Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just started Couch to 5K

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I did the first day of C5k and I must say I will be doing week one over at least once...I was worried about my knees at my weight but other then being a little sore ( I also did a 45 cardio wight training yesterday so it could be ether or)

Any pointers form other runners? I really want to be able to do triathlons next year and running has never been my strong point.

Two words: Chi Running.

Also, shoes that fit, including being wide enough. Personally I have a pretty low opinion of shoe store gait analysis (some stores probably have very good personnel, but there's really no way to know unless they have PT or PTA after their name). If they look at your feet standing but not running and try to put you in a particular kind of shoe because of the way you stand, ignore everything else they say. If the shoes press against the sides of your feet (particularly the toe joints or the corners of your toes), they're too narrow; if you can't spread your toes out inside the shoe, they're too narrow; if you can't stand on "four corners of your feet" (first and fifth metatarsal heads and inside and outside heel), they don't fit and are likely too narrow.

You're being smart to start slow and do weeks over if needed. Good luck (and we'll be looking for you over in the regular running threads ).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes, what Oakleaf said. I think shoes are the most important thing with running. Go slow, its OK if you have to repeat a week. Its also important to listen to your body, some weeks I ran every other day, some I would do 2 days in a row. I started the end of June, did my first 5K last weekend. I am slow - 15:00 miles and I'm only running about 12 MPW - I plan to do a 10 miler and a 1/2 Marathon next year. I'm 56 yo, 30# overweight, plus have a plate/6 screws in my right ankle. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    BTW, there is alot of good information on the Running World website and forum too.
    Last edited by surgtech1956; 10-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Thank you ladies! I am looking forwards to mixing this into my cycling program along with weight lifting to loss weight and get my life back!

C25K is a great program. You should feel free to modify it up or down (like repeat or skip a week).
    It's better to go too slow than too fast.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I just started C25K last week. Tonight I did W2/D1. I am a very active person who HATES running so I thought trying the program might ease me into it in a manner where I'd hate it less. So far, I am not loving it. My HR gets so high when I'm running that I find it hard to breathe. Running just does not feel good. I'm hoping it will get better. I did go to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They're definitely way better than my shoes for Zumba. I'm planning to sign up for a New Years Day 5k. I think that's shaving a week off the program so we'll see how it goes. If I do the program, run the 5k, and never run again, I'll be fine with that. At least I tried....

On a side note, the free C25K app on the iPhone is awesome - it does all the work for you (except for the running! )
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

Breathing while running is very different from breathing while cycling. Give yourself some time to figure out the breathing. What rhythm are you using? I typically prefer to inhale three steps, exhale two when I'm running at a moderately hard pace. It can vary all the way from 5/4 at a very easy jog to 2/2 at a sprint - I really can't breathe any faster than that, but maybe that's because of my mild asthma?

Plus, anyone's maximum HR for running is always 5-10 bpm higher than for cycling - last I read a couple of years ago, exercise physiologists weren't 100% sure why, but they theorize it's a combination of weight-bearing and the cooling effect of air flow at the higher speeds of cycling.

Hope you start liking it better. But if you don't, you know, no one HAS to run. It's good to do some weight bearing, moderate to high impact activity to protect your bones, but it doesn't have to be running.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-14-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amb View Post
    I just started C25K last week. Tonight I did W2/D1. I am a very active person who HATES running so I thought trying the program might ease me into it in a manner where I'd hate it less. So far, I am not loving it. My HR gets so high when I'm running that I find it hard to breathe. Running just does not feel good. I'm hoping it will get better. I did go to a running store to get fitted for shoes. They're definitely way better than my shoes for Zumba. I'm planning to sign up for a New Years Day 5k. I think that's shaving a week off the program so we'll see how it goes. If I do the program, run the 5k, and never run again, I'll be fine with that. At least I tried....

On a side note, the free C25K app on the iPhone is awesome - it does all the work for you (except for the running! )
    I'm no expert on running, but I pick it up nearly every fall when I stop riding as much. It took me a few rounds of this to finally figure out that running doesn't suck nearly as much if I content myself with running at a slower, sustainable pace. While I'd theoretically love to be faster--and maybe I'll get there eventually if I stop stopping/starting the running thing--it's just counterproductive for me to press on with a pace my lungs and legs aren't happy with. So, one suggestion I have for you in terms of your breathing and heart rate is to slow down. Your body may not be ready for the pace you're trying to maintain.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I graduate C25K today! Well, I technically graduated yesterday (finishing the last workout) but today is my "Resolution Run 5k". I just wish the weather was going to be more than 18 degrees! At least the sun in CO helps, or so I'm convincing myself.

I think the program was a success. I don't hate running anymore which was my main goal. I don't know that I love it.....maybe I luke warm like it now. I've had problems with an under-performing glut causing hamstring tightness since Mar '12 and the running seems to have flared it up a little. I think I need a week or two off after my 5k and I need to resurrect my PT glut exercises. I'm happy that my plantar fasciitis from '08 never resurfaced though.

The C25k app is great. I highly recommend. Happy New Year!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

Good luck on the 5k! And the good thing about the cold is that it's really hard to overheat. Easy to run faster to get to a warm beverage too!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    You must feel great about your success! Have a great run today and make sure you let us know how it goes!

Yay! Enjoy your run today.

I finished in 29:27. I'm happy with that. It was definitely COLD to start (15-18 deg?) My fingers were popsicles for the first half but by the time I crossed the finish line, the gloves were off. My butt/legs were cold but all in all, I dressed appropriately. There was more than one person in SHORTS and even a person in a tank top. I have no idea how they did it...or why.
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow!! Congrats on your 5K- your time is SUPER impressive!!!!! You did it!!

Cold running is my favorite- even when it's freezing cold. I always get so hot while running that I never mind the freezing cold (well, maybe except when my sweat freezes on me).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Well done ... and BRRRRRRRRRR!