Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

April Weekend Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

It finally seems time to start up a spring weekend ride thread

I just got in from a wonderful 18 mile ride I took it nice and easy since I've not been riding regularly, I think my average speed was around 12 - but that doesn't matter. What matters it is was wonderful, and I did indeed feel like a kid out playing. It was difficult to know how to dress, LAST time I was seriously under-dressed and had to stop after 4 miles. THIS time, though the temps were close to 60, I had my light-weight tights on, my arm sun-coolers (arm warmers seemed overkill), and a sleeveless vest on over my ss jersey. It was perfect, not too warm, not too cold.

Excellent to hear you still got out dispite the wind!! I didn't get out today like we'd planned as I woke up feeling sorta like I had the flu... couldn't breath and stiffness all over, espically in the neck, but I think it was from overworking the last few days and being heads down in this project I'm on and hours of tedious work infront of a monitor. I don't like to take decongestants as they normally make me feel out of sorts and elevate my BP slightly, but took one and bailed on the ride, dispite the gorgous day.

Will try and get out in the morning before it rains.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Re: April Weekend Rides

The park I rode in is protected from the worst of the wind for the most part. I hope you get to feeling better quickly!

Glad you got out!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I got out yesterday and cut the planned route short. I ended up with 41 miles. The wind was so bad in some places that I lost speed downhill. A couple of places I was pedaling all I could on flat sections and couldn't break 11mph.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Went for a ride yesterday with my husband and my neighbor. A bit windy, but otherwise a nice day. I almost didn't go, a slight upper respiratory thing going on, but decided to give it a try, figuring I could always turn back if need be. I was having so much fun though, that I went almost double my planned miles. About 37 total, felt great!
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

What a great week we've had, weather-wise!! It's enough to incite Spring Fever! I managed to get out every day this week and hope to next week in spite of the rain that is predicted. Planned my rides today and yesterday to work the wind into the workout and had a some great rides these past few days. Thursday was no wind at all and I matched a PB on a 35 mile route that I regularly ride. Getting very excited about riding without being loaded down with layers and layers - today rode for the first time with no cold weather clothing additions.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I rode about 23 miles with my friends. DH sprained his ankle yesterday, in a stupid yard work trip over a rock and fall thing, so I rode to their house, about 5 miles and then we did 18. It was really nice to be riding on my favorite roads in Acton and Boxborough, but it just feels like a very hard start to the season. I stayed with the male half of my friends, until we got to a hill, but I was able to catch him afterwards. We also had some strong wind gusts here, but the sun was out more than I thought it would be and it was a pleasant 58 degrees. I was on the edge of being overdressed, but I unzipped and dealt with it. When we got back to their house, we were all tired, so my friend went to go take a nap and her DH took me and my bike home in the car, so he could get some ice cream at Kimball Farm.
    Debating about A) riding to the gym very early in the AM tomorrow and B) am I up to a 34 mile group ride with some good hills on Wednesday, or should I do the "relaxed pace" 23 mile ride where I know I'll be frustrated at the slower speed? I usually have to do one early season ride where I just make myself suffer and then I am back in the saddle.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I went on a nice 30 mile trip today as my first real ride with clipless shoes. It was such a nice day, made even nicer by not falling So glad it's biking season!

I rode both days this weekend. We were supposed to do a century on Saturday but I didn't sleep well and wasn't feeling great so we went for a local ride instead but it turned out to be a wild one - we did this climb that ends with a coupe of miles of mostly unpaved gravelly stuff, and it had rained a couple days ago so it was muddy. I was on the wrong bike to try that climb (average grade is 10% I think? Some spots 21%!) but even more so, wrong for the descent. I was on my carbon aero bike which has race wheels and super skinny race tires - why my husband led me up that rode with me on that bike, I don't know. I somehow made it down in one piece but I had several moments where I was certain I was going to crash. 22 mph downhill in muddy gravel on a racing bike - super stiff carbon is TERRIBLE as you can imagine - jostled near to death and I couldn't brake and I seriously thought I was going to eat it, two or three times, so I just relaxed and prepared to crash and roll...and somehow that saved me, just letting off the brakes and trying to balance and somehow ride it out. But when it was over, I seriously said "HOLY **** I LIVED THROUGH THAT" out loud. Today was just an easy tandem ride (and we got a flat!)
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by gocard View Post
    I went on a nice 30 mile trip today as my first real ride with clipless shoes. It was such a nice day, made even nicer by not falling So glad it's biking season!
    Congrats! That first non fall ride is awesome :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Congrats! That first non fall ride is awesome :-)
    Thanks! hope you had a nice weekend!

I went out to Canajoharie. I first stopped at the Arkell Museum.

Then, I did about 13 miles.
    I'm sure we're Familiar with this Factory: