Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I do frittatas in a regular non-enameled cast iron skillet. I do it mostly on the stovetop, and just finish them under the broiler for five minutes or so.

Yum.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I do frittatas in a regular non-enameled cast iron skillet. I do it mostly on the stovetop, and just finish them under the broiler for five minutes or so.

Yum.
    I've not had much luck with plain cast iron in a long time...I destroy the seasoning at the drop of a hat I eat fritatas a LOT, and I've never been lucky in cooking eggs with cast irn regardless of seasoning. How were you able to season it that well? As for me, I just cook the sausage on top of the stove, then mix in the eggs and veggies, and pop the whole thing into the oven for about 30 minutes. Yum

I don't know, just re-seasoned the pan often, like pretty much every use, when it was new? I don't eat pork, really not that much meat at all, which kind of makes me have to be more diligent about caring for the pan. I would think cooking bacon a few times would season it up pretty well. I sauté the vegetables in a good amount of oil, considerably more than I'd use for the veggies alone, then pour the beaten eggs over them. Maybe 10 minutes stovetop (if it's really deep, I'll cover the skillet), then a few minutes under the broiler. Maybe a sprinkle of grated parmigiano reggiano.

I do have a cast iron wok that I was never able to season. It's sitting unused because I just could not get the surface right.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yeah, that sounds like what I've tried to do, but was never successful on keeping it seasoned. Enamel covered does it for me