Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started doing C25K in Nov. I consider myself pretty fit already but I sucked at running (jogging really). I am training for a New Years Day 5k and I'm on week 6 of the program. I can already tell the leaps and bounds improvement in my jogging fitness. I think I'm jogging about a 10 min mile. I also just downloaded the Nike run app so I can get some distance info also. C25K is an excellent app to help build up to jogging. I highly recommend it. Good luck with your running Velo!

PS. I agree that the only thing that will keep you in cycling shape is cycling so I just accept that I'll have work to do in the Spring when I get back into it more regularly.
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

+1 on C25K - also Jeff Galloway has some great Walk/Run intervals - free podcasts on iTunes under "Motion Traxx" - 30/30 sec run walk, 1/1 min run walk, 2/1 min run walk and 3/1 min run walk. Music changes during run interval so that you pick up your cadence.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Be careful though. Somehow, for me, "running as cross-training" turned into training for my fourth marathon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    It has turned off quite a bit colder now, so I'm riding my trainer more. I'd like to do some running here at home just to see what I'm capable of, but want to spend every day possible in the saddle before I have to say bye-bye to the bike for a while.
    I would recommend you to start running before you separate with the bike/trainer. Start integrating 1 or 2 running days per week so your body gets used to running. Otherwise you'll be sore half of the week and you won't be able to run as much as you want to because it will be painful for the muscles and you'll have to do nothing but rest for 3-4 days until your muscles recover.
    If you don't want to lose the time on the saddle, do double workouts: one cycling and one jogging. I noticed that the sore muscles from running don't interfere with my moderate cycling.
    To sum it up: start running as soon as possible.

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice in this thread. We are back and I was able to regularly run for fitness while gone, with a whole LOT of walking, too. The Couch to 5 K was a great resource. I'll never be a runner, though. Ha ha! But it was helpful for a situation where I had no access to any other workout. My heels are really, really sore from the walking and running. I wonder if my shoes were not quite right. I'm adding a picture of the view I had to endure whilst (truly) enduring the running (this would be the southern coast of Istanbul - on the Marmara sea, right after the Dardanelles from the Mediterranean as the sea opens up before the Bosphorus strait to the Black Sea). Thanks again, all. Back to the trainer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03363.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	15886

Name:	DSC03377.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	15884

Name:	DSC03385.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	15885
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Hey Velo, you sing my song. Right now, I'm a crappy runner. Given the choice, I'd always rather be on my bike.

I did couch to 5K and it really is a good program. At first I thought it was for the Biggest Loser crowd because there is a lot of walking in the beginning. But I stuck to it and really did run pain/injury free for awhile and enjoyed it.

Shoes - I invested in good running shoes because I didn't want any injuries. Running is pounding on our bodies & anything we can do to lighten the load is good. It isn't like cycling where we can get away with a crappy bike fit for a few weeks. On the bike, we aren't pounding and have the luxury of changing position.

I always try to run as if I'm stepping on eggshells. I did the Chi Running program awhile ago and it really helped my problems with knees and low back. I know you probably aren't wanting to get into it that much, so I'd just suggest a light step when you run. I found that I was pounding my heel into the ground and guess what - big problems with back issues. You can practice this with the couch to 5K program since your running, at first, is minimal.

I'll be going to San Fran for almost a week soon, so I'm ramping up my running. I find that after a few times, it's actually (almost) enjoyable. When I run more, I like it. No traffic, you don't have to suit up like the Michelin man in the winter, etc.
    Last edited by Dogmama; 01-06-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

"My heels are really, really sore from the walking and running."

Try running more on your midfoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

I'd be careful with that heel pain too. Read the thread about plantar fasciitis (hope that isn't what it is).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Kernel, that was a very informative video, thank you. I'm not very informed about running, so Iam sure my form is not optimal and that video was easy to understand and try to adopt. If I do anymore running, that is. I don't enjoy it much.

We walked and walked and walked... then walked some more, as we were in urban European cities, so I have a hard time determining if my running shoes or "town" shoes were making my heels sore. We easily walked 4 hours a day in addition to my workouts. If I continue to run as a cross training tool, I definitely need to evaluate my form and shoes. On the trip I discovered the running sub forum here, so if I have inquiries, I'll direct them there.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony