Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Amusing Article

Amusing Article

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here is the funniest dang biking-related article I've read in a while! I was grinning the whole time, because already I sympathize with the whining!

Best thing I have ever read on Cracked.com!!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I don't think it's funny at all. I know it's supposed to be sarcastic and the guy who wrote it is a cyclist, but it feels anti-cyclist to me. And the comments (I only read a few) were gross, anti-cyclist, and anti Semitic.
    Ugh.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It was written by a woman and I got the impression that she probably rides on a regular basis from things said (about the functional importance of clothes and bright colors).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I got the same impression as zoom-zoom. The author knew things I certainly didn't, and at the end explained that they ride regardless and host cyclo charities for cancer. The author is only pointing out some things we ourselves have joked about on this forum in a humorous fashion -- that the sport can make us look a little silly, that it can be frightening, etc.. I didn't once think of it as anti-cycling at all. The comments may or may not be anti-cyclist. I didn't bother to read them because they in no way reflect the views of the original author. But the article itself was good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    The comments may or may not be anti-cyclist. I didn't bother to read them because they in no way reflect the views of the original author. But the article itself was good fun.
    Ditto. It's unfair to judge any piece of writing by comments that they likely have no control over. I didn't find it anti-cyclist in the least. A LOT of the things she touched on are things that I personally found odd before riding, myself...going commando, chamois butter, garish clothes!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I generally don't read the comments, either, I just happened to see the first 5 or so...
    I guess I am weird. I never found anything strange about not wearing underwear, chamois butter, or the clothes. These things all have a purpose and a function in cycling. I don't find jerseys garish (hey, just another type of clothing I can buy!), or shorts weird. When I started cycling, I had been the world of gyms for 20 years, so to me, this was just a different type of exercise, with different equipment/clothes. My son and DH had been riding for a couple of years when I started, so I was well aware of all of these things before I needed them.
    Of course, you don't need any of these things to ride a bike. But, if you are going to ride for fitness, these things make riding more comfortable.
    I remember a few years ago, a woman in my spin class stated she could "never not wear underwear... it's not how I was brought up." I thought, OK, what does the way you were brought up have to do with being comfortable on a bike? I mean, she was complaining about chafing. I know I am much less modest than a lot of women (i.e. I kind of was surprised to see some women have to go into a private changing room at the gym), and I personally think that women are generally socialized to think this stuff is weird, as opposed to guys. Both of my sons and my DH had no issue with any parts of cycling attire. And DH and DS #2 started riding at a time when they were often harassed by drivers commenting on their attire.
    I know that some stuff about cycling seems strange to others, but every sport has its "things."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yeah, I didn't think much of that, either. If we want to snigger about that stuff among ourselves, well, fine, but it's a whole 'nother thing to confirm all the stereotypes and prejudices that bike-haters have about us. Especially since it's on a general interest site. If our bike-hating coworkers/relatives/whoever read that article, do you think they'll have more respect for us as cyclists, or want to try riding themselves?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler