Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddle issues

Saddle issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

Problems in THAT area for two rides in a row now means I can't ignore this any longer. On my last ride a couple of days ago I ascribed the chafing to wearing a medium chamois liner when I KNOW I need a small. Ok, my bad. Today I pulled out my smallest bibs which fit me like a glove so I know that wasn't the problem.

Same problem, I can't seem to ride more than 4-5 miles before the problem starts, and 7 is about all I can tolerate. It isn't sit-bone problems, it is chafing, pain, and just a bit of numbness in my girly bits. It has got to be one of two things - either my chemistry has changed and I need a more moist chamois cream (I use a very dry lube that's been great for the last year), or my saddle is starting to break down and I've got some compression issues.

The chamois cream is easy enough to check out, I will get something from my LBS and see if it takes care of the problem. As far as the saddle, I've been riding a SI LDY Gel Flow since I got this my Gunnar in 2011 and have around 2500 miles on it. It seems to me that I shouldn't have this kind of problem after 1.5 years....especially since I didn't ride so much over this last winter/early spring due to injury. Has anyone else had a saddle start to break down after such a short time?

How many miles does the saddle have on it? They do wear out over time. If it has a cut out, that area in particular might be wearing down. I get about 4-5k out of my Terry saddles.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    How many miles does the saddle have on it? They do wear out over time. If it has a cut out, that area in particular might be wearing down. I get about 4-5k out of my Terry saddles.
    It has about 2,500 miles on it and there is a cutout. That part does seem to be a little hammocky so I compared that area with my mtb saddle (same saddle). The LDY Gel Flow does have a little give in that area, and yes, the saddle on my Gunnar has more give in that area and is softer than the one on my mountain bike. That has to be the problem, though it seems awfully soon for the saddle to start wearing down.

I guess for now I need to switch saddles between the two bikes and decide what to do come spring. I like the saddle, but it isn't cheap and if it is going to start wearing out after only 2,500 miles...

Even if you assume it's the saddle, I'd also try changing the chamois cream, since that's a cheaper fix.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Even if you assume it's the saddle, I'd also try changing the chamois cream, since that's a cheaper fix.
    I will certainly try it, it is a MUCH cheaper fix. It is quite possible my body chemistry in that area has simply changed and a dryer lube just isn't doing it for me any more... Pity though, today was probably the last 60 degree day in some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    A thought that could be cheaper in the long-run. Try a B-68 Imperial (with a cutout). That should fit you well and will last almost indefinitely. Now that you've been riding for a couple of years, it may be you can use less padding. And I'm sure you know they have a 6 month return policy at Wallbikes. Though it does sound like it's worn out. But a Brooks may be an improvement in several areas.
    Hmmm, I've already had this thought. My earlier experience with a Brooks saddle was pretty bad - however it didn't have a cutout AND it was one of the short saddles. Basically the hardware was underneath my girly bits

I will keep this suggestion in mind. It is cheaper than my SI saddle and I like their generous return policy if it doesn't work. I hope a different chamois cream will take care of things - but I am not very hopeful.

Added: Wallbikes site says the B-68 models have been discontinued...

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That's good to know about the B-68 I! Need to get one for myself, then.

How could they do this? Arrgh!
    Wallbikes is out of stock already...but I would have had to have put it off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    It has about 2,500 miles on it and there is a cutout. That part does seem to be a little hammocky so I compared that area with my mtb saddle (same saddle). The LDY Gel Flow does have a little give in that area, and yes, the saddle on my Gunnar has more give in that area and is softer than the one on my mountain bike. That has to be the problem, though it seems awfully soon for the saddle to start wearing down.

I guess for now I need to switch saddles between the two bikes and decide what to do come spring. I like the saddle, but it isn't cheap and if it is going to start wearing out after only 2,500 miles...
    Duh; you indicated how many miles were on the saddle in your first post. I guess I didn't read carefully. Sorry 'bout that. I'd be surprised if the saddle was shot at 2500 miles. That's a bit premature. Try a different cream. I'm otherwise stumped as to the sudden onset of this problem.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It could also just be your "dimensions" have changed with your recent weight loss. Your, ahem, parts may just be in a different place in relation to the saddle. Try the different chamois cream, and, maybe get some smaller (or different) shorts.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It could also just be your "dimensions" have changed with your recent weight loss. Your, ahem, parts may just be in a different place in relation to the saddle. Try the different chamois cream, and, maybe get some smaller (or different) shorts.
    hmmmm, I hadn't thought about this and that makes sense. The bibs I wore yesterday are the smallest that PI makes. I've still a bit of an apple shape so even if there are smaller shorts out there I doubt I could wear them. The Terry shorts liner I wore the other day are just too large (medium)- and they have a thinner chamois than the PI 3D. Hopefully a different cream will take care of it, shorts are expensive and I don't have the budget for experimentation.

Weight loss is DEFINITELY a possibility.

But I still think saddle wear is a potential culprit. The one thing I really don't like about my Turbomatic is that it started showing signs of compression within 500 miles. Not nearly enough to make it uncomfortable for me, but creases in the cover were already visible. With my lack of seat time this summer it's only got 2100 miles on it now, but I can definitely see the possibility that it might be worn out within another 1000. If the fit were more marginal to begin with, then a saddle could become uncomfortable with less wear.

Hoping it's something less expensive though. And that you get it sorted soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It could be the original saddle fit was more marginal than I realized - which would mean it wouldn't take much of a change to cause a problem. I really hope a different cream will take care of things for now, time will tell. Thanks for all of the ideas!

How long ago was your last Brooks trial?
    You've probably increased fitness significantly since then.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    How long ago was your last Brooks trial?
    You've probably increased fitness significantly since then.
    It has been close to two years since that experiment, and my fitness is certainly increased since then - especially my core and leg strength. hmmmm I might go this route again if the new cream doesn't take care of things. Hopefully I won't have to, as I remember my search last time for the right saddle was lengthy and expensive.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Gel saddles are known for the gel shifting and rubbing in new places. Does your LBS have a test ride policy? Also, check to make sure the nose of your saddle hasn't nudged upward. Only a couple degrees can create pain very quickly.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony