Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ergon Grips: Again

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this has been discussed to death. But, which ones should I get? I want them to be comfortable, and I want the vertical bar end thingie. Performance Comfort? Performance Race? Comfort made from cork?

It also mentions choosing depending on shifter type. But I don't see that is says anything else. They are Shimano XTR RapidFire SL's. If that helps.

I have large hands. Definitely.

I like the way the GP4's look. And the GP5's. But I'm not sure about the extra bend in the vertical bar end of the 5. (Wow. Difficult description).

Experiences?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 11-27-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I admit, I didn't enjoy the Ergons during downhill and drops. Probably because of my desire for a death grip I have one guy in our club who swears by these http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/gripstape/grips due to the flexibilty.

The guys in our club don't like the bar ends. They say it's just one more thing to get in the way in the event of a crash, but I know nothing and there are a lot of people who use them.

The manager at my LBS swears by ESI chunkys, so far Ourys are working well for me. Sorry, I probably wasn't the least bit helpful, but I know someone else will pipe in.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Personally, I'm not sure I like the idea of bar ends on a bike that I'll probably end up crashing. If I were riding almost exclusively on pavement or gravel paths, sure, but on actual trails? No way! Just my two cents.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Hmm. Maybe I"ll leave off the ends. I kind of liked the idea since this mb is fairly aggressive compared to other styles. But maybe that would put me in a weird position anyway.

I watched a video on switchbacks today. Guess it's a start.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

There are two aspects to sizing. One is the length of the grip. If you have twist shifters for sure you need the short grips. If you have trigger shifters you should have enough handlebar length for the standard length grips unless you put separate bar ends on your bars.

The other issue is whether the grips are "large" or "small." This isn't length, but the width. The large is very large and likely too large for you.

I have Ergon grips without integrated bar ends. I love them.

(I'm shopping for Ergon grips for spouse's bike so I've been reading about them)
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    There are two aspects to sizing. One is the length of the grip. If you have twist shifters for sure you need the short grips. If you have trigger shifters you should have enough handlebar length for the standard length grips unless you put separate bar ends on your bars.

The other issue is whether the grips are "large" or "small." This isn't length, but the width. The large is very large and likely too large for you.

I have Ergon grips without integrated bar ends. I love them.

(I'm shopping for Ergon grips for spouse's bike so I've been reading about them)
    Ditto all of this. I have the smalls and they are none too small. The larges are huge. I would also not go with the bar ends if you're actually planning to ride off-road. You won't make use of them (you can't shift and brake if your hands are on the ends) and they can get hung up on stuff if/when you crash.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm going to offer a different opinion about bar ends - I like them and won't ride off-road without them. On really rough sections I keep my hands on the main bars and apply outward pressure on the bar ends with the edge of my palms; this allows me to maintain control without a death grip on the main bars. I never ride with my hands gripping only the bar ends. I've never had a problem with them when I crash, but I've been careful to keep the tips level with the bars (as opposed to positioned above the level of the bars) so that I don't get gouged by them if I go over the bars.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

I like Ergons as long as it's not technical, but I find that I can't get a good grip on the bar in gnarly stuff or on long descents, which ends up causing numbness. I love ESI Chunkys. Lots of vibration dampening, not slippery, and I can get a good grip around them. Also, no bar ends for me....just one more thing to hook on trees.

I REALLY like the bar-ends on my mountain bike. When I get very close to trees they give me confidence because the tree would hit the bar-end before my hand - though of course we don't want either to happen.

Ergon has different grips for triggers or grip shifters - the actual brand of the shifter doesn't matter. I have the GP5 on my Jamis and love them. They were designed for trigger shifters, all I had to do to convert it for my left shifter (I've one grip and one trigger shifter) was to have my LBS cut it - it looks great.

To bar-end or not is a personal decision. For me it helps with confidence on trails with trees very close to the trail - I really don't use them for different hand position. I have Titec bar ends them on Gunnar, though that might change the next time I change the bar tape. I've never needed to use them on the road and trees aren't a concern there

I only use my bar ends when standing on a steep uphill.