Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

What equipment would I need to have on my bike in order to use Strava? I currently use a Garmin FR60 with a GSC sensor. My Garmin does not have GPS. Would I need something along the lines of a Garmin Edge 500 or 800? I would love to use Strava, but don't know what I would need to go about doing so. Thanks!

I would join a TE Strava club!
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by MMEZ View Post
    What equipment would I need to have on my bike in order to use Strava? I currently use a Garmin FR60 with a GSC sensor. My Garmin does not have GPS. Would I need something along the lines of a Garmin Edge 500 or 800? I would love to use Strava, but don't know what I would need to go about doing so. Thanks!
    It's an iPhone app too.
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by MojoGrrl View Post
    It's an iPhone app too.
    No smart phone here - I live in Germany and don't get very good cell coverage in our little village. I only have a pay-as-you-go phone

Quote Originally Posted by MMEZ View Post
    Just go to Strava.com and check it out. I'm sure there are specifics somewhere that tell you what you need. I have a Garmin Edge 500. I'm sure you need something with GPS as Strava uploads your actual route.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I got tired of my phone running out of batteries while riding , plus when you plan on be on the saddle for 4+ hours then U wont be able to record the whole ride and you still going to run out of battery even with a full charged phone. So I just wanted to be able to record and upload my rides to strava, I didn't want nothing fancy , it does not have the nice modern graphics and it does not tell you where you at , but its good enough for my needs without having to spend a lot of money. I got me one of the older Garmin GPS devices... a Garmin Edge 305 . I got it with all the accesories sensors, mount, Heart rate strap etc etc..(of course it is a used one) but for 80 bucks it does a lot of stuff, the only thing it does not have is the nicer graphics and the GPS maps but once you record your ride and upload it to Strava it does it just like the more current models with every turn and every road you rode.....
    I am loving it!...no more worrying about my phone dying. Last time I used it it was on for about 6 hours and still had some charge left. Get yourself used one in good working order.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

I would totally join a TE Strava club. "If you build it they will come."

I love Strava too even though I'm not in the fitness/competitive league of some of you lasses. Started with my iPhone but same problem already mentioned ref the battery fade-out so now use Garmin 500. It's encouraged me to increase my distances and efforts up hills, not so much in comparison with anyone else but just with myself. It certainly is a bit addictive: the first thing I do after a ride is to download and check out the route, climbs, speeds etc. What always consoles me when I look at segment results against other women is that while I might be 8th/10 or 30th/50, as soon as I specify comparison with my age group (55-64) I'm usually 1st... This may be because I'm the fastest of my age but more likely it signifies that I'm the only one of my age nutty enough to be on Strava! Believe it or not, I've even been QOM once or twice but can't imagine how, as they're not segments I've set up and it always seems I'm the only one to have ridden them. Never mind, I still get The Buzz from it :-)))
    Jul 2013 - Genesis Croix de Fer
    Nov 2012 - 5yr old Specialized Ruby Comp
    2007 - Giant Cypress hybrid

I usually come in as 734th out of 804 riders, so don't expect major victories on the Strava front. But every so often I beat my own time, which is sort of fun.

What I do like about it is knowing more or less how many km I have ridden this year, minus the rides when I left the Garmin at home, of course.

Oh gosh I love Strava. I basically don't have any QOMs on segments anyone else has ever ridden, but I enjoy the 'carrot' of chasing whatever woman is ahead of me on hills in our neighborhood. Just yesterday I PRed on a hill in my neighborhood, because I had a goal time of the Strava person in front of me. Now, I'm gearing for the next lady. I can see how someone might get too competitive with it but I accept that I will never be the strongest rider out there and just have fun

I'm also sometimes motivated to get out there solely because people will see my miles on Strava.

And yes, I would join a TE Strava group. I don't follow many female cyclists.