story now about how my husband, who is very quiet, took my mother aside and told her to stop bossing everyone especially his future wife around.

If I were to do it again I'd probably let Mom do the bigger wedding for me. I don't really regret having a small, low-stress wedding. But I feel differently about weddings now, after I missed a couple weddings of my cousins because they live too far away, but I was able to make the grueling drive to 3 funerals. There were too many relatives I only see at the funerals, and spouses & children that I only met at a funeral--or the one little girl that I never did meet. I met her little brother at her funeral.

I would like to see them at happier occasions. In recent years I have definitely made more of an effort to go to weddings when I'm invited, even if I don't know the couple all that well. I want to have more memories of weddings and happy occasions than memories of funerals.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike