You gals may remember last Christmas...when we hid DS's present in the shower for unveiling the next AM:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	335232_2924839764374_1487214210_o.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	15790

He's ridden it a fair amount this year, but not as much as we would have expected. He has shown little interest in actually racing CX (mostly he likes to go and play with other kids at the races. He doesn't have much of a competitive personality). And the stinker has already pretty much outgrown his bike. We had hoped he'd get 2 years out of it, but he's grown a HUGE amount in the past year (upwards, only, heh).

Last Sunday our LBS had a fat bike demo day and DS was able to ride a friend's XS Mukluk Ti. Dear gawd, he is well and truly hooked. It's all he can talk about (he's actually found something to talk about that's not LEGO or zombies or weapons, heh). He loves going off road, but my sluggish old Cannondale mountain bike (since I got my El Mariachi I've talked to several people who said they tested that same bike and found it to be a horrible dog. After seeing the Nevegal tires referred to as "Never-gos" I suspect the tires are a big factor) made it hard for him to keep up...hills were a total no-go. And sand scares the bejeezus out of him. It would help if the bike weren't so hard to get up to speed and motor through the sand.

On the Mukluk he motored right up hills and rolled all over sand and logs like they weren't even there. He was giddy the whole way and like a new rider. Now he and I are both lusting over the same bike.

...and trying to figure out how to swing it. If we sell the Cannondale and his Redline CX bike we'd probably be able to cover almost half the price of a Muk 3...

I look forward to the day when he's done growing.