Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Anyone from the Lexington/Louiville Area?

I had this crazy idea about doing some sort of tour in every state in the US. Today I read a story about the Bourbon Trail in KY. Why not combine both things that I love? LOL well, not drinking WHILE I ride of course. Has anyone done this tour? It is not actually on a trail but they have maps and cues for 143 miles and 6 distilleries. http://kybourbontrail.com/biketrail/long.html

My question is how bad are the hills? I am from a VERY flat part of Michigan. Just courious and dreaming on this cool November afternoon. I could potentially combine this with a ride into Indiana and hop an Amtrack back home. These are the things I usually conjure up while on the trainer!
    Touring this great country, one State at a time! Michigan Summer 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowspoke View Post
    I had this crazy idea about doing some sort of tour in every state in the US. Today I read a story about the Bourbon Trail in KY. Why not combine both things that I love? LOL well, not drinking WHILE I ride of course. Has anyone done this tour? It is not actually on a trail but they have maps and cues for 143 miles and 6 distilleries. http://kybourbontrail.com/biketrail/long.html

My question is how bad are the hills? I am from a VERY flat part of Michigan. Just courious and dreaming on this cool November afternoon. I could potentially combine this with a ride into Indiana and hop an Amtrack back home. These are the things I usually conjure up while on the trainer!
    I'll show that cue sheet to my husband. He grew up in Frankfort, KY, went to school at UK and is pretty familiar with the area. I did a tour of Jack Daniels in Tennessee and one tour of a distillery is enough for me; I'm not sure I'd enjoy stopping at six of them. But if it's something that interests you......

I have ridden around Lexington quite a bit as we do the Horsey Hundred every year over Memorial Day weekend. It's lovely riding around Lexington. Yes, there are hills. Some of them are steep; some of them are just rolling. Most of them are pretty short. The worst that happens is that you walk here and there. The bigger issue, IMO, is that there are long stretches where there are few services. At times, it can feel rather remote. If you're going to do an unsupported tour, just make sure you have more than enough water and supplies. If you'd like to do a supported tour, consider the Horsey or the Old Kentukcy Home tour in September. Both are multi-day events and will expose you to some lovely riding with great support.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I looked at the home page, and they keep using words like hilly, scenic, challenging, and experienced cyclists. If you decide to do it, take your climbing legs, is how I read that.

That said, it looks like a lot of fun, especially if you decide to make it a multi-day tour that includes nifty B&Bs. (OK, you got me dreaming now.) It's worth a little more research, that's for sure.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I have done part of the trail by car. Of course, the road looks completely different on a bike compared to from the passenger seat of a car. I didn't think it was particularly hilly, but I live in WV. I think Indysteel's description is pretty good-not too long, but of varying steepness. For what it is worth, I wouldn't want to do it alone. I didn't see any drunk drivers, but I would be concerned. There can be safety in numbers, and it is always good to have someone to call 911. Only kind of related, there is a relay running race there that looks like fun.
    I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood--Susan B. Anthony

Thanks for the info. I would definately do this with a group of friends. I also have a cousin that lives in Simpsonville (in between Louiville and Lexington) so I know I would have help if I really got myself in The horsey hundred sounds great as I am also a horse back rider! I'll look into that too.
    Touring this great country, one State at a time! Michigan Summer 2013.