Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shop recommendations in Maryland

To disable ads, please log-in.

H'llo, strangers, long-time/no-post. Question for y'all-- My apartment was broken into this past weekend and my bike was stolen, so I'm in the market for a new 'cross bike. Been a looooooooooong time since I've shopped for a new bike, does anyone have any recommendations of shops here in MD? Proteus is on my list, as well as Baltimore Bicycle Works and possibly Joe's Bike Shop in B'more. There are a couple of shops in Frederick that I prefer not to go to because I've had service issues with them in the past. What other shops are out there that I might not know about?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Hey there stranger!!

Sorry to hear about your break-in. That majorly sucks. I hope nothing else was stolen, but I'm sure your sense of security is rattled.
    This shop did a lot at a 'cross race I was at recently and likely stocks 'cross bikes you'd be interested in: http://familybikeshop.com/
    They're in Crofton, pretty far afield for you, but you seem to relish the day trips! These guys seemed pretty cool.
    My LBS doesn't generally stock 'cross, as he finds he can't sell them in his locale (the fact that I just ordered one from him notwithstanding).

These guys sponsored my first race in Hyattsville. They may also be worth checking out: http://arrowbicycle.com/

Good luck. Hoping you find a great bike and great peace.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't know any shops to recommend , just wanted to say hi and sorry about the break-in!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

^^ Thanks

Thanks for the tips, 7. Like you said, Crofton's not too far for a day-trip so I'll keep 'em in mind.

I think the thief/thieves had seen my bike through the window of my apartment and that it was their target. They broke in through the bedroom window and snagged the bike, my cordless drill, and my point'n'shoot camera from the living room. Either before or after hitting the living room, they wiped out almost all of my jewelry, which was on top of my dresser and in the closet. Considering that I wear pretty much nothing but silver jewelry, the bike was definitely the single most valuable thing they took. I think the new one's gonna end up residing in my bedroom, where the curtains are kept closed all day.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

I read about your break in on FB. Sucks!

I like All American Bikes in Damascus.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Bummer about the break in. You already mentioned Proteus, but I'll just put in another plug for them. I haven't been there since I moved away from the area a few years ago, but they used to have great bikes and wonderful service. There are quite a few new shops in DC that I have not checked out but hope to next time I go up there. Not sure if you want to venture into the District, though.

I was about to recommend All American, but I was beat to the punch. I think that is where I'm going to get my replacement for my crashed bike. One of my employees races out of that shop and really likes them too. A co-worker's husband recommended a shop to me, but when he said it was in Waldorf I sort of tuned out. But I can ask again if that isn't too far. Proteus has a new owner, but I still like them and they still are very nice and informed and great to work with.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Thanks again, y'all, I'll add All American to my list. Just looked at the 2012 Tri-Cross Sport at Specialized's site (I had a 2006 of the same model) and really like it. They've upgraded from canti brakes to disc, though. Anyone have any familiarity with disc brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Thanks again, y'all, I'll add All American to my list. Just looked at the 2012 Tri-Cross Sport at Specialized's site (I had a 2006 of the same model) and really like it. They've upgraded from canti brakes to disc, though. Anyone have any familiarity with disc brakes?
    I just bought a Raleigh RX 2.0 cross bike with disc brakes. I haven't really yet ridden my own yet (!), but this same bike, I demo'd at DCCX in October. It was fabulous. Loved the disc brakes. Made me totally want a 'cross bike with discs after that race. Family Bike Shop has those Raleighs (I ordered mine from Mike at the Bicycle Place, just cuz he's my shop, my friend, and a Raleigh dealer - but he didn't have any in stock). Honestly, for the price of the '12 Specialized Sport, for another $150 (MSRP and likely erasable with some sweet negotiating), the 2013 Raleigh is spec'ed much better than the Specialized. Both have aluminum frame, alloy fork, and BB5's, but the Raleigh is a 10-speed with 105 components vs. the 9-spd Sora (bottom of the heap stuff that was on the Motobecane I just sold). Only thing with the Raleighs, is this year, they have a fantastic lineup and they're selling like hot cakes. The "Look at me Green" 1.0's are already sold out (I'm told but maybe not - could just be b.s.), but you may be able to find a '12 1.0 floating around.
    Last edited by 7rider; 11-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Yeah, in looking again at the TriCross, I think I would go with the next model up that has 105 components. I had upgraded my stolen TriCross from Sora to 105 just this past spring, dammit.

Problem with the Raleigh is the size (and the colors, ick!)-- Their smallest is a 50cm. The stolen TriCross was a 49cm and needed fit modifications. There's now a 46cm TriCross that could alleviate my size issues. If, of course, I can find a shop that has one in that size for me to test ride.

Or I may look again at the Surly Cross-Check or Jamis. Got a whole bunch of cold months ahead in which to do research!

So sorry to hear about the break-in ... when something like that occurs you feel so violated.

Last night I saw on Craigslist that Falls Church Bike Club is selling a Surly Cross Check for $899. It's a 50 cm, light blue/pale green in color - t'was a beauty and a good price, I think, for a brand new Cross Check. Don't know if the 50 cm is too large for you though.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Thanks, Kathy. That's a darned good price, but 50cm might be pushing it. I considered a Cross Check a couple years ago and talked about it with the guy who fit my Specialized. He said the head tube measurements might give me trouble. But, I see that Surly now has a 46cm size, too. Glad to see these bike brands are realizing some of us are shrimpy. Now if the bike shops would just stock those sizes...

So much for shopping around. My heart apparently still belongs to the TriCross because I put a down payment on the order of a 2013 model in 46cm. Went to a new shop up in Baltimore (I know one of their guys from another B'more shop) and they let me test out a Crux (Specialized's 'cross race bike) in that size and the difference in how it made my shoulders feel was immediately noticeable. So, same bike that I know I love in a size that will apparently be much more comfortable. And, because these things matter to me, just look at that color...

And the insurance company is covering the Ultegra components that I had installed on the old bike, so this one will end up with a similar upgrade.

Is it spring yet...?

Well....we won't lose ya when we go for rides!
    Glad to see you got a bike - and a bike that will fit. Always a good combo.
    Why wait 'til Spring? 'cross bikes excel in the snotty of winter.
    Congrats.

The bike might excel in winter, but I don't