Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Any favorite juicing recipes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently purchased an Omega juicer and have had a great time creating my own juices. I know there are a ton of different recipes out on the web, but I thought I'd ask if any fellow juicers here might have some favorite recipes.

Here's one I recently did and it was great!!

2-3 very large green apples
    3-4 large carrots
    2 inches of fresh ginger

Can be very gingery but really good. Use less ginger if you aren't into a strong ginger taste.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

I don't really follow recipes anymore, as I've gotten addicted to this method (from: here)
    3 parts grassy greens juice
    4 parts sweet juice
    2 parts zesty/sour/tart juice
    1 part spicy juice

Example:
    3 parts romaine/spinach/cucumber juice
    4 parts apple or pear juice
    2 parts kiwi or lemon juice
    1 part ginger

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    I don't really follow recipes anymore, as I've gotten addicted to this method (from: here)
    3 parts grassy greens juice
    4 parts sweet juice
    2 parts zesty/sour/tart juice
    1 part spicy juice
    That's a great way of looking at it Gnat, I hadn't even thought of that. thanks!!

I've found that juicing has helped me add more dark leafy greens to my smoothies without having to add too much fiber. So now I can add kale, collard and chard juice to my smoothies.
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm not into juicing and have no problems with leafy veggies but just haven't gotten around to the 3 named leafy veggies. Not concerned: I eat beet greens, all sorts of Asian green leafy veggies (try that stuff by sauteeing, not raw), etc.

I've never heard of problems of leafy veggies as a problem for fiber. It's more of grain based stuff and harder fruits, etc. Anyway healthy fibre if balanced among veggies, fruits, is good for diet. You want motility in your colon....
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post

I've never heard of problems of leafy veggies as a problem for fiber.
    I like to make smoothies for breakfast. Spinach mixes into a smoothie pretty well, no problems with that one, but I wanted additional raw dark leafy greens like the ones I mentioned. I tried adding some chopped kale but found a lot more fiber in the smoothie. It also didn't seem to agree with me too well, as in I got a lot of gas, followed by the runs, and then a urinary tract infection (which I haven't had since I was 5). I had read online that too much fiber or more fiber than your body is used to can cause problems. However, I've found that juicing the greens and adding the juice to the smoothies works much better for me.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-27-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

A new juicer! What fun!!! I love my juicer and blender~ they're the most used appliances in my kitchen. Although I'm scaling back on the juices and leaning more towards the green smoothies for now. I go back and forth. I'm diabetic and the vegetable juices and smoothies are a great alternative to fruit juices and smoothies for blood sugar control. My go-to juice recipe is:

4-8 leaves of kale
    1 cucumber
    3 stalks of celery
    1 fuji apple
    1-2 inches fresh of ginger
    1 lemon

If I need more juice, I add more cucumber. It seems to keep it on the more refreshing end instead of too greenie sometimes.
    I use the same ingredients for a green smoothie but slightly adjust it to the recipe below. It's a great source of clean veggie intake. Especially since I don't care for cooked greens. I mix it up with different greens throughout the week.This is my nutritional "insurance". There are also some great homemade V8 juice recipes out there. I'll try to find my favorite and repost later.
    2-3 large leaves of kale
    1-2 stalks celery
    1 cucumber
    1 apple
    1/2-1 whole lemon, peeled
    1 inch ginger
    sometimes I add 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries.

Happy juicing!

Quote Originally Posted by k8t View Post
    I love my juicer and blender~ they're the most used appliances in my kitchen. !
    Yup, same here. I take smoothies into work for breakfast, but now sometimes it is juice and other times it will be both. I got interested in juicing after watching the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead although I'm not doing any kind of extreme juicing. I'd just like to use it to eat healthier and maybe lose a few pounds.
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike