Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've called my dentist and am seeing them Wednesday morning about this after determining my insurance will cover the exam and any possible x-rays. Hopefully they will have an idea, my next step will be my OD if they can't solve it.

I saw my dentist today and she didn't even bother to take an x-ray after checking my mouth out. Apparently my symptoms are classic for clenching or grinding, and she thinks the whiplash altered my alignment just a bit - just enough to cause a problem. I've a significant overbite and she is actually surprised that it never occurred prior to my injury. Anyway, she recommends I try the inexpensive mouth-guard version from the store and if that causes a problem we will discuss a true custom hard version.

Apparently this can present with either muscular problems, dental pain, or both. In my case it is purely dental, I don't know if that is a blessing or not... Anyway, at least I now know what is going on, and that is a relief.

Catrin, a couple of years ago I was having neck, jaw, and headache pain. I ended up going to a MacKenzie PT, who "cured" me. I did most of the work at home, with exercises she gave me.
    I have developed a case of this again, from my stupid accident a couple of weeks ago. I definitely had symptoms of whiplash on the opposite side of my body, so I started doing the exercises again and it is much better. It was bad enough that it interfered a bit when riding, so I had to put a stop to it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, a couple of years ago I was having neck, jaw, and headache pain. I ended up going to a MacKenzie PT, who "cured" me. I did most of the work at home, with exercises she gave me.
    I have developed a case of this again, from my stupid accident a couple of weeks ago. I definitely had symptoms of whiplash on the opposite side of my body, so I started doing the exercises again and it is much better. It was bad enough that it interfered a bit when riding, so I had to put a stop to it.
    Sorry to hear that you tweaked your whiplash, decidedly un-fun I still do my exercises from time to time when I get neck pain - the headaches have been gone since I get the injections last December. The scalenes on my right side STILL get tight and painful...

Apparently the teeth clenching is due to the initial whiplash injury changing my bite just a tiny bit - but enough. Between that and my overbite my rear teeth are, apparently, now in perfect alignment for clenching/grinding when I am under stress. Nothing can be done for the alignment problem outside of braces - and I am not going there. So, I guess it is finally time for me to learn more relaxation techniques before bed and to try out one of those soft guards. Apparently it is only when I am sleeping when I clench hard enough to cause the problem...
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-22-2012 at 04:55 AM.

I seem to go through periods of clenching, but it hasn't happened in a long time. I did have Invisalign (second time for braces) in 2005-07, so I think my bite is much better now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I seem to go through periods of clenching, but it hasn't happened in a long time. I did have Invisalign (second time for braces) in 2005-07, so I think my bite is much better now.
    Glad to hear it worked for you! Thankfully this has only happened 3 times in the last year, so I have pretty good hopes that learning more robust relaxation techniques will go far to help me. I am only aware of doing it while awake for a couple of days after a night-time event. Apparently the clenching is bad enough to aggravate all of the nerves in that portion of my mouth which is why touching my teeth when it wakes me up increases the intensity of the pain so much. Ugh.

I've had dentists over the years insist that I really need braces, and I do, but it is just too expensive and I've read/heard of too many experiences that other 50+ year old people have had with the process. I can still eat and that is what matters...

I am currently undergoing treatment for this with my dentist. I grind my teeth because I'm too high strung. It stopped when I got my divorce but recently started up again. I broke 2 filings and had to have 1 tooth capped. I've never had a neck injury.

One dentist suggested that because of my severe sinus/allergies was part of the cause, he said not all of it.

I have a night guard. It is me, I do worry and don't show it, so I grind my teeth. Sometimes during they day I find myself doing it too.

You are not alone, hope you find a good solution.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I grind my teeth while I sleep, too. I use a night guard, which I've had for over six years and it's still fine. The dentist just checked it this week. When I do yoga or meditate regularly, I find that I grind less. Looks like it's time to make that a habit again.