Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Still looking for n+1

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm still in the process of deciding on my next road bike. I have some options, but the one LBS I have been talking with doesn't have anything definitive yet, as supply in my size is an issue. In the November issue of Bicycling magazine, there was an article about the Wilier Cento 1 as a complete bike with Campy Chorus 11. I was already leaning toward Wilier and that decided it. I was ready to pull the trigger. Nope. Not possible. Long story, short - Wilier is NOT offering that bike complete at all. The article was wrong. Doesn't look like they could even get the frameset in my size to build up for me. That's frustrating that a magazine would have a COVER STORY that is wrong. So, still looking, but thankfully, I have all winter. Considering a Pinarello Prince at this point. Any thoughts on this process? I'm a little frustrated.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

The LBS fellow that did my sizing session was talking about the Prince being the option for my size needs. He took my bike measurements and we were looking for something close.

Looks like small would be my size in the Wilier. Not sure on the Pinarello as it was just mentioned as an alternative.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

He probably said Paris and with all of the reading I've been doing, just had Prince in my brain. So, I'm sure you're right that it was the Paris, as we're looking at 2013 frames. The LBS is going to build up the frameset for me with Campy Chorus 11. That's kind of my "must have". Too many years riding Campagnolo and the bikes I've test ridden with Shimano or SRAM - I just don't like the shifting. It's really about personal preference because they are all good gruppos. I was excited to see Wilier was coming out with a complete bike with Campy Chorus 11 because price-wise it was significantly lower than building up from the frameset. But it's not going to be offered, so I'm back to building up from the frameset. Right now I'm looking at full Campy Chorus and Fulcrum wheels. Mavic is also an option, but we're close to the upper end of my self-imposed budget. He did say that we can't get exact geometry as my Klein because they just don't make frames that aggressive anymore - short wheelbase, short headtube, rake of the fork, very stiff in the bb, etc. Everything I've ridden has been much more relaxed, even those that are racy geometry and just material alone makes it a softer ride than aluminum. I think I'm heading in the right direction, but still have a lot to learn about carbon bikes and what's available. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone within a few hours that carries Orbea. Right now the options are Wilier, Pinarello, Scott, Ridley, Bianchi, and Eddy Merckx. Surely I'll find something in my price range among those. Thanks for the info... I'll have to read up on the "cloth" you are talking about because that's new to me.

Thank you for the links. Very informative. When it comes to stiffness, aggressiveness, etc., I'm simply too old (and not racing anyone) for those pissing matches at 42 years of age.... but I'm still looking for a fast, but comfy ride. The LBS knows this and I trust that they know what they are doing. I'll be sure to post pictures of the final decision.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Thank you for the links. Very informative. When it comes to stiffness, aggressiveness, etc., I'm simply too old (and not racing anyone) for those pissing matches at 42 years of age.... but I'm still looking for a fast, but comfy ride. The LBS knows this and I trust that they know what they are doing. I'll be sure to post pictures of the final decision.
    Have you considered titanium? Personally, I'd get a ti bike before a carbon any day.