Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need more advise on components, etc..

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies,
    Further into my bike testing, I sort of know what bike I am getting, now the question is about components, etc. These are the choices that I'm contemplating.

SRAM Force Compact 11-26 10s with Mavic Ksyrium Equippe vs Ultegra Compact 11-28 10s with Mavic Aksium. The Ultegra is $300 more than the SRAM Force.

I did test ride both of them for about 5km. I am used to the Shimano so Ultegra is easy for me and I like its smoothness in shifting as well. The SRAM concept is new to me. I like the double tapping mechanism and for some reason the brake levers fit my small hands better. The one thing that I noticed was it's a bit noisier than the ultegra when shifting gears. Does the noise go away after awhile?

For me, it looks like the SRAM + Ksyrium is a better deal than the Ultegra+Aksium. I just want to hear some feedback from some people that have used both, if they can share some of the pros n cons. In term of gearing, would I miss alot in 11-26 vs 11-28? Just a background, currenty I have a triple with 12-25.

Thanks for reading..

Go with SRAM Force. I would (I have Ultegra). You can replace the cassette when you purchase or later on --SRAM also has an 11-28 casssette -- and even put in their WiFli rear derailleur to use a 12-32 cassette. Plus, Force is lighter than Ultegra and the wheels are definitely an upgrade. Whether you miss the triple depends on the area where you ride and the type of triple you had (I switched from an 8 speed triple with a 12-23 to the compact w/ an 11-28 and, as a result, my lowest gear in the compact was lower than in the triple).