Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

60+ minutes of exercise per day to maintain weight after age 50

To disable ads, please log-in.

This just in:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...intain-weight/.

It makes sense and I believe it. I'm going to have to pick up the activity level as I've already gained a little weight since moving to Belize, where I haven't been as active as I was in the US for a variety of reasons (heat, humidity, boredom with the limited options available, no road cycling, no gym access, etc.) When I move back to the US next year I plan to rectify the situation.

It would be hard to get the hour daily for those working full-time or more than full-time, at least every single day.

Comments/discussion?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Without reading the article , most of these studies consider any activity to be "exercise." So medium to heavy housework, gardening, walking one's commute, etc., would all count toward the hour.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

"The most active group of women spent the equivalent of 420 minutes a week (60 minutes a day) or more engaged in moderate-intensity physical activity."

I did read the article and the primary reported measurement was a total duration over a week which coincidentally could be achieved at 60 mins/day. Frankly, a blanket 60 mins a day seems weird since you need to vary your workout activities. 60 mins a day for me would be complete burnout but I easily out do 420 mins/week.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

No comment on what kind of diet these people eat? I"m fifty two and am maintaining weight just fine but then again I'm super mindful about not eating too much and not eating crap.( without 420/wk or 60/day)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    No comment on what kind of diet these people eat? I"m fifty two and am maintaining weight just fine but then again I'm super mindful about not eating too much and not eating crap.( without 420/wk or 60/day)
    Agreed -- and I am 62.

They do say it needs to be moderate-level activity (brisk walking or more). My impression was housework would NOT be considered to be enough. Basically, this study debunks the earlier recommendations of 30 minutes 5x a week was enough to maintain weight without cutting calories. This study says, nope, that's not enough, at least for women 50+. They found that for people who got less than the equivalent of an hour a day of moderate exercise, calorie cutting was required to maintain BMI.

I do agree that the 60 minutes doesn't necessarily have to be *every* day, but I'd think that being a slug 6x a week and then blowing it out on one huge weekend event might not do it either.

When I was living in the US, I maintained my weight within a 2 lb. range for 10 years while working full-time, but I did get moderate to high physical activity for 60 minutes most days (gym + walks + running), plus 2-3 hours usually once a week (long bike ride with hills or long hilly hike). Now I'm getting a little less than that except when we travel and do a lot of hiking, and I've gained about 4 lbs. We live on a flat beach, and it's hard to get the intensity needed to burn the calories. Running does it, but between the heat and humidity, I've found it hard to keep up with that. I do yoga 2x a week for 90 minutes each time, but it's fairly low intensity overall.

I'm sure it's not true for every woman -- some are natural ectomorphs and can maintain on less activity; some may need more. This is also not talking about people who are trying to lose weight, just women of normal weight who are attempting to maintain at age 50+. For me it seems to be pretty accurate.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

AACK- That's pretty depressing. While I'm not yet considered middle age, I can't imagine having the time to do 60 minutes a day. That may change when my child and job responsibilities decrease but for now, 30 minutes a day is what I aim for and I don't even know if you would consider what I do "moderate"!

I find this to be true, in that I need to exercise 5-6 days a week. I might not do an hour on a couple of those days, but what I do on those days is intense, i.e. 40 minutes of riding, which includes 2 hills with +10% grades. I do an hour boot camp 2 days a week, ride 4 days a week during the season. Right now I am riding outside 2 days a week, doing some hiking and/or fitness walking in addition to boot camp. When the snow comes I replace the outdoor riding with snow shoeing, x country skiing, spin class or the trainer. I usually do some running, too. However, I need to take one full day off and do one day of easy stuff; a light walk or yoga.
    I know I can never stop exercising. I've been working out 5-7 days a week since I was 25 years old and it's paid off, because at 59, I weigh about the same as I did in high school. When I did less, I gained weight. But, I do eat very clean compared to a lot of people. As the years go by, I can eat less and less carbs. While I do go out a lot, I generally try to stay somewhat healthy with the eating, even in restaurants.
    There's no magic pill. It's hard work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I keep reading that, in the end, diet matters far more than exercise for weight loss...but of course we are talking about maintenance once we get to our target weight. If our diet isn't right then we can kill ourselves every day without receiving the full benefit, and they aren't presenting the full picture in such articles/study when they don't examine the diets of the participants.

As for me - I will never be able to stop exercising and eating very clean- and I am fine with that. It's paid off and I am not about to stop now - and the older I get the more important it will be to keep my body limber and flexible.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'll be reading the article when I have time later today.

But for an initial response: For myself, 60 minutes in total in 1 day, nearly daily does manage my current healthy weight. When it's half the amount of exercise weekly and I don't cut back on calories, then I do gain weight.

So how can one do this: bike commute to work /groceries --at the very least for me. Plus add on at least 3-4 more hours of cycling on weekends.

Yea, if I really thought about the effort, it would be slightly discouraging....except we all love cycling don't we?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Eliminating white foods (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, mostly) has really helped me, but I'm not 50 yet. Incorporating exercise into your day will help--not by driving to the gym for an hour, but by making the whole day active either by walking or cycling for transportation, also seems to help me maintain an even keel. I've drawn a 5-mile circle on a map with my house in the center. The idea is to ride my bike to destinations in that circle instead of driving my car. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting better.

I walk around (and run around, and jump around too sometimes) at work, and I believe that that helps. A couple years ago I wore a pedometer and I hit 10,000 steps every day that there were kids at school. It would be a different story if I had a sedentary job.

Then there are days or phases when I eat a bunch of crap and I just feel kind of lousy.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I wish that the study did not focus just on middle-aged folks... people in their late 20's onward aren't normally slim like they were as the norm, 30 years ago. Witness the cut and style of women's clothing now compared to back then.

Good habits start before hitting your late 40's and upward. While it's true that for many women in perimenopause and menopause, metabolism may slow down a tad without exercise and diet changes, it should be an alert for younger women who need to make changes now before mid-life.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Ever read the book Younger Next Year (or Younger Next Year for Women) ? Although the title is kind of off-putting (no, it's not about getting plastic surgery or looking like a kid again!), it has lots of very sound advice. The main message of this book is that people in their 50's and beyond really need to exercise 6 days a week for the rest of their lives, four days of which should be aerobic exercise. It's not about maintaining/losing weight, it's about maintaining muscle tone, balance, cognitive function and helping to slow down the inevitable biological decay that accompanies aging. Although the authors acknowledge that people who get off their butts and start exercising are apt to lose weight as well, especially if they also stop eating crap food.

I'm not going to delve into the hows & whys here. The book is available in some libraries, the Amazon site has a fairly lengthy preview of the book, and if you have a Kindle you could download a free sample. I recommend it, it's a good read IMHO.
    Last edited by jobob; 11-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Inquiring minds want to know why there is a men's and women's version. Which did you read?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/youn...re=allproducts

Another inquiring mind question: What is the Serotta Solution? Spill the beans at least a little.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.