Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Which Joe Blow? Bike pump recommendations, please!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've finally come to terms that my old Bell Composite pump isn't going to cut it when it comes down to pumping up to ~105 psi for road tires. I did some searching on the forum for Joe Blow pump reviews and while I did find several that praise this pump, I am not sure which ones people are referring to! Apparently there are multiple models: Joe Blow Sport II (the one I'm considering), Pro, Max HP, Ace, etc. Does anyone have one of these pumps and do you like it?

I'm hoping to find a good one for around $50, as I'd like to get a pump and have it last for a while. I've also seen good reviews about Lezynes but some of those are pricier. I'm willing to consider higher end ones to have a pump that lasts longer but at the same time, I don't see the need to get an expensive one if there are others that are equally well recommended at a better price point. Thanks!
    Last edited by gocard; 11-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.

I have no opinion on Joe Blow pumps (we have a Silca pump), but I have to wonder about running your tires at 120 psi. It's mostly personal preference, but many of us ride at lower pressures for a more comfortable ride. You might do a search for past thread on the topic.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

^^ oops, corrected. I actually try to run it at about 105-110 psi, but it is hard for me to tell because I don't have a gauge. I've been doing it by feel so far unless I get a hold of my friend's Serfas pump which has a gauge. However, at around 100+ psi I know it is very hard for me to squeeze the tire whereas right now, no matter how much I pump with mine, I can still squeeze it and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with pumping. I am worried about riding on tires with pressures that are too low. I counted up to 30 pumps and it still felt no different than before, even though there was already air in the tube when I started. I haven't heard of Silca, I'll look it up. thanks
    Last edited by gocard; 11-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.

I have one of the Lezynes with a screw-on chuck so it doesn't bend the valve stem. It is nice because I can get my tires up to 110 psi with out a ton of upperbody strength. The only problem is that everyone I ride with likes it so much that they have stopped using their own pumps and just wait to use mine.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

I had been looking for quite some time myself. My old pump, a Park, worked great until I used it on the MTB and a little STANS (I run tubeless) would get in the head and stick the little ball inside that auto switches it from presta to schrader, preventing it from working. I did put a Silca push-on head on it and that worked ok but the rubber inside wore out fast; I would like something more long lasting that also locks on the valve stem. At the LBS a few months ago, I took a look at the pumps they had, mostly Giant and Specialized, and bought the Specialized one. I did get the PRO model, which is way outside your $50 price but they have other almost identical models that sell for $50 (ok, I went for the chrome look, the larger gauge and pressure release valve, and it was on sale). The head is easy to use, and locks with little effort, the dial is easy to read and it pumps up without a lot of effort. I had looked at the Topeaks at another store, but the Specialized ones just felt better. I also like that the base is very stable; my Park falls over if I so much as look at it. The LBS also had replacement hoses and heads; it's good to know that parts to fix it are available.

I ended up buying the replacement head too, and put it on my Park pump, which I now keep in the garage. It was all more than I wanted to spend, but in the end I ended up with two good working pumps. I've struggled with crappy pumps, guess we all have at one point or another, a good one really makes the chore easier.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

We have the Joe Blow Sport and I like it a lot. We also have a Specialized (comp I think), I find the Joe Blow is easier for me to pump. Sometimes on the Specialized I feel like I have to put my whole body into pumping the tires. The one thing I don't like about the Joe Blow is on some valves it seems like I have to take it off and put in on a few times. I think it is has more to do with using a short valve and having somewhat deep rims. Overall I am happy with mine for the price.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Another Joe Blow Sport fan here. I like that it has a dual head, rather than a "smart" head, and that Topeak sells parts to re-build it.

I have the Joe Blow Pro and it's the best floor pump I've ever had. Easy to pump to 110 psi and durable valve head / easy to latch on. It has the "smart" head (one valve fits both presta & schrader). Joe Blow Pro gets my vote.

Thanks everyone. I am considering either the sport or the pro. It looks like the main difference is the dual head vs. the smart head. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one!