Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

December 1 weekend rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will start since I actually got to ride today WOOOT! Ok, so it was only 16 miles, but it WAS 16 miles in shorts, and all I had for a jacket was my convertible windbreaker without the sleeves On December 1!?!?! I will take it! Ok, so I had on my LS wool baselayer, but I didn't have anything over it outside of the sleeveless windbreaker.

The new chamois cream helped, though I still had some saddle problems. I stopped occasionally to give that part of me a break because I was NOT going to go home after 5 miles again due to saddle issues! Who can say when it will be 60 degrees again? It was a great ride By next weekend I will have my saddles swapped out so hopefully the weather will cooperate.

21.9 miles for me. So nice, being out in shorts with no jacket (long sleeve jersey, sleeveless wool baselayer).

I rode about 6-7 miles with a friend from school. She just got her bike, so I had to take it slow for a bit. She did really well, though. I met up with her and her friend half way through their ride, so she did around 12-13 miles total. Nice change of pace. I'm used to riding by myself or with people who are a lot faster than me.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Did a solo 30mile ride today with 10-11mph winds...Ughhh!...painful at times, especially going up hill....but I made it!...and I enjoyed it too!...can't believe it was 60 degrees!!...and tomorrow will be warm as well...it will be windy too but I am looking forward to ride with a small group (maybe 5 people) and go for a 30mile again If the weather permits.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

We've got continuing unseasonably warm weather here in Arizona too. Started at 8:15 am with arm warmers, a wind-breaker, jersey and shorts and spent most of the day just in the jersey and shorts. My DH and I joined a group ride to the zoo with toys for needy kids. Lots of decorated bikes and fun outfits, everyone carries the toys- but the speed was 10-12 mph and I was itching to go faster. It picked up after a while, but I needed more speed and miles so my husband headed home and I rode up Mt. Lemmon to Molino Basin at 4400 feet. Okay, I didn't end up with a big increase in speed for the day with that mountain in the middle, but finished with 55.5 miles. I am at 5408 miles for the year, and thinking that 6000 might still be possible, since I will be on winter break starting Dec 22. Tomorrow will be a shorter and easier ride after a photo shoot with my women's cycling team.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I thought I would be riding today, in the afternoon, but right now there's still black ice everywhere, it's 30 degrees, and the warm up that is coming will be slow. We shall see.
    Yesterday, I saw the client who lives near me on a Saturday, since he has a medical appt. during the week when I usually see him. It was snowing and we went on a 4 mile hike in Estabrook Woods. The session was very productive, so I guess I can say I got paid to hike!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yesterday about 30 miles, today about 20. Trails only.

I did my first group ride today! We went about 25 miles, and I'm happy to say that I wasn't the slowest in the group - I was solidly in the middle.

Normally I'm grumbling about being in shorts in December, but I'm loving it for riding!

We went to and from here:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121202_090137.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	15799
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

I've clocked 30mi this weekend. Not a bad start to December!

31.5 miles done today with a small group of 4 (3 gals including myself and a guy) I was leading the group for the first time. Wind was a PITA the first 10miles. We still had the winds the rest of the ride but it calmed down at times giving us a break. We averaged 15mph so I did better than I expected and I am pretty happy because we had a very good workout with that wind. I still suck on the hills and really need to work on that...I can climb with the granny gears and make it to the top but I get dropped!!!! ... everyone goes faster than me . To keep the pace and with the group going up hill I need to get off the saddle which I noticed works way better for me but I would like to stay on the saddle and keep the group pace . I know I need to lose some more weight but I havent done anything about it lately...I still have about 20-25 more pounds to go to be at my ideal weight. And I know if I wanna get better on the climbs I need to get rid of a significant amount of weight...ughhh!...But at least on the flats I am getting better and better...and I am glad.

Overall had a great ride today!
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 12-02-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

This weekend was a big change for me (not for you experienced types) because I had the new bike computer and actually broke into plural miles after four months of creeping toward breaking one mile. Friday was my first 2 mile + day, nearly all of it on the street (yay for rear-view mirror!) Saturday was another, even a bit longer on the + fraction. Quite warm, windy, both days. Today only a short ride on the land but managed to ride more of the trail I've been working on (and walk the bike less) than before.

The open part of that trail is no problem now--down across the meadow, over the ditch, up the rise to the dry woods. But the dry woods trail itself is narrow and twisty between thick brush, some of it thorny (cactus), and all of it on a slope with varying ground conditions, from grass on dirt to solid rock. At the highest point, there's a rain barn that provides water for a wildlife guzzler. From there, the trail winds on to the property line, turns abruptly, and comes out in to another big grassy area. It's not long, but for me, still getting pedaling, braking, and steering coordinated, it's technically tricky and in places downright scary. Anyway, today I made the downward ride from the rain barn all the way back to the house--which involved the (for me) scariest downslope on a curve to a slab of limestone, up over a little berm, and down to face an immediate turn between some cacti..then more twisty stuff, in denser brush as tall as I am or taller before emerging on the familiar homeward trail.

My goal this week is to ride 2 miles on the street plus some on the land every day. Right now my legs are complaining fairly loudly, but they'll get used to it.

EMoon, that's awesome.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

On Saturday, I rode an easy 35 miles with a friend. On Sunday, I had a strange ride by myself. I live in a hilly area, and in order to really call yourself a hill climber, you have to tackle a certain hill that I had never done. You get extra cred for doing after a gradual 1700' climb. I have done the 1700' climb many times and it was easy on Sunday, so I decided to tag on the short, steep climb. I got nervous and delayed the start after I saw a truck stall out trying to go up. It was slow and I was breathing like a freight train in my easiest gear, but I made it. When I got to the top, rain started pouring down. The hill was too steep and slick to safely descend. I felt like a cat in a tree. After fishtailing one too many times, I veered into a driveway (it was too slick to stand on the pavement) and walked down the hill in rock-lined drainage ditch. That is the first time I have gone up a hill and been unable to make it back down.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by happyscientist View Post
    The hill was too steep and slick to safely descend. I felt like a cat in a tree. After fishtailing one too many times, I veered into a driveway (it was too slick to stand on the pavement) and walked down the hill in rock-lined drainage ditch. That is the first time I have gone up a hill and been unable to make it back down.
    If you couldn't even stand this may not have helped you get down the hill.... but to prevent fishtailing... 1. use mainly to only your front brake *beware* do not ever slam on just your front brake hard - you can go over your handlebars if you do that.... so ease in - go easy and slowly with your braking 2. put your weight as far back as you can get it - push your butt back behind your saddle like mt bikers do. (be in your drops - which I'm hoping/guessing you were)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N