Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Ergonomics of Biking Shoes

To disable ads, please log-in.

As of late, I switched to my Sidi mtn bike shoes. Did this for about two months. I just went back to my Specialized Pro Carbon shoes. I noticed immediately that although the cleats are placed at the lowest point on both shoes that the cleat sits lower on the specialized shoe. I also noticed how less squished my feet are in the Specilaized shoe, and I have normal feet, not wide or real narrow.

Specialized touts the ergonomics of their shoes and that they position the feet better and align better. Perhaps a marketing ploy.

I tried a Bontrager mtn bike shoe on the other day, and it is a nice shoe with a similar fit to the Specialized shoe. If you have not seen Specilaized new S Works mtn bike shoe for women with the BOA system, have a look. I am still not sold on the benefit of a carbon shoe to stop hot spots, so that's a lot of dollars to shell out. I wish they made one with their basic sole and the new BOA clinching system.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

My opinion? It's easier for most people to get away with ill-fitting cycling shoes than it is to get away with ill-fitting running shoes, but that doesn't mean fit isn't important.

My feet are super wide, but I sure do hear a lot of people complaining about most brands of cycling shoes running narrow. I wore Specialized for a long time - even though they were really too narrow for me, they do have a nice square toe box that's more likely to fit actual human feet.

Are they importing Lakes into the USA again?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I also have wide feet and used to wear Specialized in the men's versions for extra width in the toe box. Not something I could do in running shoes or my heels would slip out (less of an issue in a cycling shoe, I think - to Oak's point).

After my foot surgery, even my Specialized shoes were too narrow on my right foot causing instant pain. I ordered a pair of Northwave's from amazon (the pair I found that had the most reviews mentioning a wide toe box!) and they work pretty well.

I am waiting for the day when cycling shoe companies join the growing trend in running shoes by making ergonomically correct shoes! Who has pointed toes??
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I started with Northwave MTB shoes on my road bike because they fit my wide feet. I feel like a poseur wearing MTB shoes, so I spent months looking for new ones. I really don't like the tongue on Sidis, and those are the main shoes around here. Last week I picked up some men's Specialized Pro Carbon for half price because they fit, matched my bike, and were half-price. I haven't gotten the new pedals and cleats for them yet, though.

I saw that Speed-play makes a pedal that is supposed to be easier release than their regular ones, which I have heard can be hard to get out of. Has anyone tried them?
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

Gals,

What defines a wide foot width?
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

If there's any bright line I'm not aware of it. In my case it's not exactly ambiguous. The last pair of running shoes I bought was men's EEEE and I still had to buy a half to a full size too long to get them wide enough that they don't aggravate my ingrown toenails or tailor's bunion. Just buy what fits and don't worry about the letters and numbers on the box!

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    Gals,

What defines a wide foot width?
    I don't think mine are as wide as Oakleaf's, but I would say your feet are wide if you have a hard time finding shoes that fit in a typical store.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

When you have your foot measured on one of those shoe store devices they can tell you what width your foot is...though it's just a guideline. Foot volume is a factor, too, and those devices won't tell you anything about that.

I could not wear women's Sidis. And men's or megas may have been wide enough, but I found the heels on Sidis to be too roomy (I have duck feet). I currently wear men's LG road and mountain shoes and they are still none too wide, even with ample extra room through the toes. A women's wide is a D, same as a men's standard width shoe.

With running shoes it's simply a matter of trying things on. I can get away with the Nikes I've tried, since they have roomy forefoot area (especially in the more minimal shoes, like the Free Runs that I've been wearing) and the uppers seem to have plenty of give. For years I wore New Balance wides, until they changed the last on their running shoes and they've not fit me right since.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by happyscientist View Post
    I saw that Speed-play makes a pedal that is supposed to be easier release than their regular ones, which I have heard can be hard to get out of. Has anyone tried them?
    I have not tried them out, but I was sent (mistakenly... I actually ordered Zero's) a pair of SpeedPlay Light Action pedals, that I never got around to returning. I still have them around somewhere. They are new in the box and I'd be happy to sell them at a discount, as I have no use for them. They sell for $115 online. I'd be willing to let them go for $80 plus shipping. PM me (anyone who might want them!) if you are interested.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Lake's website says they have a North American distributor, Stage Race. But if you go to Stage Race's website, they don't list any Lake dealers. Maybe people could ask their larger LBSs to inquire about stocking Lake shoes. I'm so very glad I got mine from an overstock site before they all went away (thanks to Colby for the tip!). My men's EE Lake road shoes are NOT too wide in the heels and only press on the sides of my toes a tiny bit, although I really need to take mine to a cobbler to shorten the instep strap. (I tried on a couple of pairs of Northwave shoes once and found them super pointy in the toes ... YMMV.)

The foot measuring deals only show me being between a D and EE. I have long toes, and I think that has something to do with it also. It means that my feet are wide through a greater length than someone with shorter toes. My foot volume is actually on the low side, so instep height can cause me as much trouble as heel width.

OT trivia. The "foot measuring thing" is called a Brannock Device. Go forth and educate.

That is all.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Actually that isn't all. About 3 months ago I switched to the entry level Specialized road shoes from mountain bike shoes. The shoes combined with Speedplay X pedals have virtually eliminated my knee pain. I did find that I had to go up one size in the shoes (I normally wear a 36) but this allows me to use slightly thicker socks. I can really tell a difference in the angle of my knee when wearing the Specialized shoes with the wedge design.

I think there might be something to the Specialized shoes. Now the knee improvement you are seeing is from the Speedplay pedals, as I went to these pedals years ago for that reason.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I have not tried them out, but I was sent (mistakenly... I actually ordered Zero's) a pair of SpeedPlay Light Action pedals, that I never got around to returning. I still have them around somewhere. They are new in the box and I'd be happy to sell them at a discount, as I have no use for them. They sell for $115 online. I'd be willing to let them go for $80 plus shipping. PM me (anyone who might want them!) if you are interested.
    Thanks, but I try not to buy myself things this time of year. I have put in a request with Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I think there might be something to the Specialized shoes. Now the knee improvement you are seeing is from the Speedplay pedals, as I went to these pedals years ago for that reason.
    Oh, agreed! But I do think that having my knee, given its anatomical wonkiness, appreciates being aligned properly in relation to my ankle. It takes the stress off of it. However, I do so love that 15 degress of float with my Speedplays!