Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jacksonville, Florida

Belly ring issue

To disable ads, please log-in.

This may verge on the border of cycling related. I did a 30 mile ride with BF on Saturday and later noticed that the bottom gem of my belly ring (it is a stainless bar with a CZ stud on the top and a larger CZ stone on the bottom) must have pushed toward the edge of my belly button and left a bit of an abrasion. First time this has happened since having it redone about a year ago. I don't think I was in any different riding position, so the only thing I can think of was it was a little askew to begin with. Anyone else ride with a belly piercing? Do you change to a specific piece of belly jewelry before you ride? I haven't ever changed it. I like it because it is relatively simple and is usually just there.

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire

On my bike
    Your shorts may have pushed on the jewelry causing the irritation. Sometimes my shorts will push on my small barbell but I don't think I've had any problems with it. My piercing is at least 10 years old though. Seems like I remember that it can take up to a year for a navel piercing to completely heal. I would try a smaller barbell and try to adjust the shorts so that the band isn't hitting the piercing.

northern Virginia
    I've had a small ring for 10 years. I don't recall any problems with it when cycling. If there was a gemstone I could see it causing irritation if clothing pushed on it or I was sitting the wrong way.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles