Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

The Dandy.........Watch this space

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a silly offer to make but first I wanted to know if an English comic called The Dandy, is or has been read by Americans over the decades? Over here in England, it has always been a popular comic since 1939, so for generations, a lot of fun has been had in reading it.

I do have a good reason for asking, so will probably leave this for a week or so, to see what replies I receive.

My reason for what I will be doing, is basically giving something back, as over the years I have had so many people from this site help me out in sending me various items from the US.

Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I'm not familiar with it, but maybe it's a generational thing?
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I haven't heard of it, and am very curious what you're planning!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Thumbs up Bit more information

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I haven't heard of it, and am very curious what you're planning!
    Hi Melalvai

Well, here is/was my plan, I bought two copies of the final edition of The Dandy, the next day on eBay they were fetching around £25 to £50 ($40 – $80).

Now possibly it is something to hang on to but initially I thought if anybody on TE was doing any raising money for any charity, they might be able to auction this comic, it is in 100% unread condition, not one page has been opened.

So any member on TE (at least 3 months membership), can have it.

The following eBay clip is of the same comic plus a 1939 annual...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2711139196...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...o-sell-1482362

I can almost guarantee that in years to come, this will be quite a valuable collectors item.

There have been several members on here who over the years, have helped me out by ordering items from the USA and posting them on to the UK, usually for my 10 year old grandson who is obsessed with The Blues, Hendrix, SRV and alike.

The offer is still there.
    Clock

That's fantastic! What a great idea.

There's a few non profits around here that do these silent auctions. The non profit I'm most fond of, which is building a 4-mile paved trail to connect town to the lake, hasn't talked about doing a silent auction yet, but let me ask around. Our fundraising efforts have taken a back seat to grant writing (which is of course just another form of fund raising) so we're about due for something, and maybe a couple months after the holidays people will have had a chance to recover from the holiday fundraising that has been going on for other charities around here.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    ...........There's a few non profits around here that do these silent auctions. The non profit I'm most fond of, which is building a 4-mile paved trail to connect town to the lake, hasn't talked about doing a silent auction yet, but let me ask around. Our fundraising efforts have taken a back seat to grant writing (which is of course just another form of fund raising) so we're about due for something, and maybe a couple months after the holidays people will have had a chance to recover from the holiday fundraising that has been going on for other charities around here.
    Well my dear, nobody else seems interested, so if you would like to have a think about it and decide you might be able to put it into a silent auction, then why not, just PM me.

Have a look at this, OK, this included a 1939 Annual too but even so, it sure raised a heck of a lot of money, equivalent to $6550

Clock

Nice PM from Melalvai and it is being put on hold until early Spring, which is fine by me, the offer of the comic will still be there for her.

Thanks for anybody reading the thread, it was genuine.
    Clock