Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Fun of a different kind!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Our workout this morning, after the warmup, started with bear crawls, crab crawls, and seal drag... The first two are hard enough - but that last one was just plain awful in a strange fun sort of way. (seal drag = lying full length on the floor with feet on sliders. Drag body for prescribed distance with no help from legs) This was the first time for the seal drag and, considering my upper body strength, there is little surprise that I did very poorly at it. I did, however, do it

I have done those and I hate them. My gym is so cheap, we use paper plates!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I have done those and I hate them. My gym is so cheap, we use paper plates!
    In the long run the paper plates are more expensive. My gym uses furniture sliders that they purchased at a big box store (don't know which one) quite inexpensively. Perhaps you could make the suggestion? There doesn't need to be that many sets of them.

On a hard floor like most gyms have, you can use sweat towels. If it's carpeted, frisbees.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The instructors have tried... they reuse the paper plates until they fall apart.
    Not too many of the instructors use them, needless to say.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I just grab a stack of sweat towels out of the cardio machine area, if they haven't stocked the group fitness studio with enough to use as sliders.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This morning we did the following as part of our group training:

Frog jumps
    med-ball clean and toss
    kettlebell swings

First round is 21 times for each activity. For each following round decrease the reps by 3, the final round is 3 reps.

Fun! I was the last one to finish but that no longer troubles me as much as it once did. The two strongest women got to do their final 3 med-ball clean and toss with 50 pound med-balls - I wasn't one of them fortunately. They did it though

Good luck to them.
    My class was so hard this morning, I seriously questioned my sanity. One woman's college aged daughter came with her. I give her credit; she did pretty well, as opposed to other "guests" to this class.
    I've never done so many frog jumps and mountain climbers in my life.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Frog Jumps sound like something I would have to skip. In our current cross fit rotation there are 3 exercises I can't do as they are to hard on the knee, so I substitute with mountain climbers, by the end of the workout I am questioning my sanity. This is the last week though and then onto something new, which is why I am having so much fun, I love changing it up
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Frog Jumps sound like something I would have to skip. In our current cross fit rotation there are 3 exercises I can't do as they are to hard on the knee, so I substitute with mountain climbers, by the end of the workout I am questioning my sanity. This is the last week though and then onto something new, which is why I am having so much fun, I love changing it up
    Yes, that is part of the fun, everything changes so often! We did a different version of mountain climbers today - one partner is in a traditional forearm-plank position, the other partner does 20 mountain climbers with hands on the plank-partners shoulders/upper back. That actually felt pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Good luck to them.
    My class was so hard this morning, I seriously questioned my sanity. One woman's college aged daughter came with her. I give her credit; she did pretty well, as opposed to other "guests" to this class.
    I've never done so many frog jumps and mountain climbers in my life.
    It sounds like our trainers were on the same wave-length! Perhaps this is their way of helping us prepare for the holiday break? My body will get a full week's break - though I've some simple body weight things that I will do over the holiday week. I also have a fitness game our trainer gave us for when we are watching football. It really should only be during one quarter - if this thing happens then do that sort of thing.

This morning, after an extensive warm-up that featured the Bosu, we did the following metabolic acceleration work:

Ten rounds: each round starts with 20 kettlebell swings (200 swings in all, I used a ~40 lb KB)

The following exercises then descend by one each round, starting with 10 for each (10 down to 1):

kettlebell goblet squats
    pullups (or TRX racked rows)
    BOSU platform pushups

(then back to 20 kettlebell swings and so forth)

We then did a monster rope finisher - fun!

Sounds like a great challenge Catrin! Glad to hear that your classes are going well!!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Sounds like a great challenge Catrin! Glad to hear that your classes are going well!!
    Now I just wish I could ride outside, but that will come I am just really resistant right now to even the idea of riding inside...but I am going to make myself try a Les Mills RPM class at 6am tomorrow since my normal training schedule is a bit different this week. I AM thankful that my shoulder problem appears to only impact over-the head lifting, and for that I am thankful!

Sounds like you have a great idea of what you NEED to do!! Being off the bike will simply make you appreciate it more AND all of your work in the gym will help you on the bike!!

Keep up the good work and great outlook!