Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running/hamstring

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've noted recently that when I try to jog more than 200-400 meters (less sometimes) that one of my hammies gets quite perturbed with me. Is this indicative of a running form problem?

This may not be helpful, but... I was trying to figure out why my calf kept tightening up on my run this morning, then I remembered that I spent much of Sunday in high heels. No wonder my calf is reacting.

I don't wear heels of any size, though that is a good idea. It may simply be that I shouldn't run on days that I've done Romanian deadlifts. I did tweak that leg during the summer with improper running form (overstriding) which is why I've been wondering about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    It may simply be that I shouldn't run on days that I've done Romanian deadlifts.
    That may be...

Why don't you have a friend make a little video of you running with their phone? Warm up well and shake out the nervousness that might make you run weird ... then have them video you from the front, side and rear.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That may be...

Why don't you have a friend make a little video of you running with their phone? Warm up well and shake out the nervousness that might make you run weird ... then have them video you from the front, side and rear.
    Thanks for the good idea! I will do that this weekend, I doubt that I will be able to coordinate this until then.

We did some sprint exercises yesterday to warm up for a VERY intense workout and I really did a number on my leg - it isn't the hamstring, it is something on the inner thigh - unsure if muscle or tendon. I am taking 1 week off of anything that looks like running at all (nothing else bothers it), and will visit a local running store that provides a free running form evaluation. If I am doing something to inadvertently cause this then I need to know now.

Sprinting to warm up??? As in, sprinting BEFORE you're warmed up???

Anyone could get hurt that way....

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Sprinting to warm up??? As in, sprinting BEFORE you're warmed up???

Anyone could get hurt that way....
    We had already been warming up for about 12 minutes or so prior to this, and pretty significantly. Sometimes our "warmups" take 15-20 minutes... Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    We had already been warming up for about 12 minutes or so prior to this, and pretty significantly. Sometimes our "warmups" take 15-20 minutes... Sorry for any confusion.
    I'm not a huge fan of the idea of non-runners (which I think you are) doing "sprints," no matter how warmed up. In trying to figure out whether I can safely do speed work myself, I've consistently been cautioned to wait until I have an adequate mileage base. Now, just how adequate that base has to be is subject to debate, but some base is recommended. And even then, I need to be really careful with form, especially with overstriding. So, with that in mind, I'd proceed cautiously when it comes to sprints, and jogging/running in general, as part of your classes at NIFS.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the idea of non-runners (which I think you are) doing "sprints," no matter how warmed up. In trying to figure out whether I can safely do speed work myself, I've consistently been cautioned to wait until I have an adequate mileage base. Now, just how adequate that base has to be is subject to debate, but some base is recommended. And even then, I need to be really careful with form, especially with overstriding. So, with that in mind, I'd proceed cautiously when it comes to sprints, and jogging/running in general, as part of your classes at NIFS.
    I agree - now the warmup exercise in question was only for about 15 meters, then we slowed to a jog for another 15 meters. We don't do this often, but our main workout yesterday was quite intense, so he was using every possible way to warm us up first. Right now I am not running at all until I've fully recovered. I probably would have been fine if I hadn't run 150 meters later in the workout, or jogged/walk up/down 5 flights of stairs....6 times. Stubborn I am...

Honestly I think the shorter the sprint, the better chance of bad form. That's definitely the case for me. When I've got enough time to settle into whatever, be it a grade or a pace, then I can start to Body Sense (R) and correct any form flaws. When it's very short ... sometimes I'll do intervals on a one-mile paved trail at a local hospital, which has teeny little elevation changes, hills like five feet high and 20 feet long, and that is the WORST for me, because I never get into climbing posture before they're over.

Anyway hope you heal quick!

The leg is healed, yippeeeeee! However....when using the foam roller this morning on my lats (under my arms, on the side), on one side I got a bit too aggressive and rolled beneath the rib cage....talk about some tissue soreness and I even managed to bruise myself!!!!!! Note to self, and to others, don't DO this! The foam rolling is doing wonders but MAN is it sore!

Oakleaf, I will remember what you said. I think part of the problem is I don't really know what good running form is - I've always avoided it like the plague. Now I look back and wonder why, but I was in far worse condition in those years. I am going to call the local Runners Forum and get them to look at my running style. I know I've a neutral foot strike, but that is all I know.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

I've been working on shortening my stride and I've quit worrying about speed for now. I am in the same situation as Catrin in my classes, in that sometimes we have to run for short bursts, at 5:30 AM, no less, when the old body just isn't ready. Last spring, one of the instructors (the evil one) had us outside doing runs around the cul de sac where the gym is, and of course, I felt the need to run with the people who are really runners (i.e., they compete and place well). That almost killed me. But, I do notice that when I get the hamstring issue you describe, Catrin, it's always due to a combination of certain types of exercise that seem to start the hamstring hurting. It's not running, per se, but more like running, after a day of lots of squats, or, steep climbs on the bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That is a good thought Crankin. Our group trainer mixes things up so much that it is difficult to say if this hamstring (or whatever it is) problem occurs when running after THIS or THAT activity. It seems to be completely resolved after no running or riding for a week and a half outside of an easy 30 minutes on the trainer this weekend so that is progress. We had "hurricane" day at my 6am group training session today which features (after an appropriate warmup) 30 second treadmill sprints that shorten as we increase the speed; between sprints we do other things. He capped my speed at 6 (everyone else went up to 7.5 or 8) and we always use an incline setting of 10. While my bruised side had a few issues with that, my leg was fine.

I agree that it has to be a combination of exercises that gets my hammie there, I just need to figure it out. If I can approach this right then perhaps I can prevent a repeat. I DO wear Nano 2 shoes to the group training, these are "crossfit shoes" - much of what we do is Crossfit and these shoes give me lateral support and help me keep my heels on the ground when we lift heavy things. They are pretty minimal, though not as minimal as they come. They feel fine when I run short distances, though I wouldn't want to start running laps in them.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-12-2012 at 05:34 AM.

One of the trainers at my gym has suggested I might want to limit most of my running right now to the treadmill outside of class, that it is easier on my joints until I get a bit more accustomed to it. Is there anything to that? I hate treadmills, they feel so...unnatural. I also can't see how they can be easier in my joints as my feet are still striking a firm surface, but I am ready to be educated.