Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

fancy shoes and missing toenails

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I have a little fashion dilemma. I have a dress for my company holiday party and no budget to buy MORE shoes, especially since I own a pair of shoes that match perfectly. Unfortunately, they're open-toed. I have one fraction of a toenail on my left foot and 3 full and 2 half toenails on my right (this is due to running and the fact that I can't find shoes I like that are tight enough in the arches to run downhill without sliding). So, I can imagine that the 3 partial-toenails will grow a smidgen in the 3 weeks til the party, but not enough to look normal! Plus the non-missing ones are disgusting and I need to at least paint those. So - paint all of them (or what's left of them)? Just paint the full ones? Paint the skin on the missing ones? Wear nude hose with the open-toed shoes so you can't really see my toenails? (I'm not a fan of that option - especially since the half-nails are very, very sharp - but my mom seems to think it's ok). I will say, at least I'm not missing either of the big toenails, just the middle one on each foot and the 4th one on the right.

I'm thinking of doing sort of an opal-ish color on the ones that are full and just ignoring the missing ones.

Also, the dress is cream with gold and silver accents, so I don't see opaque tights as being an option (unfortunately).

Thanks all! It's tough to turn this tomboy into a princess.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I would try painting the partial toenails and the skin beyond the nails. I'll bet no one will notice if you have similar shapes painted at the ends of each toe.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Could you use stick on fake fingernails cut down to a more appropriate size?

Ummm scratch that...... Apparently you can simply purchase ready made fake toenails......(at Walgreens even)
    Last edited by Eden; 11-17-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I would try painting the partial toenails and the skin beyond the nails. I'll bet no one will notice if you have similar shapes painted at the ends of each toe.
    I have done this when I was missing one and I'm fairly certain nobody noticed, as much a I knew it was (not)there I doubt too many people were critically looking at my feet.

I would avoid putting your feet on the table and/or playing twister. But I'd probably avoid that even with a full cohort of toenails

I'm not sure I'd stick a fake nail onto a bare nail bed. Or paint it, for that matter, if you hope to keep it healthy for the new nail to grow out.

I'd go with reinforced toe pantyhose, personally. (And I envy your ability to even consider going anywhere "fancy" without hose, toenails aside. Not an option with my legs!)

Ouch.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'm not sure I'd stick a fake nail onto a bare nail bed. Or paint it, for that matter, if you hope to keep it healthy for the new nail to grow out.
    I was figuring if she got the stick in kind (as opposed to the glue on ones) that they probably could be removed when the night was through?
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

fancy shoes and missing toenails

I have been in this exact situation, years ago when I first started running and for some reason was getting a lot of bruised/lost toenails. Take a small piece of white first aid tape, cut it in the shape of a toenail, and stick it on where your toenail is missing. Then paint it as you would a normal nail. No one will know the difference, and you can peel it off when you get home. Be forewarned that polish does not last as long on first aid tape as it would on your nail, but you should be able to get a day or two out of it without chips. Also, remember that when chips do occur, the base color is stark white - so it's best to avoid very dark polish colors. But it should get you through the night without any danger to your growing nails or nail beds.

This is brilliant! And actually, thinking on it, I have a few scraps of nude-colored kinesio tape around somewhere that aren't enough to use for support. I bet it should work just as well (or I could even tape all the way around the toe and then paint on the toenail). I knew TE would have the answer!

The idea of fake toenails is fascinating...and disgusting. I should probably check those out too, though. I have a small amount of nail growing in on all of them, so there could be enough nail to attach a fake one. I just can't believe there's a large enough market that someone overcame the "ick" factor and created those.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloVT View Post
    I have been in this exact situation, years ago when I first started running and for some reason was getting a lot of bruised/lost toenails. Take a small piece of white first aid tape, cut it in the shape of a toenail, and stick it on where your toenail is missing. Then paint it as you would a normal nail. No one will know the difference, and you can peel it off when you get home. Be forewarned that polish does not last as long on first aid tape as it would on your nail, but you should be able to get a day or two out of it without chips. Also, remember that when chips do occur, the base color is stark white - so it's best to avoid very dark polish colors. But it should get you through the night without any danger to your growing nails or nail beds.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I have a "funky" toenail since it never grew back right...I always keep it painted and go a little heavy so at first some of my toe is painted. I have also painted the nail bed (before toenail grew in). It did ok. No one seems to notice if they don't get their face down to your toes. Thank goodness for nail polish! I wore it all the time before I started running and it is a must to make toes (toe nails) presentable now!

K
    katluvr

I had a damaged big toe nail which over half the nail came off. I went to the acrylic nail store and they attached a fake nail, shaped it and painted it with acrylic. A month or so later it actually dropped off by itself and the nail had grown in nicely. So no, it doesn't damage your nails. They only cut your nails short to make it easier to remove the acrylics when soaking them in the solvent (I also had acrylics on my hands for a few years and finally had the removed due to not being employed and I couldn't afford it anymore).

Band-aids to cover the missing nails, and if anyone asks, the cats decided to play "hunt the toes" a little too roughly?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have no advice, I just wanna say: I LOVE this board for the fact that things like this come up.

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    I have no advice, I just wanna say: I LOVE this board for the fact that things like this come up.

-- gnat!
    Ditto! I don't think there's any off the wall question that can't be answered here!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow