Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How do I know how wide my tires can be?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd like to put slightly wider tire on my bike. The current ones are 25. I know it depends on the rims, the brake and frame clearance. Anything else? Is there a way to know, or do I have to just take the bike to a shop and let them decide?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    I'd like to put slightly wider tire on my bike. The current ones are 25. I know it depends on the rims, the brake and frame clearance. Anything else? Is there a way to know, or do I have to just take the bike to a shop and let them decide?

What kind of bike do you ride? Most road bikes don't have the clearance for 28 mm in either the brakes or the forks. Cyclocross and touring bikes tend to have the clearance though.

Why do you want wider tires? It might be that a different tire of the same dimensions suit your needs, and they would cost a lot less than new rims. Take it into the LBS and get their opinion. They don't get to decide, though. It is your bike.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

I was just thinking I'd like make it more of a utility bike. Maybe just a deeper tread? Maybe I need a lesson in tires. It's funny, I've been riding for almost 40 years and I'm just now learning how much I don't know. Or maybe there's just more to know now.

You could always take the tires back if they're a little too big. As long as you don't actually ride anywhere on them. Frame clearance is the big one, but if your rims are really narrow you might be limited as well.
    Queen of the sea beasts

For determining what size tire can fit on your particular rim, there is a chart about half way down this page: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

It is harder to tell what you might have clearance for on your bike. For example, my hybrid rims can accept tires as wide as 44cm and those tires actually will clear the frame if you sit and spin the tires. However, the tires actually rubbed on my front fork, probably when turning, wearing off the paint.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

here is another nice diagram from Schwalbe What tires will fit my frame They have some great FAQ's on their site. Again, what is the bike, many TE members will be able to help once you tell us the frame make and model
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Thanks for all the charts and info. It's a Specialized Sirrus Elite. It's about 7 years old and at the time it was marketed as a road bike. I don't know if the newer models are the same. I recently bought a Cannondale Synapse (how would you pronounce that?) that I thought would be my new road bike, and I would use my Sirrus as my all-around bike. Now I'm having some doubts and second thoughts about my Cannondale, so I'm not going to do anything with the Sirrus until the spring, when I get things sorted out.

That would be sin apps :-) (It's a connection; in biology, the connection between two nerve cells where messages get passed down)

Thank you. Would the accent be on the first or second syllable - or maybe somewhat equal?