Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I really have not run much at all this month. (UGH!). I'm up in CT which is very cold for me! Yesterday I did go out for a chilly, hilly 3 miler with some snow flurries--it was fun. Today just a walk (brrrrr!). I did find a trail close by to go for a longer run tomorrow. At least I brought plenty of running stuff to layer!

K
    katluvr

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Today I put on another free running event for a bunch of friends. The Winter Solstice Half Marathon. I was going to run 13, but ran out of time and only got 10 in. The "entry fee" to this race was 4 canned goods to be given to the Regional Food Bank. We received almost 300 cans. Love my running community!!!

Next Sunday I'm putting on another free event. It's the "Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013.1" in honor of the new year. Another half marathon. Everyone will make their own bibs (as usual) and everyone's bib must have a resolution on it, or something they want to accomplish in the new year. The "entry fee" will be a healthy snack to share with others. I'm also having a best dressed contest. Whoever shows up in the fanciest New Year's attire will win a prize.
    I love these free events. Races are so dang expensive anymore that it's just nice to get together 30-50 people and have fun. The last two have benefitted our community in some way. This one won't, but the next one will.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Well, I knew at the time that the third glass of bourbon was a bad idea last night, but after 2 glasses I didn't much care. Doing a tempo run this morning after all that bourbon was also a bad idea... Went only 3 miles, at an 8:10 pace, and it was not fun at all. But I'm feeling much better now!

Glad you're feeling better now, skhill!

Just did 5 miles outside. It's kind of a gloomy day, but it was still nice to be outside. I usually overseers at 32 degrees, but I got it nearly right today!

Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it. I hope you have a happy and safe holiday. I look forward to running with you, so to speak, next year!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the crappy weather and getting home from work in the dark, I haven't been running outside. I joined Planet Fitness and have been running on the Treadmill and using the Elliptical Trainer, plus working on the weight machines. I've been doing some speedwork on the Treadmill and hope this helps along with the strength training.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

(Off topic) How do you like planet fitness? There's one opening just a mile or so from my house, and it's so cheap I'm thinking of switching over. These days I mostly just use the gym for the treadmill; strenght training remains mainly a good intention...

We went on a group AMC hike today; w've done this one once before, as the leader does it every XMas.
    It's close to home and beautiful, but they were really walking, not hiking and I was freezing, although I was dressed in my normal hiking clothes for a temperature of 30. Finally, when we had about 2 miles to go, DH and I, plus another woman went ahead of the group and I finally warmed up. However, it took me almost an hour to feel really warm again once I got home.
    6.5 miles is not short, even at a walking pace, but I realized how much I am used to running pace now, or faster hiking. But, it's in the GPS now and I look forward to maybe a trail run here in the future.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

skhill, I really like Planet Fitness. Its about 5 mins from my house and can't beat $10 a month(the other membership is $19.99 and includes massage and tanning). They have a ton of Treadmills(30), Ellipticals, Arc Climber, Recumbents, Stationary Bikes, machines for every muscle group, free weights, 30 min workout room.
    2006 Trek 7100

That's great Tri Girl! I'd be at those with you if I lived near you! I love putting on little "food-raiser" runs in my community too and it brings out the runners for something fun and everyone gets to "give"! I've met new running buddies this way too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Today I put on another free running event for a bunch of friends. The Winter Solstice Half Marathon. I was going to run 13, but ran out of time and only got 10 in. The "entry fee" to this race was 4 canned goods to be given to the Regional Food Bank. We received almost 300 cans. Love my running community!!!

Next Sunday I'm putting on another free event. It's the "Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013.1" in honor of the new year. Another half marathon. Everyone will make their own bibs (as usual) and everyone's bib must have a resolution on it, or something they want to accomplish in the new year. The "entry fee" will be a healthy snack to share with others. I'm also having a best dressed contest. Whoever shows up in the fanciest New Year's attire will win a prize.
    I love these free events. Races are so dang expensive anymore that it's just nice to get together 30-50 people and have fun. The last two have benefitted our community in some way. This one won't, but the next one will.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp, Specialized BG Lithia w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails
    2009 Specialized Myka FSR, Specialized Windie 143

Well, I guess my walk/hike was a little more intense than I thought. I woke up this morning really feeling it!
    Won't make fun of that again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well, I guess my walk/hike was a little more intense than I thought. I woke up this morning really feeling it!
    Won't make fun of that again.
    This made me giggle. You were probably moving so fast to warm up, your little legs had to work double-time to keep up with you.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I worked from home today and squeezed in 3.5 miles at the gym during my lunch hour. It was ridiculously warm in the cardio room though and it felt like torture to me. I find it fascinating that the handful of women whom I see there on a regular basis almost always run wearing thick sweatshirts and long pants, while I'm stripped down to a halter top and my thinnest knickers (I hate wearing running shorts). How do they bear it? Surely it's not comfortable running in a 70+ degree room with a sweatshirt on, but maybe I just "run" warm.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indysteel, I'm with you. I see women all bundled up working out. I'm sweating so much my shirt is wet and I'm in tshirt and shorts(I don't like running shorts either, so I wear mens shorter basketball shorts)
    2006 Trek 7100

I'm the same way. I either wear knickers or shorts that look like bike shorts, but without the chamois, or a running skirt. I always wear a sleeveless top when running indoors. I have gotten in serious heat trouble running at home on my treadmill and not putting on the room AC or opening the window in the loft where my home gym is. Even in the winter, or in the summer if it's raining out and the central AC is on, I need to do this. After I had to sit down on the floor and put my head between my legs from almost fainting, I realized this had happened a few times either at the gym or at home and it was heat related. Somehow, I built up to riding in heat, but I can't do the same with running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I am always amazed at the amount of clothing that many women wear when working out in a gym. For an inside workout I am stripped down to shorts and tank. If I wasn't embarrassed to I'd be in just a sports bra. And I am always dripping, even when the gym has the AC on.

I did go for couple nice REAL winter runs this week. I was up in Quebec where they had snow and below freezing weather. My husband and I went for a run and saw several deer. Very pretty.