Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Small Triumphs Still Feel Good

To disable ads, please log-in.

Compared to all you who ride miles & miles per day, my rides will seem very puny indeed...but every increase in length makes me stronger and I feel good about it.

Today for the first time I made what I call the "small loop" all the way around and back to the gate without stopping. I think it's just under a half mile on our land, a lopsided quadrilateral with a stem I ride twice--going out down-slope and coming back up...sort of a 9 shape. I rode it the loop part the hard way (the longest side as an up-slope) and there was much gasping and puffing and gasping along the way, but...got it done. Also started off my weaker leg (took three tries, but made it.) I didn't have the heart-rate monitor on (sometimes you don't want to know how edgy you're being) but from the feel and previous rides wearing it, was well up there.

I can go farther with less effort on pavement, but the mowed trails are different every day--as the drought continues, the cracks and holes in the ground get bigger. This week's goal is to ride the loop without stopping every day, alternating the easier and the harder directions, and also ride a mile on the streets.

Nice!

Leave the heart-rate monitor and home and go have fun!

If you think about it in terms of percentage increase, it is not a small increment. Also, everyone starts somewhere. As long as you start and keep going, it doesn't matter. When I started two years ago, I was wiped out and proud of myself after a 6 mile ride. Now I knock out centuries with no problem and am on a racing team. Before you know it, that loop is going to just be a warmup.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

Woot!

Here's a secret - almost none of us are at a level where there's any point at all in comparing ourselves to others. Unless you're planning to go to the Olympics or turn pro, your triumph is every bit as big as that of someone who's riding more miles. You deserve to enjoy it, and I'm glad you are.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

^ This.

Glad you're out enjoying your bike and the outdoors!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Woot!

Here's a secret - almost none of us are at a level where there's any point at all in comparing ourselves to others. Unless you're planning to go to the Olympics or turn pro, your triumph is every bit as big as that of someone who's riding more miles. You deserve to enjoy it, and I'm glad you are.
    Well put Oakleaf! This is what I love about this forum. The kindness and support of other women. We all belong.

I remember how proud I was when I did my first "long" ride. Which was about five miles if I recall. LOL. Whatever you do, just keep having fun doing it!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Yep, what they said! We're all at different levels here, and that doesn't mean that your triumph has any less value than a racer setting a PR. It's all relative, and it's all good! Heck, when I was riding my mountain bike, I considered every ride where I didn't fall a personal victory. :-)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you all. I'm really enjoying the support and encouragement women here are giving each other. And I'm learning a lot.

Oak said it well. What you are doing today will be eclipsed by what you are doing in 6 months...and a year. I look back at my first road bike rides that seemed so long and now that distance is what it takes for me to simply feel warmed-up. Enjoy the progression in your fitness and abilities.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2