Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

So, I'm shopping....

To disable ads, please log-in.

... my "fast bike" -- the 7500FX with 15,000 miles on it -- has been disapparated from my driveway. I hope it has magical qualities that turn its theft into something good... and gosh, golly, I need a new "go reasonably fast!" bike, especially since I rode so little this year that the poor thing probably threw itself under the legs of somebody who would ride it more often.

My new bike will be somethign my Trek dealer carries, and I've been promised a 20% discount (one of those advantages of developing a relationship with a local business ) ...I prefer upright (they run so much cheaper and I am the rare bird who doesn't need lots of places to put my hands)... but had thought the Trek and I would be together forever, so I haven't even thought... I also dont' care at all about color. I want something that will inspire me to have another 8 or 9 or 10,000 mile year in 2013

Any thoughts? Help me spendm y money!

Does your local Trek dealer only carry Trek and, if not, what other brands does it carry?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You might look at the Trek FX series. It has several levels from 7.1 through 7.9 (I think). As the number goes up, the component groups and frame material does too....and of course the price. They are often characterized as a flat bar road bike. The series also has some models with disc brakes. I have had a 7.5 for 2 1/2 years and find it to be fairly fast and reliable.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Does your Trek dealer carry Jamis? If so, the Coda is one you might really like.

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    You might look at the Trek FX series. It has several levels from 7.1 through 7.9 (I think). As the number goes up, the component groups and frame material does too....and of course the price. They are often characterized as a flat bar road bike. The series also has some models with disc brakes. I have had a 7.5 for 2 1/2 years and find it to be fairly fast and reliable.

P2
    I think the OP's first bike was in the FX series. It remains a good choice though. I started off with a 7.5 FX myself in 2006. It seems, though, that in subsequent model years, Trek really started jacking up the price, but using lesser quality components at each price point.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yes, my fast bike was a 7500 FX. (I'm sorta thinking that as soon as I replace it, it will manifest itself, especially since I've nudged some folks in the neighborhood it may have migrated to and the timing was so opportunistic that it wasn't as likely to be a "grab some bikes to ship to Chicago to sell" theft.) The Trek shop has *mostly* Treks... basically, if Trek fills the niche, it's Trek but they also carry some quirkly Pugsleys andthe like. (GOing to go to the website and scope it out.) I'll get good advice from the staff (though right now they may not want to sell me anything; I've brought in two bikes this year that were in rather bad shape...)

will they order something for you, and still give the 20% discount? I bought a Salsa Vaya recently and love it - see this thread: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=49864

Drop bars but pretty upright geometry. It's comfortable, versatile, and zippier than I expected.
    Road bike: Specialized Ruby Comp (2011)
    Commuter: Salsa Vaya (2012)

I went down after work yesterday... too dark to test ride anything but I could look and talk and straddle. I first inquired about my Gazelle that's in for (major) repairs ... yes, they can get fenders and chain guard (need to ask about skirt guard, too) which are the parts most specific to that bike (which is from HOlland -- got it from a grad student returning).
    I told him I needed to replace my "go fast" bike... and as we went towards the bikes in the back Peter (shop owner) called "7.5" - and I'm leaning hard in that direction. I will test ride something with drop bars but I think I like flat ones better. I took piano lessons and can't play piano for beans, but I do know how to relax my wrists so I've simply never had those kind of comfort issues.
    I remember what Fritz used to say (co-manager who passed away a while back) when somebody was changing bikes -- what do you hate about your current bike, and what do you like about it? And about the only thing I didn't like about my 7500 was it beating up my butt on, say, the third long day of riding. The 7.5 has a carbon fork. That doesn't connect with my butt -- but should help with that, right?
    Now, the thing I LURVED about the 7500 was the fast wheels, and they've changed 'em... but I can swap out for faster wheels.
    A slight complication is that all of the road bikes I got on had handlebars too wide (I have skinnnnny shoulders). So to get an honest evaluation of how they feel, some swapping out will have to happen. (However, I also kinda like just never ever having to worry about handle3 bar tape.)
    I also don't think that Johnny understood that while I need a "go fast" bike, I just need it to go pretty fast. I have no desire for an uber-fast bike; it's just that my other bikes are utilitarian and over 40 pounds (or the folder with fat tires). I'd rather be the 50-something lady goin' 17 miles an hour at teh start of the ride who will pull you home at 17 mph at the end of the ride (Of course, I'll bring a tailwind to help...) I don't need to be in the 22 mph folks...

Other bikes you could look at are the Cannondale Quick and Specialized Vita. They are both flat bar road bikes. The Vita is a womens' model and the Quick comes in a womens' version, so should both have narrower handlebars.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    Other bikes you could look at are the Cannondale Quick and Specialized Vita. They are both flat bar road bikes. The Vita is a womens' model and the Quick comes in a womens' version, so should both have narrower handlebars.
    I ride occasionally with a woman who has the Specialized Vita. She is extremely happy with it, so I know there is at least one very satisfied customer for that particular bike. They look good, too.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I will check!
    I am going to test ride a 7.6 -- we had our bike club holiday dinner Sunday and my bike shop owner was there so we chatted about it... the 7.6 has a seat post with a little shock absorber... some of its reviews are pretty disdaining ("beginner-friendly but heavy") but we'll see. I should see what they say about the 7.5 FX... "heavy" to me is my cargo bike. (He also mentioned that its shock absorber is maintenance free and that, "just sayin'," that was important for me ... he wanted to know if I'd put the poor Gazelle into a salt bath and isn't sure it's rescuable...)
    I am loyal to that shop (it's not that big a town; the other shop is just not as really into cycling, wouldn't give me a discount, and doesn't know my cycling hysteria -- i mean history ) and Specialized would be at The Other Place. I'd almost prefer an ugly bike (less likely to get swiped and more gratifying when I pass people )... but I do want to Think Beyond The FX...